ATH-M50 vs ATH-ANC7B Help!
Sep 17, 2010 at 6:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

rebel7

New Head-Fier
I am on edge about both of these, I want good isolation, but I also want good sound quality. I am also going to be using these on an unamped Ipod classic, so I want to make sure that they sound good with just my Ipod. I listen to a lot of bass driven music, so bass is a BIG deal, I also don't want to have my Ipod maxed out on volume just to be able to hear the music. If anyone can give me good information on just one or both phones, and experience with a non amped ipod, I would be very appreciative. The ANC7Bs are said to work well with ipods, the m-50s say nothing about it, of course, these are studio headphones so I wouldn't expect it. Thanks.

Sep 17, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #2 of 16
I use my M-50s with a 5.5g ipod video and it has plenty of juice to push the headphones.  Some syth/electronic rock and industrial are the most bass heavy types of music I listen to and the ipod does just fine.  I have heard the bottom end will tighten up with an amp, but really I don't see the point and the M-50s are very easy to drive.

Sep 18, 2010 at 11:44 AM Post #4 of 16
M50 will sound much better than the ANC7B. No question.

Buy the ANC7B if you travel a lot, as it's noise canceling abilities works best with "low-constant" noises. It's cord I believe is also shorter.

Buy the M50 is you prefer better SQ all around. The M50 will passively isolate as good as the ANC7B, it just won't "noise cancel", something many don't really need. It's cord is about 10ft long though.

I did have the chance of owning the M50 for almost 2 weeks, and it is a fabulous headphone.

Sep 18, 2010 at 11:51 AM Post #5 of 16
I own a step down from it, the PRO5MS (like 60$ right now), no one seems to know much about it, I just want to make sure that these will sound better and not just sound the same. The only real difference is that the M50s have a bigger driver (45mm compared to 40mm). There are very small differences in the dbs and ohms but nothing substantial. The frequency and sensitivity are nearly the same. The M50s look to have better ear cups though and will probably isolate better. Do you still think they are worth it?

Sep 18, 2010 at 11:58 AM Post #6 of 16
This one would be up to you.

I honestly have never heard of that headphone, even after I looked it up. So I have no idea of the margin of improvement moving from that to the M50.

Just remember, driver size and frequency response, does not matter. At all. So you don't even have to bother looking at those.

Sep 18, 2010 at 1:07 PM Post #8 of 16
Hey rebel7,
I had the exact same problem a few months ago - couldn't decide between M50 and ANC7. I had both for a couple of weeks and compared them almost every night.
In short...

M50...
  1. for a non-NC headphone quite good isolation
  2. comfortable
  3. awesome (!) build quality ... it's a workhorse, for sure.
  4. Nice (fast, exact, not boomy) bass
  5. mediocre / disappointing mids - it could be a show stopper, if you like singer/songwriter or female vocals .
  6. the highs tend to be slightly harsh sometimes
  7. easy to drive .. don't worry about your DAP - it'll drive them just fine.

ANC7...
  1. Awesome isolation. You can't compare it with any (!) non-NC closed-back headphone. The NC is just way better!
  2. very light, small and comfortable
  3. You can hear a slight noise from the NC, when not playing music.
  4. Overall neutral to warm sound, very forgiving with mediocre to bad recordings... you could say that it's a "non-analytical" headphone.
  5. Bass is almost on par with the M50 - at least in terms of quantity, not quality (the M50 is slightly better)
  6. Mids are a bit forward and very nice.
  7. The highs are a bit recessed
  8. Easy to drive and a decent build quality

I am listening most of the time to singer/songwriter stuff and I didn't really like the recessed mids of the M50. I loved how sturdy they were and the very nice Bass. But for me the ANC7 were more comfortable and had better mids...
I definitely wouldn't say that the ANC7 is inferior to the M50. Furthermore the NC is awesome if you're living outside the woods in a big city...
wink.gif

regards.
bearmann

Sep 18, 2010 at 1:48 PM Post #9 of 16
Thank you so much bear, finally someone backs up the NC, now this makes it harder for me to choose. I am a college student and sound isolation is huge. I do listen to a lot of bass driven music, but I also listen to a lot of music with vocals. Is the bass present, obviously not as big as the 50s, but does it still hit? Do you EQ with it?

Sep 18, 2010 at 2:00 PM Post #10 of 16
The bass is present... IMHO more than enough in terms of quantity. It's really a pleasant sounding headphone.
I don't EQ and if you need something for the library, the ANC7 is a no-brainer!
smily_headphones1.gif

just my 2 cents.

regards.
bearmann

Sep 18, 2010 at 3:36 PM Post #12 of 16

Quote:
I have read that there is sound leakage, did you notice anything really wrong with them?

Hmmm... sorry, can't help you with that. At least nobody did complain when I was wearing them at the library.

regards.
bearmann

Sep 20, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #14 of 16
it looks like you already made your pick with the anc7b, but seem to be more afraid that it won't sound as good as a none NC full size headphone.  To be honest with you, most of the time if you are buying a NC headphone, there will be some sacrifice in SQ. 

If you do buy the anc7b, I heard that they are one of the best sound NC headphones.

if you do buy the M50, I can tell you that they sound good and have very good bass.

Oct 10, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #15 of 16
So, finally made your purchase? God! its tough to narrow down your list which I have from Senn HD,Sony MDR, Bose, ATH 7b etc. 
smily_headphones1.gif

and finally have the following 2 on my list.. ATH7 OR M50 but this thread doesn't help. Like you I need the bass but i dont want people to listen my music thru "leakage"

Please Help Me too.... Im drawn to ATH7 more cuz of the NC factor... 

Regards
o2smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back