ATH-M50 Upgrade
May 29, 2013 at 9:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Jonasklam

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 26, 2009
Posts
535
Likes
12
Hi guys,
 
So i have had the ATH-M50 for years now and would like to upgrade.
I have previously owned HD600, K701,TMA-1 etc. and waay too many IEMs.
 
But now a days I spent most of my time in front of a computer, and always listening to music.
I would like a headphone that runs well without amplification and is comfortable to wear for hours.
 
So what i am looking for:
- Better overall sound than the M50, open or closed design doesn't matter.
- COMFORTABLE!
- Runs well unamped, so that i can use them with my Laptop, PC, Phone etc.
 
What would you recommend?
beyersmile.png

 
May 29, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #2 of 9

kvtaco17

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Mar 29, 2013
Posts
1,667
Likes
133
What kind of music do you like? Budget?
 
May 29, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #4 of 9

kvtaco17

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Mar 29, 2013
Posts
1,667
Likes
133
If you want something better in every aspect I would recommend the a900x by audio technica. It literally does everything better then the m50. The soundstage is huge for a closed can, the bass quality will be better, tighter, more controlled... The miss amazing and not recessed like the m50 and the treble is well extended with some sparkle. However how important is bass quantity to you? The 900x will have less bass emphasis and be more neutral. If you can find a pair to audition I would strongly recommend to. That way you can judge the comfort and sound yourself. OR do what I did and buy them from amazon and try them. And if you don't like them your not stuck with them.
 
May 30, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #5 of 9

Jonasklam

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 26, 2009
Posts
535
Likes
12
Quote:
If you want something better in every aspect I would recommend the a900x by audio technica. It literally does everything better then the m50. The soundstage is huge for a closed can, the bass quality will be better, tighter, more controlled... The miss amazing and not recessed like the m50 and the treble is well extended with some sparkle. However how important is bass quantity to you? The 900x will have less bass emphasis and be more neutral. If you can find a pair to audition I would strongly recommend to. That way you can judge the comfort and sound yourself. OR do what I did and buy them from amazon and try them. And if you don't like them your not stuck with them.

Thanks for the recommendation. Bass quantity isn't super important, i like it when its there but i'd rather have refined bass quality.
However, the a900x aren't that much of an upgrade over the M50 are they? And, how do they compare to HD600?
 
I have been considering the Sennheiser Momentum and AKG K550 too, but same as with the a900x, I'm not really convinced they are that much of an upgrade.
 
May 30, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #6 of 9

kvtaco17

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Mar 29, 2013
Posts
1,667
Likes
133
I find them more fun or engaging then the hd600, the momentum I've never heard... The k550 I have heard and would consider both the 900x and akg's to be good upgrades in terms of soundstage and quality of sound.
 
May 30, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #7 of 9

Jonasklam

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 26, 2009
Posts
535
Likes
12
Quote:
I find them more fun or engaging then the hd600, the momentum I've never heard... The k550 I have and would consider both the 900x and akg's to be good upgrades in terms of soundstage and quality of sound.

 
Awesome, thanks for your input :)
Would you recommend a900x over k550? Unfortunately, I cannot try the a900x before purchase.
How about comfort, i'll be wearing these 6+ hours at a time.
 
May 30, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #8 of 9

kvtaco17

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Mar 29, 2013
Posts
1,667
Likes
133
Quote:
 
Awesome, thanks for your input :)
Would you recommend a900x over k550? Unfortunately, I cannot try the a900x before purchase.
How about comfort, i'll be wearing these 6+ hours at a time.

 
I prefer the a900x yes, now comfort wise this is gonna be up to you. AT's wing system works for most but not all, I'm one that it didn't work for, BUT it can be fixed with a rubber band pulling the wings together. If you have a average sized head or bigger you should be fine. (I'm a smaller guy so yeah) Once "fixed" the comfort was very good.
 
The k550's have smaller cups then the 900x so if you have big ears that's another thing to consider, I found them almost as comfortable as the 900x.
 
From a sound perspective you can't go wrong either way!
 
May 30, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #9 of 9

Jonasklam

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 26, 2009
Posts
535
Likes
12
Quote:
 
I prefer the a900x yes, now comfort wise this is gonna be up to you. AT's wing system works for most but not all, I'm one that it didn't work for, BUT it can be fixed with a rubber band pulling the wings together. If you have a average sized head or bigger you should be fine. (I'm a smaller guy so yeah) Once "fixed" the comfort was very good.
 
The k550's have smaller cups then the 900x so if you have big ears that's another thing to consider, I found them almost as comfortable as the 900x.
 
From a sound perspective you can't go wrong either way!

 
Thx man, I really appreciate your replies.
I'm a bit worried about the fit issues regarding the K550.
 
Also, i have added Sony MDR-1R to my consideration list. They should be extremely comfy and good for electronic genres of music.
 
I'll look more into the a900x too before i make my final decision, don't know much about them atm. But currently reading up :)
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top