ATH-M50 and Burn In
Sep 4, 2009 at 8:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

drmoreau

New Head-Fier
So first off I just wanted to thank all of those who helped me in deciding on the ATH-M50s...just got them in today and right off the bat they are far more comfortable than my old Bose Triports and they sound better straight outta the box!

I have already jammed Dark Side of the Moon and I am currently working through the Beatles remasters...everything sounds fantastic...

I guess the main point of this thread is to ask the M50 owners out there how you went about 'burning in' these cans...

how long did you burn them in?
what level volume?
what type of tunes?
how big of a difference did it make?

...Also, I am dying to plug these into my guitar amp and jam with them a bit...should I wait until after the burning in process or would it even have any effect on them or am I just worrying too much
jecklinsmile.gif

Okay, I guess that's it...thanks again for all the help!

Sep 4, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #3 of 9
Thanks very much 1Time! I went through the Burn In FAQ thread...it seems burning in methods do vary quite a bit...I guess I'll just put the ipod on shuffle and let it play until it runs out, then the cans can experience a little bit of everything

If any other M50 owners would like to chime in feel free! I am digging these things so much, they definitely have exceeded my expectations already!

Sep 4, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #4 of 9
Just enjoy and listen to the music on any audio equipment you get :)

As to your question, the M50's don't react nor change to burn in in any way.

Sep 4, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #5 of 9
I own ATH-M50s. They are solid closed back studio monitors, especially for their current prices on ebay, which are below $100 US. They are decently balanced and quite clear, especially in the midrange. Treble and bass could definitely use some work compared to more expensive closed cans and/or open cans in the same price bracket, like Sennheiser HD555, but they sound just fine when driven by reasonably powerful sources. Sound good OK my Sony walkman and Samusng T9, but have somewhat muddy bass and metallic treble when unamped with these sources. They sound just fine straight out of my new AMP3 however - no amp needed - although there's a slight hiss issue with AMP3.

Out of the box, the sound was quite bad however. The bass was totally undefined and mushy, completely lacking tightness. Things started improving with burn in, but the M50s do not settle in completely until well beyond the 100 hour mark to my ears. When they completely burn in, the bass quantity noticeably increases and bass becomes much tighter than in the beginning. However, bass quality is still not this headphone's forte - it's still a bit undefined and gives the M50 that closed can feeling. Mids are quite nice though and some of the best you can get for that price. Treble is also fine when these are amped.

Sep 5, 2009 at 1:01 AM Post #6 of 9
Pianist: how do the m50's compare to your hd25's and GMP 8.35's...treble, mids, and bass? I'm considering the m50's and the GMP 8.35, and would much prefer to buy the cheaper one(m50) if it's close in quality...and neutrality/accurate frequency response.

Sep 5, 2009 at 5:19 AM Post #7 of 9
About 60-70 hrs of normal music or pink noise should be sufficient to burn them in.

Sep 16, 2009 at 8:22 AM Post #8 of 9
they are called M because they are MONITORing headphones, no? so its obvious that the frequency response will be relatively flat throughout the spectrum, no? so its logical that if you listen to any MIXED and MASTERED material, on portable devices or thru amps of any sort, you'll get the extra HIFI frequencies and loudness boosts; that, i beleive will cause the bass to sound muddy, no?

anyhow, im plannin on gettin me a pair soon, and will definately enjoy them, being the proud owner of a beat-down pair of M30.

peace

Sep 17, 2009 at 8:07 PM Post #9 of 9
If it makes you feel any better, I just picked up my M50's this weekend and one of the first things I did was pump my '59 LP through them! Heck, I took my LP to the store with me to make sure it sounded good through the phones before I bought them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back