ATH-M50 upgrade? HELP (urgent)
Sep 1, 2014 at 12:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Valhallatier

Head-Fier
hello, im trying to find a better sounding headphones like the ATH-M50 but sounds similar(frequency response). The reason i stated urgent is because in few more days, im gonna have my birthday and im planning to buy me a new headphone, so please help me. i may even go 'endgame' in this purchase

i actually have the beyer DT880, but even though they're a better cans, its just too analytical for just sitting down and enjoying music like if the recording is bad, then its BAD. The treble is kinda grainless but too smooth for my taste (i like it crisp) but i just found the ATH-M50 has the harshest treble even for my ears. soundstage wise, my 880 sound to distant in the vocals, its not intimate at all and lacks energy( I absolutely must have energy in every song!). Bass wise, i think the ATH M50 has it right but i want it the more tighter ( bloated fatiguing bass is a NO for me). i listen mostly to J-POP kind of stuff btw...
 Sum it up, i want it:
intimate
energetic
kinda mid centric (organic)
fast and non fatiguing bass
crisp,clear but not harsh highs
AND MOSTLY, sound kinda the same as the ATH-M50, but 'BETTER'

and have that feel that the singer is singing for you, and not just like the sound is just 'there' which my DT880 does, i kinda hate this

so can anyone recommend me a thing? i want it full size, open or close doesn't matter. budget is kinda high but not steep like HD800/LCD-2 range.
My candidates are: ( no grados ok)
audio technica W1000X
beyerdynamic T90
beyerdynamic T70
AKG K702

PLS reply ASAP

Sep 1, 2014 at 5:55 PM Post #3 of 16
Which version of the DT 880 do you have?  What do you use to drive it?

From your post, I'm getting the message that you want to downgrade from the 880 to a less accurate can that will be more forgiving of crappy recordings and mastering.  You also seem to seek a more colored sound than the near neutral (but slightly bright) 880.

Like cel, I'm at a loss to understand why you favor the recessed mids of the M50 over the 880.  See:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13#user_DT880

Sep 2, 2014 at 12:53 AM Post #7 of 16
Most people would say that the DT880s should have better mids/vocals than the M50s. So not sure how to advise you.

well yes it does! but i have the 250ohm pro version which has tamed 1-2khz area where the presence lies, i like this area alot, but also alot of cans are too overblown in this area which makes them 'nasal'.
  Which version of the DT 880 do you have?  What do you use to drive it?

From your post, I'm getting the message that you want to downgrade from the 880 to a less accurate can that will be more forgiving of crappy recordings and mastering.  You also seem to seek a more colored sound than the near neutral (but slightly bright) 880.

Like cel, I'm at a loss to understand why you favor the recessed mids of the M50 over the 880.  See:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13#user_DT880

pro 250 ohm. 880 bright? nah my ATH-M50 is WAYYYY brighter, i have the ASUS xonar essence STX sound card btw

Sep 2, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #8 of 16
Most people would say that the DT880s should have better mids/vocals than the M50s. So not sure how to advise you.

Yeah I got thrown off when you said "like the M50" and "mid centric".  You might want to try the HE-400i.  I haven't heard it myself but its commonly described traits fit your list quite well.  Though for most of the headphones you're looking at, you're probably gonna want more than a sound card.

Sep 2, 2014 at 3:38 AM Post #9 of 16
Originally Posted by Valhallatier /img/forum/go_quote.gif

pro 250 ohm. 880 bright? nah my ATH-M50 is WAYYYY brighter, i have the ASUS xonar essence STX sound card btw

Brighter yes--but also a very long way from neutral.

Neutral is the baseline--not the M50 "V" shaped sound signature.

Sep 2, 2014 at 6:23 AM Post #10 of 16

Yeah I got thrown off when you said "like the M50" and "mid centric".  You might want to try the HE-400i.  I haven't heard it myself but its commonly described traits fit your list quite well.  Though for most of the headphones you're looking at, you're probably gonna want more than a sound card.

ATH-M50 is definetely not mid centric, what im saying i that i like its timbre except its harsh highs.

Sep 2, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #12 of 16
Hmm, imo u might not be driving ur dt880 correctly, but well, audio is afterall about personal perception :). Anyway, to me it seems like grados will fit ur description of how u like headphones to sound. Mid centric, good treble sparkle, energetic, good bass response, excellent clarity.

Do audition grados if u have a chance. Personally i like Sr80e (Entry level grados), Ps500e, Ps1000(abit heavy though)

Sep 2, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #13 of 16
Hmm, imo u might not be driving ur dt880 correctly, but well, audio is afterall about personal perception
smily_headphones1.gif
. Anyway, to me it seems like grados will fit ur description of how u like headphones to sound. Mid centric, good treble sparkle, energetic, good bass response, excellent clarity.

Do audition grados if u have a chance. Personally i like Sr80e (Entry level grados), Ps500e, Ps1000(abit heavy though)

my DT880 sound amazeballs, maybe its what they call 'coloration', i like the color of sound from my M50 more if u get what im saying
biggrin.gif

grados? do they even have over ear design? sorry im noob with grados as they all look like on ear, im not an on ear guy...

Sep 2, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #14 of 16
Yeap. The grado series earpads are all interchangeable to over ear earpads. So even if you get an on-ear model, u can buy their bigger earpads which is for their over-ear model and fit onto the on-ear model. Although there will be some sonic changes to it. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back