ATH-M50 vs. Ultrasone HFI 580 vs. Shure SRH840
Jul 11, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #16 of 32
Quote:
Long lasting headphones:

HFI-580 can break easily, I've seen bad aftermath pics

I had the HFI 580 for about half a year and I threw them around. They ended up scratched all over the place and had dents on the cups. They were still going strong but I gave them to my friend that's a DJ and he uses them all the time for his DJing gigs. The HFI 580 is very very strong as far as I know.

The M50 looks to be built strong too but IMO, the HFI 580 is the better headphone, especially for bass oriented genres.

Jul 11, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #17 of 32

Quote:
For their sound quality, not for their build quality. Other than newer models, most Shure headphones feel flimsy compared to other cans of comparable prices.

Please expand on this.  As far as I was aware, Shure have only released their cans in the last couple of years (May 2009 to be exact).  That pretty makes all their headphones 'new'.  German Cub was specifically referring to the 840's (which I own and are very solid).  For the price ($129 street), they are very good quality.  What cans do Shure make which are not good build quality?  You said "most" - but from what I have actually experienced myself, and also what I have read on head-fi, this is not what I see.  Maybe the 750DJ (supposed to be creaky) - but all the SRH's look pretty solid to me.

Jul 14, 2011 at 1:07 AM Post #22 of 32
Is that so? Two of my friends have the M50s and they really enjoy them. I tried them out on multiple occasions and they sounds really good, even if I don't really know about this audiophile stuff I could still hear a difference. I really suck at making decisions. But from what I've been told I won't be disappointed with which ever one of the two I buy. I'm leaning more toward the M50s since I have listen to music on them before and I don't want to take a chance on the HFI-580 unless someone proves to me they are the better choice.

Jul 14, 2011 at 2:02 AM Post #25 of 32
I find the 580s outstanding for listening to anything energetic, especially electronic music. They are really fun headphones. However, the coloured sound (big bass, brightness, recessed mids) would make them less suitable for production than something more neutral (M50).

Edit: Regarding build quality, I have owned the SRH440 (cheaper than 840) and HFi 580. Both are built like tanks and I have no idea how you could break them without intentional force/standing on them with full weight. I imagine the M50 are much the same.

Jul 14, 2011 at 2:23 AM Post #26 of 32

Quote:
Long lasting headphones:

HFI-580 can break easily, I've seen bad aftermath pics
SRH-840 are kinda cheaply built. The pads won't last long also

M50's are known for their build

M50's are my choice for you. Good sound fro dubstep, great comfort and great build.

what? your kidding right. those headphones are extremely durable, and the pads don't flake or harden like many pairs of headphones (including the m50s)

Jul 14, 2011 at 4:08 AM Post #27 of 32

Quote:
I find the 580s outstanding for listening to anything energetic, especially electronic music. They are really fun headphones. However, the coloured sound (big bass, brightness, recessed mids) would make them less suitable for production than something more neutral (M50).

But he's into bass reproduction. That's a big +1 to the HFI-580.

Quote:
what? your kidding right. those headphones are extremely durable, and the pads don't flake or harden like many pairs of headphones (including the m50s)

Weren't you the one that said that the SRH840 was cheaply built and undurable?

Jul 14, 2011 at 4:19 AM Post #28 of 32

Quote:

Yeah - but let's not go over that history again shall we 
wink.gif

I can attest to the fact that the 840 is very, very robust.  As to Botbyte's crack about the pads - just goes to show he's talking through a hole in his head - nothing could be further from the truth.

Jul 14, 2011 at 5:09 AM Post #29 of 32

Quote:

But he's into bass reproduction. That's a big +1 to the HFI-580.

structurally they are really good. driver wise im not so sure. i think i might have blown it or something. either way it's not the headphones fault.

Jul 14, 2011 at 6:06 AM Post #30 of 32
I think since you've heard m50 and actually like it, then its the safest option here.

Btw Ultrasone house sound signature may not sound good to everyone imo..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back