ATH-M50 Substitute (Portable)
Oct 9, 2010 at 4:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Sloth

New Head-Fier
Hey Head-fi forums! Long time lurker, first time poster.
dt880smile.png

Well, straight to the point here. I switched from cheap-o $10 earbuds to headphones a few months back. I've never gone back. I decided to purchase the ATH-M50 based purely on the multitude of positive reviews it gets on here. I would like to personally thank you guys for this suggestion. Well, I commute to class everyday by bus and I've brought the M50 headphones out a few times. I've noticed that the seal on these headphones aren't very good so I can hear the bus sounds. Also, it's very bulky to carry, even if I just leave it on my neck. Now, I would like to purchase a pair of lighter, more portable headphones - ones that are possibly noise-canceling, but I'm not too picky about that. I just want a pair of headphones that I can leave around my neck the whole day. I don't like wrapping earbuds around my iTouch and jamming it in my pocket.

I know that you guys get many of these type of threads on a daily basis. I'm sorry if this is considered spam. I could search around here for some suggestions, but there's way too many brand names and models that I'd just get confused even more, lol!
confused_face(1).gif

I've kept my eye on these for while:
http://www.amazon.com/JVC-HAS700-Portable-Full-Size-Headphone/dp/B0013OWPVO
.. or the Sennheiser HD201s?

Oh, and I forgot to mention, many of my music is rock, alternative, acoustic, pop punk, etc. My budget is up to and around $30 - $40. Since I'm leaving the M50s for home use, I don't want to go overboard and splurge. By the way, I'm in no way condoning that these headphones even compare to the M50s. Sorry if I offend some people, lol.

Let me know what you think.

Again, thanks for the help!
smile_phones.gif

Oct 9, 2010 at 11:56 PM Post #5 of 26
lol yea i'm in the same boat as u. i have the m50's and klipsch s4 but also looking for a portable headphone for the bus.  I was looking at the has700, hd228, and xb300's.  Still undecided so far.

Oct 10, 2010 at 5:29 AM Post #6 of 26

Quote:
lol yea i'm in the same boat as u. i have the m50's and klipsch s4 but also looking for a portable headphone for the bus.  I was looking at the has700, hd228, and xb300's.  Still undecided so far.

HD228 is a bit out of my price range. I took a look at the xb300 and it seems that they leak a bit of noise. Thanks for the suggestions though.

Oct 10, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #8 of 26
Yeah, me too. I'll probably be ordering it tonight unless I get another opinion.. I just noticed it isn't covered by JVC's warranty though - a bit of a turnoff but it probably won't be as bad as I think (knock-on-wood).

Oct 10, 2010 at 11:04 PM Post #12 of 26

Quote:
HD228 is a bit out of my price range. I took a look at the xb300 and it seems that they leak a bit of noise. Thanks for the suggestions though.

dunno if im helping but, i own the xb700 and i tried also the xb300 at the store, with my own player, a zune, the only reason i didnt bought them was because they are on the ear and nor circumaural as i wanted. but the SQ was pretty much the same as the xb700, the lates have more and better volume tho and way more bass, still im thinking if its too much bass. sometimes i think i should had gone with the xb500 small, yet circumlaural.

Oct 10, 2010 at 11:13 PM Post #13 of 26

Users who are viewing this thread

Back