ATH-m50 (as compared to Sennheiser HD 518 and Beats Studios)
Aug 19, 2012 at 7:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

deloving

New Head-Fier
(reposted in this section as advised by a fellow user)

I'm getting around buying the m50s as they seem like a reasonable choice. But I totally don't know how they sound, and I could use some comparisons.

So the headphones that I have heard before multiple times were these and my opinions on them:
  1. Beats Solo - nothing amazing. Annoying bass that overpowers everything else.
  2. Sony MDR-EX50 - Really amazing earphones... better, more enjoyable experience than the Solos. They're "deep bass" apparently. Very bright and upbeat sound. Pretty good for a pair of earphones.
  3. Beats Studios - Enjoyable bass, in your face music (which I like). However the quality wasn't good enough.
  4. Sennheiser HD 518 - Good classical and melodic sounds I guess.But I feel it's slightly dull, and I feel the bass doesn't fit in with the music, the bass and other sounds feel slightly "fake". As I'm wearing them as I type this, I feel that sound is leaking and something is missing. Melodic electronic sounds are bright but not as powerful as I'd hope for.

How do the ATH-m50 compares to the headphones above? I enjoy in your face sound that I got on my everyday-used Sony earphones heh... But just enough so that no elements overpower each other. I also like to feel the bass, but only so that it doesn't overpower any other sound.

I would prefer it to be like the Beats Studios but with much better sound quality and bass not overpowering everything else? Is this too much to ask for? Music I listen to ranges from Jrock and Kpop to Metal, Rap and Rock, Melodic dubstep.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

EDIT. One more thing. How do the M50s compare to the Sennheisers HD 518 in size. Are the ear cups bigger/smaller/tighter? I liked the feel of the Studios when wearing them, if that helps.

Aug 19, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #2 of 4
Quote:
(reposted in this section as advised by a fellow user)

I'm getting around buying the m50s as they seem like a reasonable choice. But I totally don't know how they sound, and I could use some comparisons.

So the headphones that I have heard before multiple times were these and my opinions on them:
  1. Beats Solo - nothing amazing. Annoying bass that overpowers everything else.
  2. Sony MDR-EX50 - Really amazing earphones... better, more enjoyable experience than the Solos. They're "deep bass" apparently. Very bright and upbeat sound. Pretty good for a pair of earphones.
  3. Beats Studios - Enjoyable bass, in your face music (which I like). However the quality wasn't good enough.
  4. Sennheiser HD 518 - Good classical and melodic sounds I guess.But I feel it's slightly dull, and I feel the bass doesn't fit in with the music, the bass and other sounds feel slightly "fake". As I'm wearing them as I type this, I feel that sound is leaking and something is missing. Melodic electronic sounds are bright but not as powerful as I'd hope for.

How do the ATH-m50 compares to the headphones above? I enjoy in your face sound that I got on my everyday-used Sony earphones heh... But just enough so that no elements overpower each other. I also like to feel the bass, but only so that it doesn't overpower any other sound.

I would prefer it to be like the Beats Studios but with much better sound quality and bass not overpowering everything else? Is this too much to ask for? Music I listen to ranges from Jrock and Kpop to Metal, Rap and Rock, Melodic dubstep.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

EDIT. One more thing. How do the M50s compare to the Sennheisers HD 518 in size. Are the ear cups bigger/smaller/tighter? I liked the feel of the Studios when wearing them, if that helps.

M50 is smaller than the HD518, the earpads on the M50 is smaller as the result and might sit on your ear if you have big ears, they are similar size to Studios. (only had a short audition at the shop so i cant tell much about confort sorry, bit when i did wear them for 5 minutes i thought the comfort was ok, not as nice as the hd518 with way bigger earpads though) the M50 bass is deep and tight powerful enough, treble is prominent. and it is quite a fun headphone to listen to. i suggest you should like it :D 

overall it sounds really good, except the soundstage where it's much too narrow for my liking

Aug 19, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #3 of 4
I used to have both. Gave the HD518 to a friend after using them for a year. I still have my M50s, 'cause I like them a lot. Of course, not as much as my K701s or my HD598s, but those are in a totally different price range.

If you think Beats Studios are 'in your face', and you like that, get some Grados. Everyone looks sexier in them, too (although it doesn't make much sense to wear them outside).

Aug 20, 2012 at 3:47 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
the M50 bass is deep and tight powerful enough, treble is prominent. and it is quite a fun headphone to listen to.

That's great, kind of what I'm looking for. Also a plus if they are slightly smaller than the HD518s.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back