ATH-M50 Clamping tightness compared to HD205
May 8, 2011 at 6:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

meizumintyboi

100+ Head-Fier
After much reading here there and everywhere I've decided to make these my 1st £100+ purchase on closed cans. The last set I had was the closed HD205, my head is quite big and I found these to be way to tight after wearing for around 10 minutes, the sound was great for the price, but the clamping, would cause headaches, forcing me to stop using them.

Can anyone help me on letting me know if the M50 is much bigger? If it clamps too tight, just that I have read some poster's comments on being a little too tight for them.

Also if I can I would like to demo them, could anyone suggest a showroom where I can do this within the UK? I'm located in Essex, London and Kent.

Also can anyone suggest other studio quality closed cans (not neccessarily full sized, on the ear is fine as well, as long as it has decent passive noise isolation)? I'm after very good passive noise isolation. I have found myself to like the phones that have pads which sound like they squeeze the air out as you put them on, Bose OE headphones have this, the nokia BH-905, bowers and wilkins P5, beats solo hd kind of (I think).

Thanks for your help people!

*Update #1: I've taken the plunge and ordered the M50 with Amazon Prime for £124.99, should be here tomorrow :D. I'll keep you readers updated on how the fit compares to the HD205's in case anyone was wondering.

*Update #2: Just got them, very comfortable (a bit sweaty after a while), the clamp is not tight at all compared to the HD205's (but a secure fit, allowing for some mild head banging).Tested with SGS I9000 using PowerAMP; preamp: 100%, EQ: flat, treble: 0, bass: 45%, volume: 100% (loud enough, blocking out 95% of ambient noise, including the desk fan I have on full speed in my room, however there is a bit of sound leakage). Possibly thinking of purchasing the dirt cheap Fiio E5, to improve bass and save my SGS battery. Tested on my desktop Creative Audigy 4, very loud, when the bass is cranked up the drivers actually vibrate, but without distortion, perfectly neutral sound with EQ/bass/treble set to flat, overall v. impressed :D

*Update #3: Just briefly tested with my netbook VX6 built in soundcard, with similar results to the the SGS. Amp isn't necessary, but would help with portable devices, if you wanted to save battery power and get a bit more oomph with the low end. Now for the 100hr burn in...

May 11, 2011 at 3:13 AM Post #4 of 12
May 11, 2011 at 7:18 AM Post #5 of 12

May 11, 2011 at 7:24 AM Post #6 of 12

Quote:
Hey, same phone, if your on custom firmware, I'm not sure if you have the voodoo sound app. You should get that as it also increases SQ. I have same headphones so just thought I should mention 

thanks :). Downloading now, I'm on 2.3.3 XWJVB, what player are you using? I found so far out of all the players, that PowerAMP gave the best sound, PlayerPro just didn't sound as good, even after installing it's extra's and the default player on the SGS is very limited EQ and tone wise..

Quote:
PA2V2 makes it warmer

Just looking into it, can I buy this in the UK, or is it DIY? I've already ordered the Fiio E5 anyway, didn't want to spend more than that, should suffice to increase the bass and volume just that little bit more for my portable.

May 11, 2011 at 7:34 AM Post #7 of 12

Quote:

thanks :). Downloading now, I'm on 2.3.3 JVK, what player are you using? I found so far out of all the players, that PowerAMP gave the best sound, PlayerPro just didn't sound as good, even after installing it's extra's and the default player on the SGS is very limited EQ and tone wise..

Just looking into it, can I buy this in the UK, or is it DIY? I've already ordered the Fiio E5 anyway, didn't want to spend more than that, should suffice to increase the bass and volume just that little bit more for my portable.

The PA2V2 is an amp made by this guy in Canada. Go look on ebay or contact him directly through his website to order (electric avenues. He sponsors head-fi). I'm not sure about pricing, but it's about the 60-70 dollar range.
I think his ebay ID is something like grans-ar. just search PA2V2

May 11, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #8 of 12

Quote:
The PA2V2 is an amp made by this guy in Canada. Go look on ebay or contact him directly through his website to order (electric avenues. He sponsors head-fi). I'm not sure about pricing, but it's about the 60-70 dollar range.
I think his ebay ID is something like grans-ar. just search PA2V2

Gary is a great guy to deal with, gives amazingly prompt support and lifetime warranty for his amp. Do contact him directly. Also, PA2V2 went under a small revision, so now all amps have a different material case that's better shielded against EMI.

May 13, 2011 at 6:10 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:
I also use powerAMP. I think it gives the most flexibility in terms of how you want it to sound. Did the voodoo sound help?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

No didn't work, I think I have to install a kernel via Odin, will do it at some point, thanks for the info though. What keyboard are you using? I was using swype for a long time, loved it, but in xwjvb it just isn't quite the same, so now I've switched to swift keyboard, which I think I prefer, aside from how quick swype can be..

May 13, 2011 at 10:48 AM Post #11 of 12
If you like swype, try slideit a lot of people prefer it to swype. And yeah you need a voodoo enabled kernel to use it. Try damian gto. Google it and go to his forum. Its generally considered the best kernel

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

May 20, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #12 of 12

[size=medium]
WOW It's literally 10 times better and louder (about twice, 1.5x the m6's loudest) and more powerful, don't even need my fiio e5, the bass (3x bassier than m6, when turned up) is literally shaking my drivers just as my desktops Creative Audigy 4 does! My jaw literally dropped at the improvement! Beats the M6 SQ by more than double.

I used GTO Gingerbread Kernel Beta 2 v2.1: http://forum.damiangto.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=134

and rooted my xwjvb build using the files from here: http://androidadvices.com/how-to-root-galaxy-s-on-android-2-3-3-xwjvb-firmware/

voodoo is free to download from market
[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back