ATH-M50 or AD700
Sep 4, 2009 at 1:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

asrphani

100+ Head-Fier
Ok...after reading for hours and hours,i've decided it should be either one of these two.

Source : sony 828 and Sansa fuze.
IEM's : RE2 ,RE0 .I find the bass on RE0 adequate.
Headphones : HD202. I find it a little bassy.
Requirement : only music,no games,no movies.

I need a headphone that performs well with almost every music piece.Please tell me which one is a better performer and which has better sq.Also, isolation is not very important.

happy_face1.gif

Sep 4, 2009 at 2:30 PM Post #2 of 26
The ATH-AD700 lack so much bass imo, its only really good with classical type music.

I much much prefer the ATH-M50. Though it might have to much bass for you, it has a very energetic sound to it.

The two things the ATH-AD700 are better at is Soundstage (both have good soundstage, but the ATH-AD700 is huge) and for me better comfort. ATH-M50 is comfortable, but the ATH-AD700 is like a big pillow for my head.

Sep 4, 2009 at 3:05 PM Post #3 of 26
my concern is,will the ATH-M50's sound really musical,since it is primarly designed for mixing and studio applications.Also i read M50's put more emphasis on treble rather than on bass.is it true?what about sq.

Sep 4, 2009 at 3:51 PM Post #4 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by asrphani /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my concern is,will the ATH-M50's sound really musical,since it is primarly designed for mixing and studio applications.Also i read M50's put more emphasis on treble rather than on bass.is it true?what about sq.

I have owned the AD700 but not the M50.

FWIR...

The M50 became popular transitioning from mixing / studio to other uses because it was enjoyable with music. Does it sound 100% analytical? No chance. Does it sound 100% musical? No chance. Does it sound more musical than analytical? I suggest taking your time getting informed responses to that question.

I've often read the M50 has more emphasis on bass than treble, basically the opposite of what you claim to have read, and I have read a lot about the M50.

Disregard any claims regarding the "sound quality" of headphones. People prefer the sound of different headphones, and they use headphones for different reasons like gaming, various types of music, portability, mixing, etc. That's preference and utility (see my signature).

I suggest you search "M50" and "AD700", and read more about how they sound. And try to answer the question of which you would prefer. The relevant question is whether you would prefer the M50 or AD700. And I am certain they sound quite different.

Here's more information that may help you decide. Not everyone finds the AD700 to be comfortable. I did not. Some go so far as to permanently deform the over head bars in an attempt to make the AD700 comfortable and/or fit properly. Its design for a proper fit is essentially defective.

Sep 4, 2009 at 5:11 PM Post #6 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have owned the AD700 but not the M50.

FWIR...

The M50 became popular transitioning from mixing / studio to other uses because it was enjoyable with music. Does it sound 100% analytical? No chance. Does it sound 100% musical? No chance. Does it sound more musical than analytical? I suggest taking your time getting informed responses to that question.

I've often read the M50 has more emphasis on bass than treble, basically the opposite of what you claim to have read, and I have read a lot about the M50.

Disregard any claims regarding the "sound quality" of headphones. People prefer the sound of different headphones, and they use headphones for different reasons like gaming, various types of music, portability, mixing, etc. That's preference and utility (see my signature).

I suggest you search "M50" and "AD700", and read more about how they sound. And try to answer the question of which you would prefer. The relevant question is whether you would prefer the M50 or AD700. And I am certain they sound quite different.

Here's more information that may help you decide. Not everyone finds the AD700 to be comfortable. I did not. Some go so far as to permanently deform the over head bars in an attempt to make the AD700 comfortable and/or fit properly. Its design for a proper fit is essentially defective.

Before starting this thread,i did read so many posts,but i cannot exactly find the thread that would answer the question, how musical is m50 or how analytiacl it is.

Your answer to "SQ" is really convincing,and i will stop comparing them on SQ.

My initial choice was AD700,coz Soundstage means so much to me,but i cannot really ignore bass.I have one question for you though,how do you rate the bass on AD700?

ATH-M50's emphasis on bass is not an issue unless it is muddy.

Sep 4, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you'll probably enjoy the ad700 if you find the RE0 bass adequate..

it's even less than the RE0 though

I will be using it with sony828, i think i can probably eq it.BTW koven, Does AD700 sound as good as RE0?Do they sound similar,i mean sound sig.

OMG! is it so difficult to decide on a good headphone.

Sep 4, 2009 at 5:23 PM Post #9 of 26
no, the re0 sounds a lot better than the ad700 to me

the only thing the ad700 does better is soundstage.. but when you look at the bigger picture, the re0 is a much better overall presentation

the ad700's are cold and sibiliant, music sounded lifeless to me

Sep 4, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

bass:
iBuds = 1/10
ad700 = 2/10

Ok,how do you rate RE0 then

Sep 4, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

no, the re0 sounds a lot better than the ad700 to me

the only thing the ad700 does better is soundstage.. but when you look at the bigger picture, the re0 is a much better overall presentation

the ad700's are cold and sibiliant, music sounded lifeless to me

I think i should look for something else.Can i take your word and stop looking at AD700
redface.gif
,IMO coz music is really lifeless without bass.

But l don't really understand why there are so many people here, who really think AD700 as the best bang for your money under 100$

Sep 4, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

I think i should look for something else.Can i take your word and stop looking at AD700
redface.gif
,IMO coz music is really lifeless without bass.

But l don't really understand why there are so many people here, who really think AD700 as the best bang for your money under 100$

there are just some people who prefer that signature... and a lot of people buy it for gaming too and value the soundstage

Quote:

Ok,how do you rate RE0 then

probably 3.5

bass is a weakpoint for both the re0 and ad700... but the re0 makes up for it in everything else... the ad700, not so much.

Sep 4, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Before starting this thread,i did read so many posts,but i cannot exactly find the thread that would answer the question, how musical is m50 or how analytiacl it is.

Your answer to "SQ" is really convincing,and i will stop comparing them on SQ.

My initial choice was AD700,coz Soundstage means so much to me,but i cannot really ignore bass.I have one question for you though,how do you rate the bass on AD700?

ATH-M50's emphasis on bass is not an issue unless it is muddy.

FWIR, I don't have a feel for the musical vs analytical balance of the M50. So hopefully this thread (or another you may start) will provide informed opinions.

Sound stage does not seem to be your highest priority. It seems to be enjoying a wide range of music. The AD700 is popular mainly because of its sound stage, price, and use with gaming where positional audio is important. The AD700 are the most bass light headphones that are commonly discussed on Head-Fi. FWIR and from my first hand experience, I know of no other headphones that sell new for under $150 that are more bass light. If a thread were started asking for recommendations of NEW full size headphones that are the most bass light, the AD700 would be at or near the top of the list.

In the under $100 price range, the AD700 is often not recommended by more experienced Head-Fiers for music, and it is often recommended for gaming. And, the M50 is more often recommended for music than gaming.

FWIR, the bass of the M50 is a main strong point, which likely improves with a better source and amplification. I really doubt you would find its bass muddy.

Sep 4, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #14 of 26
Ok then ,I will start the search again! Koven,any other headphones?

I think i will now look at

ATH-M50
HD555
Any comments on Shure SRH 440?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back