ATH-M50 Owner Wants to Go Wireless
Feb 4, 2018 at 4:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

joefig44

100+ Head-Fier
I've owned the M50 for a few years. I find them good for sound quality, but looking for an improvement while also moving to wireless.
As for M50 comfort, I find them comfortable for about 1.5 hours, but beyond that I get clamping pressure. They also slightly warm up my ears/verge of sweaty.

I'd be listening via bluetooth primarily from an iPhone X, but occasionally from my MacBook Pro.

I don't need ANC, but it would be a + so long as it doesn't crimp sound quality too much.

So, I've narrowed down my short list to either the B&W PX or the Sennheiser HD 1.

Given my details and experience above with the M50, which one would you recommend? I'm basically decided I think on the HD 1, but they are $180 more than the PX (in Canada), so wondering if worth the added expense.

Finally, I'd jump for the Sony 1000xm2 but as want to ensure a big jump in sound quality from M50 I'm focusing on the two above (assuming that is the case so correct me if I'm wrong).

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2018 at 11:23 PM Post #3 of 13
I own the M40x, M50x, PX and XM2 only so I'll comment on those (although I did try out the HD 1 once or twice):

Short and sweet:

PX gives better sound to my taste (clear, detail, punchy) compare to the XM2 BUT I'd still choose XM2 over it because of other aspects it provides: wayyyy better noise cancelling, build quality (both has excellent build but I just prefer XM2 more, it feels....modern?; the PX has this classy looks that I can never get used to); sound quality is still very good especially with LDAC (a tad wider soundstage) support is coming to almost all android, battery..seriously....these lasts long....; and many other small things that PX just doesn't have.

Sound-wise when comparing with M50? no hate here but I think M40 is better. M50 sounds little muddy to me compare to the rest, and too forward

If you're familiar with M50 sound signature then I dont think they will be a big jump in sound quality, more like a little higher side jump (does this make sense? lol)

This is just my opinions. I tried the HD 1 once in B&H but couldnt tell much because it was so loud there and the noise canceling wasn't up to my standard (i came from Bose QC 30 and then to MDR1000X - older version of XM2)

Feb 4, 2018 at 11:45 PM Post #4 of 13
I own the M40x, M50x, PX and XM2 only so I'll comment on those (although I did try out the HD 1 once or twice):

Short and sweet:

PX gives better sound to my taste (clear, detail, punchy) compare to the XM2 BUT I'd still choose XM2 over it because of other aspects it provides: wayyyy better noise cancelling, build quality (both has excellent build but I just prefer XM2 more, it feels....modern?; the PX has this classy looks that I can never get used to); sound quality is still very good especially with LDAC (a tad wider soundstage) support is coming to almost all android, battery..seriously....these lasts long....; and many other small things that PX just doesn't have.

Sound-wise when comparing with M50? no hate here but I think M40 is better. M50 sounds little muddy to me compare to the rest, and too forward

If you're familiar with M50 sound signature then I dont think they will be a big jump in sound quality, more like a little higher side jump (does this make sense? lol)

This is just my opinions. I tried the HD 1 once in B&H but couldnt tell much because it was so loud there and the noise canceling wasn't up to my standard (i came from Bose QC 30 and then to MDR1000X - older version of XM2)

When you say they aren't a big jump in sound quality from M50, which ones are you referring to? The XM2 or the PX? (i.e. if it's the XM2, then the PX would be a greater jump from M50?)

Feb 4, 2018 at 11:50 PM Post #5 of 13
When you say they aren't a big jump in sound quality from M50, which ones are you referring to? The XM2 or the PX? (i.e. if it's the XM2, then the PX would be a greater jump from M50?)

Both really, but the PX does have better sound than XM2, although not a drastic change but noticeable.
I should have noted that I tested them with my phone (V30 and S8+) only so you might get a bigger change with a better source?

Feb 5, 2018 at 7:56 AM Post #6 of 13
Both really, but the PX does have better sound than XM2, although not a drastic change but noticeable.
I should have noted that I tested them with my phone (V30 and S8+) only so you might get a bigger change with a better source?

Hmmmm. I wonder how much better the Senn HD 1 would be. Otherwise, I think I could just live with my M50s for now as I'm not quite in need of noise cancelling yet.

Up to the price rate of the HD1s, what would be the best wireless (not necessarily ANC) closed-back cans?

Feb 5, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #7 of 13
Hmmmm. I wonder how much better the Senn HD 1 would be. Otherwise, I think I could just live with my M50s for now as I'm not quite in need of noise cancelling yet.

Up to the price rate of the HD1s, what would be the best wireless (not necessarily ANC) closed-back cans?
For that, I have no experience. Sorry...
How about sound isolating iem? I use them for commutes and office, gotta say the noise block is far better than noise cancelling

Feb 5, 2018 at 5:15 PM Post #8 of 13
For that, I have no experience. Sorry...
How about sound isolating iem? I use them for commutes and office, gotta say the noise block is far better than noise cancelling

I'd prefer an over-ear. I think I'm going to order 3 headphones and return the 2 I don't like. Going to order the B&W PX, Sony 1000XM2 and Senn HD 1.

