ATH M50 burn in procedure.
Jul 11, 2011 at 12:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

gabru678

New Head-Fier
Hey guys just off the bat I just want to say i have always been a bit of a audiophile (ALL my music is 320 KBps or higher) but have never really had the money to spend on true Hi-Fi gear, so i figured that one day when i get enough money i would be prepared.
but just last week I was accepted into the Pre-med program at my school my parents gave me some money to spend on things i wanted. So i did a bunch of research around 5 months ahead and settled on ATH-M50's.
Now After searching around i found some for $79.99 and jumped on them while i still could :p
they should be arriving next week :D
now that you have heard my story...

My question is this: how should i burn these in properly?

I was just planing to listen to them low volume with some scores orchestral them after about 2 hours moving on to some jazz (Miles Davis, Jhon Coltrane) for about 3 hours then moving on to some hip hop R&B then after about 4 more hours. then test them out with my metal and techno music.
As you can tell i listen to nearly every genre of music and want to spend my time doing this right.

Jul 11, 2011 at 12:45 PM Post #2 of 20
another thing
I do play them through an EQ on my computer.
should i De-activate that first?
and if i borrow my friends AMP should i not plug them in first, and wait for a decent burn in period before i turn on the EQ and plug in the AMP?

Jul 11, 2011 at 12:47 PM Post #3 of 20
Some people use pink or white noise and others like to listen to their cans the whole burn in period by just playing their favorite music in normal volume..
So i guess what suits you better....
No need to be cautious,just don't turn the volume loud

Jul 11, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #4 of 20
To give you an examle..
Earlier today i received my new Ultrasone..
I am listening to my music right now connected to my mp3 player and my Fiio E7 amp....
wink.gif

The changes of the sound the last couple of hours that i noticed are a good listening experience.. 

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #5 of 20
Hmmm so it seems from your view that my set up shouldn't matter?
as long as I dont turn them up too loud? <--- Obvious :p
I dont think i am going to run it through the amp until i think i have had enough burn in time

Jul 12, 2011 at 3:22 AM Post #6 of 20

Quote:
Hmmm so it seems from your view that my set up shouldn't matter?
as long as I dont turn them up too loud? <--- Obvious :p
I dont think i am going to run it through the ramp until i think i have had enough burn in time

Exactly,set up doesn't matter...
Just don't crank up the volume very high..

Jul 13, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #7 of 20
hope you enjoy your M50s, as everybody says just listen to music. I left mine the whole night on my computer with shuffle activated you can hear the difference, also once you have burned in them you may want to equalize them to soften a little bit some highs but that depends on how do you like the music. on mine I felt 6.7 and 11 KHz a little bit louder than other frequencies, that's normal on headphones tho.

Jul 13, 2011 at 1:49 PM Post #10 of 20
I don't want to spoil your excitement but something smells rotten..
I think they are propably fake but i hope for your shake to prove me wrong when you'll get them...

Sep 10, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #13 of 20

Quote:
Hey guys, 
  As for the store, I  got my ATH-M50's in the mail today!
   So it seems safe to buy from this place.  

For those who still dont want to buy from that place I found another great deal for $80.80 http://www.4ortex.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50-Headphones-BRAND-NEW-IN-BOX-audtech-ath-m50-new.htm

Hey, I"m curious how those headphones worked for you? I actually bought some ATH-M50 straight headphones from them, and I ended up with obviously fake and incredibly shoddy quality coiled ATH-M50. I just ended up paying the extra to get a legit pair from a neighborhood store and noticed a big difference. Did you end up with cans you are pleased with? Did they seem legit to you? I just find it interesting that you might have gotten passable ones.

Sep 10, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #14 of 20

Quote:
Hey guys, 
  As for the store, I  got my ATH-M50's in the mail today!
   So it seems safe to buy from this place.  

For those who still dont want to buy from that place I found another great deal for $80.80 http://www.4ortex.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50-Headphones-BRAND-NEW-IN-BOX-audtech-ath-m50-new.htm

Hey man these are not legit m50's..
If you check the photos that they have listed you will see that the audio technica logo on the left side of the earcup is reversed,it's not facing the same direction as the right one..
This is a major fake indicator..
Please do not propose this site to other people who may be affected from your ignorance..

Sep 11, 2011 at 4:50 PM Post #15 of 20

Quote:
Hey man these are not legit m50's..
If you check the photos that they have listed you will see that the audio technica logo on the left side of the earcup is reversed,it's not facing the same direction as the right one..
This is a major fake indicator..
Please do not propose this site to other people who may be affected from your ignorance..

Hey sorry guys, but I think I may have lucked out because I did not believe them at first either so I went to a Guitar Center and checked with the ones they have and mine felt, and sounded as solid as they did.  Maybe it was luck of the draw?
Optimus I also just checked that the symbol is not reversed on mine either (both facing to the right)
And I looked up the look and wiring of the drivers on here and mine matched.

I didnt mean to delude anyone, but based on my purchase I deemed the store to be ok, sorry if you didnt get what you paid for, maybe you could contact them and ask for a return?

Now I feel REALLY bad :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back