ATH-M50 - burn in oddity?
Sep 28, 2010 at 11:39 AM Post #17 of 32
i have these 2010 m50s. some time im happy with it and some time not.
when i first got it, i wasn't happy happy with recessed mids. so i did the balance mod then i was happy.
that's when i thought i was happy. actually, some musics i listened to were good, some weren't.
then i undo balance mod last night, now im happy again. hope it last this time.

Sep 28, 2010 at 1:56 PM Post #18 of 32

Quote:
i have these 2010 m50s. some time im happy with it and some time not.
when i first got it, i wasn't happy happy with recessed mids. so i did the balance mod then i was happy.
that's when i thought i was happy. actually, some musics i listened to were good, some weren't.
then i undo balance mod last night, now im happy again. hope it last this time.

Yeah, its really tricky just like any sort of tuning.  Your choice of tape, holes, etc can have all sorts of effects.  Then again some people claim to hear no difference after plugging all the holes.  
blink.gif
  No comment.  The one mod that hasn't been favorable for me was the earpad swap.

Sep 28, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #19 of 32
I definitely noticed this in my M50s that I bought four months ago. While having a lot of detail, they did not have that much bass, and the highs were pretty cold and sterile. I have since traded them, because they were not that fun.

Sep 28, 2010 at 3:28 PM Post #21 of 32

Quote:
That's the exact opposite of what I've experienced.

Um yeah, no kidding... I mean Bizarro-World, polar opposite to most of what's been written. YMMV really will apply much more to some than others.

Sep 28, 2010 at 4:45 PM Post #22 of 32
I am not saying that they didn't have bass. They did have good, tight bass, just not that much of it. My $30 UE Metrofi 150 IEMs had more bass impact and quantity than the M50s, albeit they were less controlled and detailed. I was pretty disappointed, especially after all the reviews I had read. Maybe there is something to the new headphones being different or a weird burn in. In any case, I now have the Yuin Pk1 earbuds, and unamped they are basically what I was expecting from the M50s. If you like the headphones, I am happy for you.

Sep 28, 2010 at 5:06 PM Post #23 of 32
I cannot stress how gear impacts what you hear.  I'm kind of tired trying to figure out why some people are hearing what they hear after dealing w/ many that have weird EQ settings and bass boost while plugged into a blender playing MP3s backwards.

Oct 6, 2010 at 4:29 AM Post #25 of 32
Dear all,

An update on my first post: The 2nd pair of M50s (which happen to have the straight cable) have now had another 200 or so hours of continuous play and any changes in their sonic signature have been minimal meaning that I can still tell the difference between the 1st and 2nd pair of M50s and I still prefer the 1st pair - deeper, warmer and not at all harsh in the treble (the 2nd pair can be a little harsh in the treble but this might be accentuated by the lack of bottom end).

The thing is the second pair are not broken - if they were the first pair I'd tried I would have thought they were fine just not quite to my taste. I guess there can always be slight batch variation in these things so I'm going to exchange them and hope for the best next time. I'll report back.

Oct 6, 2010 at 3:52 PM Post #26 of 32

Quote:
Dear all,

An update on my first post: The 2nd pair of M50s (which happen to have the straight cable) have now had another 200 or so hours of continuous play and any changes in their sonic signature have been minimal meaning that I can still tell the difference between the 1st and 2nd pair of M50s and I still prefer the 1st pair - deeper, warmer and not at all harsh in the treble (the 2nd pair can be a little harsh in the treble but this might be accentuated by the lack of bottom end).

The thing is the second pair are not broken - if they were the first pair I'd tried I would have thought they were fine just not quite to my taste. I guess there can always be slight batch variation in these things so I'm going to exchange them and hope for the best next time. I'll report back.

Check this article out from today:

http://www.headfonia.com/test-burn-in-and-production-variations/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back