ATH-M50 achieved, time for good IEM's
Aug 6, 2011 at 2:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Danchou

Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I got my ATH-M50 a week ago, upgraded from 20 € IEM. I of course love them, but i would rather like something more portable, so I was thinking on switching back to IEM or get a pair besides the M50. The ATH-M50 also drain my Galaxy S i9000 way too fast.
I don't want to lose the high quality of the M50, but i think I prefer the sound(stage) of IEM over Headphones. Important for me is, that they have a good isolation, because i will mainly listen to them in the bus. Also they should not be too analytic/sharp(RE0?) since i just wanna enjoy my music on the go. My favorite is the M3 atm, because i heard they sound really enjoyable and i LOVE the design and i get them easily in EU. If the other IEM's outperform the M3 i would rather take them though.
I thought about getting one of these:

| Brainwavz M3 | Brainwavz M2 | Head-Direct RE0 | Sunrise SW-Xcape |

Now my Question:

Which IEM's should I take for unamped Galaxy S i9000?

Thank you in advance :)

I listen to all kinds of music: all kinds of Rock, Hip-hop, Pop, R'n'B, Dubstep, Soundtracks (Howard Shore, Hans Zimmer, Yann Tiersen, etc) Blues.
I don't listen to: Metal, hardrock, house, electronic, reggea, and everything where someone is shouting at me too loud except for System of a Down :p

Aug 6, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #2 of 7
I think Shure SE215 and 315 are good for those really epic movie soundtracks you and I both like to listen to!

Westone anything is probably a tie for me as well

Aug 7, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #3 of 7
I am now also considering getting Koss porta pro or KSC75 for portable use...
the reviews are really good and the price is so tempting cheap.

Can these compete with the IEM's listed above?

Aug 7, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #4 of 7
Well I have the Shure SE215s and the PortaPros, and I can tell you now that the SE215s win in every aspect IMO. This is a rather unfair comparison due to the price difference, however. The PortaPros are phenomenal for how much they cost, but I'm willing to bet that any of the above mentioned IEMs are going to be better than them. Also, the 215s are slightly bassy, which sounds good with Dubstep and Hip-Hop.

Aug 8, 2011 at 3:24 AM Post #5 of 7
If you are thinking of getting something like the Porta-Pros, just skip them and get the JAYS V-Jays. I have both and even Kramer modded, the V-Jay has a richer, cleaner sound with a really surprising bass response. In comparison the Porta Pros just sound muddy. Plus, the V-Jays are nice and cheap on mymemory :)

If it was between V-Jays and an IEM, I would choose carefully as the kind of music you listen to seems to require a fair amount of bass depth. SE215 seems to be a frequently recommended option for a bassy IEM, but I really doubt you will still get the same visceral response you'll get out of them compared to the V-Jays simple because the V-Jays are closer to being full size headphones, tiny as they are.

Aug 8, 2011 at 7:25 AM Post #6 of 7
My brand new ATH-M50 JUST CRASHED on me !
i cant believe it, the left speaker just stopped working, after two weeks!
i am speechless.
I'll return them to amazon and think about getting another pair after i have tested the ksc75 and m2/m3y brand new ATH-M50 JUST CRASHED on me !
i cant believe it, the left speaker just stopped working, after two weeks!
i am speechless.
I'll return them to amazon and think about getting another pair after i have tested the ksc75 and m2/m3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back