ATH-M50s arrived
Oct 5, 2009 at 5:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

T.N.T.

New Head-Fier
I'm impressed and happy with my purchase
smily_headphones1.gif

On my quest for more perfect audio I have the following questions.... I dislike messing with audio channel's of my Xonar D2 control center... Its usually left on 8 Channel or 2 Channel...it recommend 2 channel for music and 8 channel for dolby/surround/movies... I can listen to iTunes library etc. just fine either way, but can someone help me to understand audio channel implications for headphones? I have analog out set to headphones now, but 5.1 also works, and my speakers are 5.1 Dolby Headphone sounds nice, a little bit reverb driven for my ears which creates fake space it would seem.

Anyhow... I'm just trying to figure out the best configuration for Channels/Analog out/Dolby Pro Logic/7.1 Virtual/DTS/Dolby Headphone etc. for my set.

I'm going to run IsoTek cd every other day to help improve and speed up burn in. I don't have an amp, and am running the set analog out from sound card. Will try it on my iPod soon.

Also I will have to try speakers control pod headphone out vs. soundcard headphone out... grant you i've been listening to them for like 5minutes, and have yet to try both. Hopefully the sound quality will be the same. So far I've noticed the control pod out sounds good

These are just some initial first impressions.

Thoughts?

Oct 5, 2009 at 7:56 PM Post #2 of 10
I don't really have a response to your post, but just wanted to know if there's anybody else who's constantly wondering if ATH-M50s means the M50 with a straight cord or if it is the plural of M50. This annoyance is the final push I needed to never again refer to a single headphone in plural. It's not a pair of headphones, it's a single headphone, people!

Oct 5, 2009 at 8:08 PM Post #3 of 10
Are you from the Netherlands?
(I also have the tendency to speak of a pair (een paar) in Dutch, all because of this forum)
Yes in Dutch it is more consistent.

Oct 5, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #4 of 10
ATH-M50s means with a straight cord, and not plural, lol...but I think only certain models make the distinction with marketing/labeling... good observation

So I've done 1 full run of IsoTek cd (1hr5min apx.) and from initial listening, its really opened up the bass and clarity of the highs...heavy instrumental ROCK sounds phenomenal and I'm really digging the sonic clarity of this set... feels like listening to music how it was originally recorded on high end speakers... you can pick out occasional quality issues with the mp3s themselves and discrepancies. Everything I've thrown at it thus far has sounded good, if not exceptional
smily_headphones1.gif

I listen to almost every genre of music, with classic rock, rap, and dance being my top 3... I really like how Basshunter is sounding
biggrin.gif
Hearing new subtle sounds never heard before!

Oct 5, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #5 of 10
These cans benefit from some pretty hefty burn in....mine started to open up around 50 hours and were totally improved by 100...

Oct 6, 2009 at 12:54 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bengt77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's not a pair of headphones, it's a single headphone, people!

It seems that you are wrong. From the dictionary.com definition below we see that they are usually referred to in the plural. Two ears, thus two phones, or a pair, set, etc... eh. Maybe your local variation of English has developed a different way of speaking of these things, thus your anxiety in this matter? Nobody I know has ever said something like: "I'm going to get a new headphone." What people say in a situation like this is: "I'm going to get a new pair of headphones.", or "I'm going to get a new set of headphones."

head⋅phone
–noun Usually, headphones.

Oct 6, 2009 at 9:08 AM Post #7 of 10
Oct 6, 2009 at 9:19 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by runswithaliens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seems that you are wrong. From the dictionary.com definition below we see that they are usually referred to in the plural. Two ears, thus two phones, or a pair, set, etc... eh. Maybe your local variation of English has developed a different way of speaking of these things, thus your anxiety in this matter? Nobody I know has ever said something like: "I'm going to get a new headphone." What people say in a situation like this is: "I'm going to get a new pair of headphones.", or "I'm going to get a new set of headphones."

head⋅phone
–noun Usually, headphones.

Indeed, it's like pants. You talk about them as a 'pair' even though you never buy just one leg
tongue.gif

Oct 6, 2009 at 9:27 AM Post #9 of 10
He's from the Netherlands, where it is called a headphone (hoofdtelefoon)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back