ATH ES7 vs. Klipsch S4 vs. Etymotic ER6i
May 14, 2010 at 9:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

mindy123

Head-Fier
I am torn. I know all three have excellent sound but I was just wondering which is better for my music: electro-house, techno etc? I know the ES7 is a headphone and the other two are earphones. The ES7 is a bit more expensive and was wondering if the price difference is justified? If not then which of the IEMs would give similar quality sound for less?

Thanks

May 14, 2010 at 10:17 AM Post #2 of 13

Quote:
I am torn. I know all three have excellent sound but I was just wondering which is better for my music: electro-house, techno etc? I know the ES7 is a headphone and the other two are earphones. The ES7 is a bit more expensive and was wondering if the price difference is justified? If not then which of the IEMs would give similar quality sound for less?

Thanks

For Techno music, the Klipsch S4 would definitely be your better bet vs. the ER6i.  I'm not sure about the ES7's.

May 14, 2010 at 10:43 AM Post #4 of 13
HI there,

As I haven't hear the SE7s I can only comment on the Klipsch and Etymotics.  I had the ER6is for a couple of years, but they recently died and were replaced with the S4i.  If you're looking for a set of all-around IEMs, with your primary focus on electronic music, I would highly recommend the Klipsch over the Etymotics.

The ER6is have great highs and tight lows, but you really have to have a warm source or (if listening on an iPod) you have to really crank the volume to bring out the bass.  When there is a good synergy between the ER6i and your player, the bass can be deep and articulate (though at times it may seem detached from the rest of the music); otherwise the bass may come across as thin--which may not be very pleasing for electronic music.    

Coming from the Etymotics, the Klipsch sounded muddy and bloated at first (I actually considered returning them).  But either because I found a good fit or because of burn-in they cleared up pretty quickly.  For the price point, they have a really nice balance, though I think it's weighted slightly towards the lower mids.  The bass is punchy and articulate, with a better overall low-end presentation than the ER6i.  The mids are pretty detailed, though slightly recessed.  The highs are crisp, but not as bright as the ER6i.  The overall sound is warm and a lot more fun to listen to compared with the ER6i.       

Other things to note:
> There is much less cable noise on the Klipsch than the Etymotics.
> Both sets can be worn around the ears to further reduce cable noise
> The Klipsch has a 2 year warranty, whereas the Etymotics only has a 1 year
> The S4 looks large but is extremely comfortable with the supplied silicone tips.  I can wear them for hours without any discomfort.  The comfort compares to my ACS custom tips--more so than any other stock IEM tip (I'm sure that I tried them all). 
> The ER6i has better noise isolation out of the box.  But as both IEMs use the same size tips, you can buy Shure or Etymotic flange or foam tips for the Klipsch and achieve the same level of isolation if needed.

If you aren't sure which of the 3 headphones to get, maybe look into buying from a company like Amazon or Apple--both allow you to return headphones (no questions asked) if you don't like them.  

I hope this helps

May 14, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #7 of 13
i have both the ath-es7 and the klipsch image s4. what the other have said above is pretty much true. i listen to a lot of electronic music: mostly downtempo, trip hop, indie electro, etc. the s4's have more bass, but i definitely prefer the sound of the es7's. they still have a good amount of bass, and it is cleaner and less muddy.

one main difference really (as others have mentioned) is the COMFORT. other than the fact that one is an iem and one is supra-aural, the klipsch really spoil your ears as far as comfort. for me the es7 are fine for like the first hour, then my upper ear starts to get a bit sore after that. i still reach for the es7's more often though these days. when they start to hurt, i just take a break or bear with it.

i don't have the most discerning ears, but i'd say the es7 have bigger soundstage, a little bit cleaner sound, but a little less isolation. the es7's amaze me with how little they leak though! sound will creep in, but hardly any will escape if they are on properly. i blast them on the train and no one around me gets annoyed.

May 15, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #8 of 13

Quote:
i have both the ath-es7 and the klipsch image s4. what the other have said above is pretty much true. i listen to a lot of electronic music: mostly downtempo, trip hop, indie electro, etc. the s4's have more bass, but i definitely prefer the sound of the es7's. they still have a good amount of bass, and it is cleaner and less muddy.

one main difference really (as others have mentioned) is the COMFORT. other than the fact that one is an iem and one is supra-aural, the klipsch really spoil your ears as far as comfort. for me the es7 are fine for like the first hour, then my upper ear starts to get a bit sore after that. i still reach for the es7's more often though these days. when they start to hurt, i just take a break or bear with it.

i don't have the most discerning ears, but i'd say the es7 have bigger soundstage, a little bit cleaner sound, but a little less isolation. the es7's amaze me with how little they leak though! sound will creep in, but hardly any will escape if they are on properly. i blast them on the train and no one around me gets annoyed.

Thanks. I will strat looking around for the ES7

May 15, 2010 at 11:48 PM Post #10 of 13
Before you decide to buy a pair of ATH-ES7s have a look at this. The majority that are sold on eBay are fakes, and if you see a new, not refurbished for below $80 I'd take precaution and have a close look at the headphones before buying.

I just recently purchased myself a pair of ES7s not too long ago and I think they sound fantastic after burn-in, however they sounded decent right out of the box with my mp3 player as well.

May 16, 2010 at 9:37 AM Post #11 of 13
If you want es7 for cheap, buy refurb pair at beachcamera.com. 59$ & they look like new, are legit & have 1 year warranty. Bought mine there - glad.

Oct 16, 2010 at 1:56 AM Post #13 of 13
It's always nice to have someone vini vidi vici one's opinion.  And I do!  I have Ety 6i and klipsch s5; your call is spot on: ER a bit dry, more for jazz or, as you say, a portable with some bass boost (I use MDs from Sony). With the Klipsch turn the boost off--entirely. It's a pretty tight low end; it adds a little warmth to voice. Not as detailed in upper mids, but a very pleasant experience. Comfort: top notch; you can sleep with them in as they don't protrude. ERs also pretty comfortable; I use both while riding my Ducati--the attenuation is dramatic.  S5 has notably more output.  With Klipsch your cans come in a can--good for altoids . . . . 

I think both brands are terrific value. Jazz and classical--Etymotics. Reggae, techno beat, afro beat, pommes frite--Klipsch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back