ATH-M50- Cleaning the cups?
Dec 16, 2016 at 1:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

FeazEnemy

New Head-Fier
So I've had my ATH-M50's for a couple years now and the cups have started to smell. I often get hot with them and and start to sweat unfortunately. 
Any suggestions on cleaning them? Can i get them wet?

Also: 

I can't seem to find any answers specific to my problem so hopefully this will solve it. 
I'm open to buying new ones but if i can just clean them that would be more helpfull to me.

Thanks.

Dec 16, 2016 at 2:09 AM Post #2 of 3
Ear pads can take a wash cycle with the rest of your used socks and undies, no problem.

The easiest way to clean headphones I find, is with non-scented, oil-free baby-wipes.
They're pH neutral and don't have any weird chemicals in them.
Also you can poke them around with a toothpick or something to get into the hard-to-reach edges. Just don't poke anything around the driver :)

Dec 16, 2016 at 2:29 AM Post #3 of 3
... ear pads just pull off wash them as suggested / or replace them.. I put Shure 840 ear pads on my M50X's due to comfort issues w/ the stock pads...i.e. I HAAATE the stock pads..   but authentic ATH ear pads can be had as well as a host of 3rd party pads also.

the baby wipes idea is great for the rest I suppose... I tend to clean mine regularly so they have never gotten ...ummm funky.. I tend to just use a lightly damp micro fiber cloth to wipe down the rest of my headphones...

I personally think after 3yrs you are probably better off replacing the ear pads.. especially with the issues you report... the ear pads are probably kinda worn by now anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back