ATH-M50's or HD 25 1 II's or Ultrasone Pro 750's.
Jul 4, 2011 at 3:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

oldmate

1000+ Head-Fier
Now I have my entry level rig and a reasonable set of IEM's I'm after a set of full size cans but living where I do I am unable to audition them but after reading a few threads here I have come up with a choice of 3.

I listen to most genres with the exception of classical and hip hop.

Some advice would be appreciated - thanks.

Jul 4, 2011 at 4:03 AM Post #2 of 16
HD-25 are on ears..but extremely good..

Concerning the rest, the ATH M50 is a all-in-one can but I ve never auditioned them..

Jul 4, 2011 at 4:45 AM Post #3 of 16
Yeah - I'm leaning towards the Sennheiser's but will have to source from the US as they are bloody expensive in Australia. I can get the ATH-M50's for $169.00 locally.

Still got a week to think about it.

Thanks for your reply - cheers mate.

Jul 4, 2011 at 4:51 AM Post #4 of 16
You can't go wrong with either the 25 or the M50.  Personally I am partial to the M50...a good, all-around can.  I've never heard the 750.

Jul 4, 2011 at 4:52 AM Post #5 of 16

Quote:
Yeah - I'm leaning towards the Sennheiser's but will have to source from the US as they are bloody expensive in Australia. I can get the ATH-M50's for $169.00 locally.

Still got a week to think about it.

Thanks for your reply - cheers mate

Maybe it helps..Just ordered the M50 and SRH 940 so I will mkae a comparison..

Jul 4, 2011 at 5:04 AM Post #6 of 16

Quote:
Maybe it helps..Just ordered the M50 and SRH 940 so I will mkae a comparison..

Yeah that would be good info to take on board - I guess you should pay as much as you can afford though I'm fairly new to this so to me even the ATH-M50's would blow me away sound wise - the HD 25 1 II's got a sensational rap here though - still leaning that way. Then again the Koss KSC75's get a good rap!!

Pain in the ass having to buy without hearing 1st.

Cheers mate.

Jul 4, 2011 at 6:27 AM Post #7 of 16

Quote:
Yeah that would be good info to take on board - I guess you should pay as much as you can afford though I'm fairly new to this so to me even the ATH-M50's would blow me away sound wise - the HD 25 1 II's got a sensational rap here though - still leaning that way. Then again the Koss KSC75's get a good rap!!

Pain in the ass having to buy without hearing 1st.

Cheers mate.

Wednesday maybe tomorrow would be the day..

Jul 4, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #9 of 16
Now looking at Shure SRH840's as well - I'm really after headphones that are balanced with a slight emphasis on bass ie I don't want the bass to drown out the mids or highs - I can see why people have a few sets of headphones for music genres - is there a perfect all rounder?

If anybody here is a fan of Larry Calrton's Friends album I would say that is my reference/test cd for decision.

The research continues....

Jul 6, 2011 at 1:57 AM Post #10 of 16
OK - just ordered the Shure SRH750DJ for $144 delivered.

According to the reviews they are a good 1st time all rounder.

Thanks for all your advice even though I ignored it - when I'm up for some serious headphones I will be back!!

Cheers.

Jul 9, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #11 of 16
Arrived yesterday and gave them 15 minutes of pink noise with a 3 minute break for 8 hours.

Now I'm no audiophile but when I went to bed and played Stevie Ray Vaughan's Couldn't Stand the Weather the track Tin Pan Alley sounded sensational.

I went with these cans simple because of cost and so far I can recommend them for entry level phones - gonna be digging up all my SRV and Albert King CD's today and converting them to FLAC.

In case anybody is interested I'm using a 5th gen iPod with iBasso D6 and LOD - would be interested to know if a topflight opamp kit would improve the blues sound at all but overall I'm very happy.

Giving them another 12 hours of burn in today and see if they get any better - if thats possible for my ears.

Cheers.

Jul 9, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #12 of 16
1 question.  are you getting these for general listening?  they say DJ headphones so i was just curious.........i myself am looking into some new cans and have heard about these

Jul 9, 2011 at 3:51 AM Post #13 of 16
Yeah - I got them for general listening and I did not want to spend a lot of money - DJ Headphones have earpieces that swivel so you can jump in and out of the sound easily  and fold up for travel. I was looking at more expensive brands but was on a budget. So far I gotta say I am very happy with my purchase and that they suit my listening style very well.

Cheers.

Aug 11, 2011 at 9:09 PM Post #14 of 16
quick question bout the M50's.............do they come with straight or coiled cord??  i have seen a pic of both but i THINK the coiled one was an older version or something?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back