ATH-M50S Cord Question...
Jan 12, 2011 at 12:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

flipdac

New Head-Fier
I recently got the M50S headphones... can someone who has them tell me about the spring at the end of the cord?  The spring on mine is not attached to the plug so it slides down at times - is this how it's supposed to be?  Seems like it is meant to be attached to the plug...

Thanks in advance!

Jan 12, 2011 at 1:02 PM Post #2 of 20

Quote:
I recently got the M50S headphones... can someone who has them tell me about the spring at the end of the cord?  The spring on mine is not attached to the plug so it slides down at times - is this how it's supposed to be?  Seems like it is meant to be attached to the plug...

Thanks in advance!

yeah, it's supposed to be attached to the plug, ask for a refund/exchange

Jan 12, 2011 at 1:21 PM Post #3 of 20
Ah, so it is, then.  That's too bad... hopefully the fixing/replacing process won't be too long winded and annoying.

To anyone who wants to know, I bought them from B&H, and they seem to be legit (not overseas knockoffs).

Jan 12, 2011 at 1:24 PM Post #4 of 20

Quote:
Ah, so it is, then.  That's too bad... hopefully the fixing/replacing process won't be too long winded and annoying.

To anyone who wants to know, I bought them from B&H, and they seem to be legit (not overseas knockoffs).

don't deal with audio technica, just ask B&H for a refund/exchange 

Jan 12, 2011 at 1:34 PM Post #5 of 20
Yep, that's what I was planning on doing
cool.gif

Thanks for the response.  Maybe if I get lucky B&H will just send me another one!
evil_smiley.gif

Kind of strange that the spring was off, huh?  No idea how that could've happened, but I can assure you it did come in the box (white) that way.

Jan 12, 2011 at 1:36 PM Post #6 of 20

Quote:
Yep, that's what I was planning on doing
cool.gif

Thanks for the response.  Maybe if I get lucky B&H will just send me another one!
evil_smiley.gif

Kind of strange that the spring was off, huh?  No idea how that could've happened, but I can assure you it did come in the box (white) that way.

from my past observation, the spring isn't soldered into the plug, more like it was attached solely by the force of the spring itself exerted onto the plugs innards 

Jan 12, 2011 at 2:42 PM Post #8 of 20
pretty sure you can just force it back in cuz its not held by anything other than the end of the plug housing

Jan 12, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:
Just stick it back in and enjoy the music.

Quote:
pretty sure you can just force it back in cuz its not held by anything other than the end of the plug housing

Slaughter, the 2nd part... yes, I definitely will, haha.  The first part though... trust me, I've tried.  The widest part of the spring, which is meant to be inside the plug, is too wide to be forced back into it.  (The end of the plug hole is less wide than the end of the spring, so that the spring cannot come out.  Or at least I think.  Evidently it didn't work in this situation...)

When I get home today I'll keep trying though; maybe I'll use my college engineering skills and think of something creative, lol.

Jan 12, 2011 at 3:06 PM Post #10 of 20

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Slaughter, the 2nd part... yes, I definitely will, haha.  The first part though... trust me, I've tried.  The widest part of the spring, which is meant to be inside the plug, is too wide to be forced back into it.  (The end of the plug hole is less wide than the end of the spring, so that the spring cannot come out.  Or at least I think.  Evidently it didn't work in this situation...)

When I get home today I'll keep trying though; maybe I'll use my college engineering skills and think of something creative, lol.

I'm thinking they shoved the spring in there before they plugged the casing of the jack up with wiring

Jan 12, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #11 of 20
 Quote:
I'm thinking they shoved the spring in there before they plugged the casing of the jack up with wiring

That would make sense as to how the spring is put in there...

I know the headphones still work perfectly, but there are some things that get my OCD tendencies going, haha.  We all have 'em though, right?  Right? Right? ... 
blink.gif
        haha

Jan 12, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #12 of 20

Quote:
 Quote:

That would make sense as to how the spring is put in there...

I know the headphones still work perfectly, but there are some things that get my OCD tendencies going, haha.  We all have 'em though, right?  Right? Right? ... 
blink.gif
        haha

strain relief is needed for long term longevity of the cabling

Jan 12, 2011 at 3:27 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:
strain relief is needed for long term longevity of the cabling

True, hopefully I can fix it.  If I can't, though, I'm not sure it would be worth it to go through emailing B&H, sending it back in, fixing/replacing, etc.  We'll see.  Thanks again for the responses... I will gloat here in triumph if I can get the spring back in.

Jan 12, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #14 of 20
You know, I may just glue it - the diameter of the end of the spring (which you can't see if it is where it is supposed to be) gets wider to the point that it is bigger than the diameter of the hole... I simply can't force it in.  (contain yourself)

Can't stand the spring sliding around though :)

Jan 12, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #15 of 20

Quote:
You know, I may just glue it - the diameter of the end of the spring (which you can't see if it is where it is supposed to be) gets wider to the point that it is bigger than the diameter of the hole... I simply can't force it in.  (contain yourself)

Can't stand the spring sliding around though :)

just ask for a refund/exchange because they're clearly defective...B&H will probably pay for shipping on both ends

Users who are viewing this thread

Back