ATH M50, need amp or not at all?
Aug 10, 2011 at 11:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

firgoe

100+ Head-Fier
I have read alot of threads in this forum and from other source as well whether or not ATH M50 need amp or not at all.

I am currently using it with uDac2 with my laptop. But as with my portable players, i'm plugging it directly to the source.

After reading alot, I am becoming more confused because some says portable amp will boost M50 performance, some says they are just a waste.

I was thinking of getting fiio e11 or chu moy but if it's not improving the performance at all or just very very slightly improving it. Then I would not spend my money on them.

Aug 11, 2011 at 12:43 AM Post #4 of 10
Not all amps are of the same quality, nor do all amps work best with the M50 (or any headphone, really).
But koolkat's right--just save your cash for better headphones.

Aug 11, 2011 at 2:39 AM Post #5 of 10
lol.

You can alternatively get a better media player/source and couple that with your uDac2

Quote:
Not all amps are of the same quality, nor do all amps work best with the M50 (or any headphone, really).
But koolkat's right--just save your cash for better headphones.

Aug 11, 2011 at 3:06 AM Post #6 of 10
The next headphone i would buy might be LCD-2 but that's for a longer term plan.

For now, i would like to have something portable but not an IEM, have good SQ and not open type phone. And I don't want to spend 2 much money on this since I might buy LCD-2 in the future. And of course the SQ must be considerably better than my M50.  I am thinking arround 500 bucks? Any recommendation?

Aug 11, 2011 at 3:07 AM Post #7 of 10
Wow, what? $500 for a portable when you already got an M50? Methinks you should just find a pair that's more portable, and better sounding than the M50. Buy that, sell the M50, and keep saving till you can get your LCD-2.

Aug 11, 2011 at 3:40 AM Post #8 of 10
      Quote:
Wow, what? $500 for a portable when you already got an M50? Methinks you should just find a pair that's more portable, and better sounding than the M50. Buy that, sell the M50, and keep saving till you can get your LCD-2.

Yes, but what phone is more portable and better SQ? Please give me some recommendation.

By portable I mean I can use it in library, computer lab and some coffee shop. I dont use it for sport and I don't use public transportation. Sometimes I found that the isolation on M50 is not enough but for me SQ is more important than isolation.

Aug 11, 2011 at 4:06 AM Post #9 of 10
More portable and (possibly) better SQ than M50? At <$500 you'll definitely want to consider the Sennheiser HD 25-1 ii.
Similarly--but I'm not sure if it's <$500--check out Beyerdynamic DT 1350.

Both headphones listed above are certain to isolate better, and are smaller and lighter than the M50.

As for "better" SQ, that's very difficult to define. Do you consider yourself an audiophile? A pro? Or just someone who wants pleasant sound? If the last category sounds most like you, also consider the Bowers & Wilkin P5, and the Phiaton MS 400. 
Neither is considered flat (in terms of EQ) but they're quite portable and may suit your uses just fine.

Aug 11, 2011 at 4:33 AM Post #10 of 10
I just read about FISCHER FA003A from this thread.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/491632/review-fischer-audio-fa-003-a-neutral-champ/1680

The price is around $200, it's definitely in my budget and the reviews are great. I will compare it Beyerdynamic DT 1350.

I don't know what I am, but since I bought my first HP Grado sr80i then I start buying things that I never bought before fiio e5, udac-2 then ath m50.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back