ATH-M50 or AKG 271 MK II?
Jul 24, 2010 at 9:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

Elysium

New Head-Fier
I'm considering in getting the ATH-M50 for an all purpose stationary headphone, unamped or with the Fiio E5, but I'm still not certain.

I primarily listen to gothic and symphonic metal, electronic, j-pop, classical, as well as for stereo tv and movies. However I've read in a few threads that this pair of headphones isn't that that great for orchestrial music due to the lack of soundstage. Well how bad is it? Is this an issue due to the closed headphone? Is the soundstage still above average compared to sub $100 headphones?

I'm also considering the AKG 271 MK II which I can probably get for ~$150 which is my critical maximum limit, but I'm more hesitant about that pair since:
1. I'm uncertain how it seals sound.
2. It may be good for classical, but what about the other genres? Is the bass lacking?

Jul 24, 2010 at 10:00 PM Post #2 of 35
Couldn't be more different.  AKG is mid centric, AT is extended bass wise and recessed elsewhere.  AT slaughters the AKG in measurements.  Does it have to be closed?

Jul 24, 2010 at 10:03 PM Post #3 of 35
let's just say that with a good source, good amp, and with some sort of crossfeed (software or hardware), the soundstage can be pretty decent with closed cans.  let's say, somewhere around the shoulders or one foot outside the head for most sounds is what it sounds like with my M50s.
but, then again i listen mostly to popular music, which is not indication of what orchestral will sound like...

Jul 24, 2010 at 11:18 PM Post #4 of 35

Couldn't be more different. AKG is mid centric, AT is extended bass wise and recessed elsewhere. AT slaughters the AKG in measurements. Does it have to be closed?

Preferrably yes. I would be using them in public spaces (although not while I'm moving) and I don't want to bother the people around me (too much). I'm still leaning towards the m50, but I still have doubts on how orchestral music would sound with them.

let's just say that with a good source, good amp, and with some sort of crossfeed (software or hardware), the soundstage can be pretty decent with closed cans. let's say, somewhere around the shoulders or one foot outside the head for most sounds is what it sounds like with my

M50s.

So software can alleviate the problem?

Have you ever tried them with orchestral music?

Jul 25, 2010 at 7:23 AM Post #5 of 35
The defacto goto in relatively inexpensive closed cans are the AT M50 and Senn 448, moving up in price the Shure 750 and 840 come in to play.  840 is  brighter and punchier than the M50 but less extended and doesn't measure as well.  The 750 is Shure's M50 still doesn't measure as well but more closely follows the frequency response.

Jul 25, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #6 of 35
The defacto goto in relatively inexpensive closed cans are the AT M50 and Senn 448, moving up in price the Shure 750 and 840 come in to play.  840 is  brighter and punchier than the M50 but less extended and doesn't measure as well.  The 750 is Shure's M50 still doesn't measure as well but more closely follows the frequency response.

As for the M50: at 350 Hz (F4), is that the upper-mid range recession that people were talking about in previous threads? It's a 5 dB difference compared to the SRH840! How would opera with a contralto or a tenor sound because of that drop? What do you mean the SRH840 doesn't measure up to the m50? Can an equalizer alleviate that problem for classical and jazz music for the M50?

I'm considering more the SRH840, which apparently sound more neutral and by the look of that graph, they have a better upper-mid range than the M50, thus making them more appropriate for classical and jazz music.

I'm probably making too much of a big deal out of a closed non to lightly amped heaphone. :frowning2:

Jul 25, 2010 at 9:03 PM Post #7 of 35
Measurements I refer to are the s/n% and square wave response.  As for mids, it really comes down to where you read from.  Its 5dB down from 100Hz but only 1dB down from 1KHz.  On the 840 its both down 5dB from 100Hz and up 5dB from 1KHz.  Don't see how anything with +10dB/-15dB range could be considered neutral though :wink:

Jul 26, 2010 at 12:19 AM Post #8 of 35
Measurements I refer to are the s/n% and square wave response.  As for mids, it really comes down to where you read from.  Its 5dB down from 100Hz but only 1dB down from 1KHz.  On the 840 its both down 5dB from 100Hz and up 5dB from 1KHz.  Don't see how anything with +10dB/-15dB range could be considered neutral though :wink:

I see that the SRH840 is "slower" to recuperate the square wave compared to the M50. But how much of these graphs change with burning in the headphones? So you suggest the M50 despite most people here prefering the SRH840?

Jul 26, 2010 at 6:04 AM Post #9 of 35
These are don't change with burn in.  Though I think HeadRoom does put some hours on the can before testing them.  Also, more people here prefer and own the AT M50 compared to the Shure 840.

Jul 26, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #10 of 35

These are don't change with burn in.  Though I think HeadRoom does put some hours on the can before testing them.  Also, more people here prefer and own the AT M50 compared to the Shure 840.

Huh? From the threads I've read, a lot of people seem to prefer the sound of the SRH840 compared the M50, especially with classical music.

Jul 26, 2010 at 5:19 PM Post #11 of 35
If you look for 840 threads you find 840 fans :wink:  Own count is in favour of the M50, so are the pro reviews and the HeadRoom rating.

Jul 27, 2010 at 10:16 PM Post #13 of 35

Quote:
I'm considering in getting the ATH-M50 for an all purpose stationary headphone, unamped or with the Fiio E5, but I'm still not certain.

I primarily listen to gothic and symphonic metal, electronic, j-pop, classical, as well as for stereo tv and movies. However I've read in a few threads that this pair of headphones isn't that that great for orchestrial music due to the lack of soundstage. Well how bad is it? Is this an issue due to the closed headphone? Is the soundstage still above average compared to sub $100 headphones?

I'm also considering the AKG 271 MK II which I can probably get for ~$150 which is my critical maximum limit, but I'm more hesitant about that pair since:
1. I'm uncertain how it seals sound.
2. It may be good for classical, but what about the other genres? Is the bass lacking?

i've not heard the AT or Shure, but i can say that the soundstage of the K271mkii is excellent and it can do bass.  it's warmer sounding than the K701 and when amped, it plays well with any genre.  it's a very balanced HP from top to bottom without any major deficits, excellent isolation, and it's super comfy.  i would recommend an amp though, it doesn't sound that great out of my iPod. 

Jul 28, 2010 at 2:41 PM Post #14 of 35
I just bought the 271 Mk II off amazon (via adorama). I paid $149, but when I received the HPs the label said "Made in China" on it. Build quality still seems good. They are very comfortable, but they can get a little warm after a while. Isolation is very good IMO.

Great sounding HP, though. I've only listened to them on the iPod w/CmoyBB amp so far. I never run the bass boost on the amp. Flat all the way. It's just a little light on bass (compared to my Grado SR80 and Superlux HD-668B). Very nice detail. Superb mids. Uncluttered top end. Really separates well. Stages ok. Very spacious, warm HP so far. I only have about 5 hrs on them, though. Miles Davis' "In A Silent Way" sounds great through them.

Aug 13, 2010 at 4:29 AM Post #15 of 35

Quote:
I just bought the 271 Mk II off amazon (via adorama). I paid $149, but when I received the HPs the label said "Made in China" on it. Build quality still seems good. They are very comfortable, but they can get a little warm after a while. Isolation is very good IMO.

Well that is VERY odd. Last I knew they were Made In Austria and it was labeled on the headphones as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back