ATH M50 vs Sony MBR XB700 For Techno-Step
Jul 18, 2012 at 12:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

pichu

500+ Head-Fier
So when it comes to dubstep, bass and drum , brostep, trance, house, dance, techno , electronic, hip hob, and rap, which headphones comes out on top for best sounding quality. i understand that the M50 is known for being the best sub $200 pair, but the sony's are exposed to be amde for this kidn of music? If this is all I will listen to. Whats my best bet? Also no amp or dac.

Jul 18, 2012 at 2:45 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:
So when it comes to dubstep, bass and drum , brostep, trance, house, dance, techno , electronic, hip hob, and rap, which headphones comes out on top for best sounding quality. i understand that the M50 is known for being the best sub $200 pair, but the sony's are exposed to be amde for this kidn of music? If this is all I will listen to. Whats my best bet? Also no amp or dac.

im sorry, i have to ask....what in the %^* is brostep??? 

Jul 18, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #5 of 19
If that's all you listen to, try the sony xb-1000. I have the xb-700 + xb-1000 and I've owned the m50, and if those 3 were the only ones I owned right now and I wanted to listen to electronica/dNb/dub - I'd get the xb-1000's out.

Jul 18, 2012 at 3:34 PM Post #6 of 19
I put my money on the M50s and they do the job just fine and still keeps the detail which i find important for genres like psytrance, hardtrance, hardtechno etc..

On the other hand the panasonic HTF-600 delivers the maddest bass i ever heard ( not a bass head and have not heard the XB or the ultrasones ) The bass on these packs a huge punch..Deep, and kicks like mule. Not even half the build quality of the M50s which is a shame really..

The best part is..they are so cheap it does not matter :)

Jul 18, 2012 at 4:04 PM Post #7 of 19
Personally like the ultrasone sound for dubstep and bass heavy songs. 

The M audio Q40 is another option. 

Jul 18, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:
i would recommend the ultrasone hfi-580

x2 for 580
Quote:
I put my money on the M50s and they do the job just fine and still keeps the detail which i find important for genres like psytrance, hardtrance, hardtechno etc..

On the other hand the panasonic HTF-600 delivers the maddest bass i ever heard ( not a bass head and have not heard the XB or the ultrasones ) The bass on these packs a huge punch..Deep, and kicks like mule. Not even half the build quality of the M50s which is a shame really..

The best part is..they are so cheap it does not matter :)

The HTF-600 is not a bass champ in my opinion. I think something like Ultrasone easily trounces the pannies. 

Quote:
Personally like the ultrasone sound for dubstep and bass heavy songs. 

The M audio Q40 is another option. 

x3 for Ultrasone

M Audio and the Sony's you talk about aren't bad either. 

Jul 18, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #9 of 19
X4 for the Ultrasones.

I guarantee you will not be disappointed with the Ultrasones if you are looking at hard hitting electronic music.... With $200.00 I would get the HFI 780 for $150 and still have $50.00 left over to get a Fiio amp/ dac like the E10. 

http://www.amazon.com/Ultrasone-HFI-780-Surround-Professional-Headphones/dp/B00101XVH2/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1342646608&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=ultrasone+HFI+780

Ultrasone is thick and heavy in bass straight out of the iPod.... but they still have a warm and fun overall sound signature.... Plus the S-Logic gives you a pretty dynamic soundstage.
They will clobber anything in that price range except for maybe the Audio Technica Pro700Mk2.... But the Mark 2 has nothing to offer but bass.

The Aiaiai TMA1 is considered an "electronica" type headphone.... but I've never heard it through a good source.... When I heard the AT M50 I was kinda underwhelmed by it..... Especially after just listening to the Ultrasone. It has some punchy bass but it seemed alot more like a reference grade headset to me than a musical headset.

Just my two cents.

Jul 18, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

x2 for 580

The HTF-600 is not a bass champ in my opinion. I think something like Ultrasone easily trounces the pannies. 

x3 for Ultrasone

M Audio and the Sony's you talk about aren't bad either. 

well how does the ultrasone 580 perform to the 780 and the m50's?

Jul 18, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:
well how does the ultrasone 580 perform to the 780 and the m50's?

I can tell you that I only own and have heard the 780. I have read of the others extensively. Honestly, the Ultrasone's are considered by many to be the best for electronic music. It's my opinion they will carry cleaner bass than the M50. The bass of the 780 is solid. The bass of the 580 is a step up in quantity and impact, and the reason I, and others, recommend it for you. As evidenced by this graph, the 580 steps up the sub and mid-bass. 

I tell you what man - your dream headphone is the Ultrasone Pro 900. If there is any way you can save up and swing that, they are the authority in electronic music. You will be a happy man. 

Jul 18, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #13 of 19
ok, ill check them out..... getting job soon (turining 16) or i could jsut get them for christmas? price? are they really worth waiting till christmas? Is waiting for the 900 instead og 580 worth a 4 month wait?

Jul 18, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #15 of 19
No no. The price of the Pro 900 fluctuates drastically on Amazon. They go for about $330 - that's literally what they were yesterday. It's my opinion they are worth $330. But I tell you what. You have a lot of time to check out headphones. Your Journey has just begun. You will appreciate the Pro 900 much more after you've spent a while with the 580. The 580 is a fantastic headphone for the price. You're gonna love em. They will put a smile on your face, and rock your soul. There is nothing wrong with them. Start there, and go up. The Pro 900's aren't going anywhere. Ultrasone makes a great product, and the 580's will amaze you for years to come. Good luck man. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back