ATH M50s flatter bass after burn in? Can the "subs" bust?
Jun 27, 2011 at 6:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

WhiteLabel

New Head-Fier
Hi guys

When I first got the M50s, the bass was, full and accurate with a rich depth. Now it is flat, less forward with less rumble. The highs appear slightly harsher. I used them for dubstep at full volume with a Fiio E5. Are the cans bust? The sound seems night and day..Any ideas?

Jun 27, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #3 of 14
Yes the bass lessens some after burn-in.  Still very neutral bass though-- more accurate bass than it is before 50 hours or so.  E5 has its own bass boost though, doesn't it?  You should be set if you need more bass.  Listening at full volume seems like it might not be too good on your ears though.  Your eardrums might be busted, and not the headphones.

Jun 27, 2011 at 7:03 PM Post #4 of 14
You may be right. I'll have my ears checked. But the bass used to rattle the phones. Nowadays its flat, after some 200 hours burn in. Are there any part of the phones that could be broken, causing a lacking bass? Thanks for your help, and putting up with a noob

Jun 27, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #5 of 14
Holy ****, full volume?? Whoa! Yeah, you may need to get your ears checked....

Also, what's your source? Maybe you need to turn up the volume a little bit on your source?

I know it can be apples to oranges, but when I plug my iPhone 4 to my gf's car stereo via AUX cable, I found that I need to put my iPhone at around 75% volume, then adjust her car's stereo volume to get the proper listening volume. It's weird, but at lower than 75% volume on iPhone, bass and details on the highs seem to suffer; while going above 75% tends to make the bass too overwhelming.

On the flip side -- with my X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty sound card + AstroGaming Mixamp 5.8 + M50, I find that I need to bring the volume from down to slightly below 50% to prevent distortion, then adjust the volume on my Mixamp to get to my listening volume.

Wouldn't hurt to give it a try, if you haven't done it yet.....

Jun 27, 2011 at 11:14 PM Post #7 of 14
I experienced the same thing with my M50's. After a few days of listening the bass lost some quantity and got a little bit tighter. And the highs did seem harsher. I found them to be too piercing half the time, so I slapped some DT250 pads on them. Those pads bring down the highs and bring up the bass, but not by much.

Jun 28, 2011 at 9:20 AM Post #8 of 14

Quote:
I experienced the same thing with my M50's. After a few days of listening the bass lost some quantity and got a little bit tighter. And the highs did seem harsher. I found them to be too piercing half the time, so I slapped some DT250 pads on them. Those pads bring down the highs and bring up the bass, but not by much.

Do you think yours may be faulty? This happened to mine after 5 months.

Jun 28, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #10 of 14
If a person like yourself craves the bass to the point of having to listen to the M50s at max volume on the E5 even with bass boost, then perhaps it's worthwhile considering a different headphone that's actually meant to be a bass monster.  M50s are monitors that just so happen to have rich bass.

I've heard good things about the Audio Technica Pro 700mk2.

Jun 28, 2011 at 1:14 PM Post #12 of 14
Heya,

If you want to test your M50's, here's something to try: BassHead BassNectar Also listen to this track and this track.
Or listen to a real song, like Euge Groove's Chillaxin (I prefer to use something like this).

Listen to the whole thing with your eyes shut.

Tell us how it sounded on your M50's. Also try with any headphone that you want to test bass on.

Very best,

Jun 28, 2011 at 4:04 PM Post #13 of 14
This song will truly tell you if your subs are gone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FonmhUBsXOY&hd=1

Put it at 1080p and brace yourself, at around 32 seconds the ultra low frequency bass will kick in that is pretty much continuous throughout the song. On crappy headphones it will sound terrible, I used it with my iBuds and all I got was a loud fuzzy noise and I couldn't even hear the vocals. Then on my beats pro it was amazing, you can literally feel the bass rather than hear it.

Jun 28, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #14 of 14
Heya,

More bass testing music: I Remember (Caspa Remix) by Kaskade & Deadmau5 (720p & 1080p)

The frequencies in this one get very low, and don't stop and they have a flutter to them. If your headphones can do the bass and do it well, this will rattle your skull.

Very best,
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back