Feb 5, 2018 at 9:45 PM Post #9 of 13
I have the ath m40x. My Audio Technica ath ws99bt set is pretty close in terms of overall sound signature imo. Bare in mind that in wireless mode, the sound somewhat changes, but not a whole bunch. I listened to over a dozen sets of wireless cans in an attempt to somewhat match the m40x. This was the closest for sure. These also seem to reach higher volumes in wireless mode than all of the others I tried.

Feb 7, 2018 at 4:44 PM Post #10 of 13
So I bought the B&W PX, Senn HD 1 and Sony 100XM2 and have been trying then all out in comparison to my wired M50s.

The M50 really holds it's own but of course they are wired. I think the B&W PX sounds the best, but very close to the HD 1s. Albeit, the HD 1s sound almost as good but are very different (relaxed, more spacious).
Given the PX are heavier and more uncomfortable for longer sessions, I think I may keep the HD 1s. But like I said the PX really are more forward and fun.

Now, if I were to decide to go IEM wireless, would anything up to the HD 1s' price range blow them out of the water for sound quality?

For example, would the Shure 535 with a bluetooth wireless cable (sine the Shure 535s are detachable) best the over-ear headphones?

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2018 at 9:30 PM Post #11 of 13
So I bought the B&W PX, Senn HD 1 and Sony 100XM2 and have been trying then all out in comparison to my wired M50s.

The M50 really holds it's own but of course they are wired. I think the B&W PX sounds the best, but very close to the HD 1s. Albeit, the HD 1s sound almost as good but are very different (relaxed, more spacious).
Given the PX are heavier and more uncomfortable for longer sessions, I think I may keep the HD 1s. But like I said the PX really are more forward and fun.

Now, if I were to decide to go IEM wireless, would anything up to the HD 1s' price range blow them out of the water for sound quality?

For example, would the Shure 535 with a bluetooth wireless cable (sine the Shure 535s are detachable) best the over-ear headphones?

That's my current setup for train commute. Shure 535 with bluetooth. The sound is definitely more close in, detail and clear, and the bass is just right for me (not a bass head). I think it depends on your taste when comparing Shure 535 with Sens HD 1. I would say HD 1 has more sub bass, more laid back (yeah wider soundstage too) and warmer; but for me, Shure sound isolation is just too good to not consider.
For example: when I was using MX2, with noise canceling on, I can still hear people talking (just the nature of noise cancelling to cancel out low freq noise like train and car? i think) and sometimes I had to turn the volume up to hear all the detail I want but it then introduce slight hiss (just a little bit but that thing annoyed me). As Shure physically blocking the ear, I can barely hear anything aside from music and the volume is only 2 notch up from mute. This might be dangerous if you go jogging or anywhere that requires awareness though. YMMV

BTW: I use Viper4Android to make up for the bass lacking (when i need some) so that left me zero desire for over-ear cans for commute. Again, YMMV

Feb 7, 2018 at 9:34 PM Post #12 of 13
That's my current setup for train commute. Shure 535 with bluetooth. The sound is definitely more close in, detail and clear, and the bass is just right for me (not a bass head). I think it depends on your taste when comparing Shure 535 with Sens HD 1. I would say HD 1 has more sub bass, more laid back (yeah wider soundstage too) and warmer; but for me, Shure sound isolation is just too good to not consider.
For example: when I was using MX2, with noise canceling on, I can still hear people talking (just the nature of noise cancelling to cancel out low freq noise like train and car? i think) and sometimes I had to turn the volume up to hear all the detail I want but it then introduce slight hiss (just a little bit but that thing annoyed me). As Shure physically blocking the ear, I can barely hear anything aside from music and the volume is only 2 notch up from mute. This might be dangerous if you go jogging or anywhere that requires awareness though. YMMV

BTW: I use Viper4Android to make up for the bass lacking (when i need some) so that left me zero desire for over-ear cans for commute. Again, YMMV

So you use the 535s with a Bluetooth cord? Which cord?

Feb 8, 2018 at 1:39 PM Post #13 of 13
i like the sound /comfort of my M50X's but didn't like at all being tethered to my phone by the cable.. so I picked up a little bluetooth headphone amplifier

the one I have (Elecom LBT-PAR500) seems to be disco'd and quite expensive now as such.. however this FiiO (BTR1) is ~$50 on amazon..

https://www.amazon.com/FiiO-BTR1-Bl...15056&sr=8-1&keywords=bluetooth+headphone+amp

anyways.. not totally cable free but the elecom amp clips on to my pants pocket and I am totally untethered to the phone itself.. works for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back