ATH-ES7 vs Fanny Wang's On Ear Wangs
Jan 29, 2011 at 8:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

nibuoy

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a pair of stylish, portable, comfortable, and good-sounding  on ear headphones.
in addition to sound quality, they must be very comfortable and not be noticable when wearing for long hours.
I currently have the sennheiser HD 202 (I know, laugh), and sometimes, they irritate the part of my ear around the ear canal. This happens sometimes also with the panasonic rp-htx7.

I've been thinking about the Audio Technica ES7 or the Fanny Wang's On Ear Wangs. I have heard good things about the sound quality of the ES7's. I really like the looks on the On Ear Wangs (look like the beats solo's) and heard that they have much better sound than Dr. Dre's. Which ones sound better, and which ones are more comfortable?

Also, are there any other headphones that fit my description?

Thanks in advance

P.S. does anyone know where i can try on and test these headphones in manhattan?

Jan 29, 2011 at 9:11 AM Post #2 of 14
I'm pretty sure I'm the only one with a pair of Wangs here. If you can find me a place that sells authentic ES7's for $55 like they used to, I'd be glad to buy them to compare in depth. I remember very little from the ES7 sound, but from what I remember, the mids are totally polar. The Wangs are a bit thin on the mids and have plasticy lower treble, whereas the ES7's are fun, colored mids.

Jan 29, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #3 of 14
Hmm
I've been looking around, but apart from ebay, I can't seem to find them for under 100

How are the Wangs compared to other headphones in its price range?
Also, I looked at your review, and was wondering how they were in Classical music, as i listen to that as well as hip-hop/rock?

Do the Wangs bleed sound? That might be a dealbreaker for me.

Jan 29, 2011 at 2:34 PM Post #4 of 14
The ES7s are VERY uncomfortable. Even with stretching and bending the elbows, they are still uncomfortable and hurt my ears after a while. However, they sound amazing. I just want to throw that out there since you said you wanted something comfortable.

Jan 29, 2011 at 5:30 PM Post #5 of 14

Quote:
Hmm
I've been looking around, but apart from ebay, I can't seem to find them for under 100

How are the Wangs compared to other headphones in its price range?
Also, I looked at your review, and was wondering how they were in Classical music, as i listen to that as well as hip-hop/rock?

Do the Wangs bleed sound? That might be a dealbreaker for me.

Yeah, I think I should scrap that. They sound totally different now. The bass took a huge step back. And for classical, you could do better, because of the lack of a soundstage, but they sound pretty airy, so they would suffice. For rock they're pretty good. They have nice PRat, and the accentuated lower treble makes guitars sound aggressive. For hip hop, sure, they work. It's probably not ideal though, and most that are used to a lot of bass might be disappointed with the amount these have.
Well, these are portable fashion headphones, so they are a bit overpriced for $170, and don't really compare greatly to something like the HD25 or ESW9. I prefer these to the M50 though, but I'm weird about them, and I might have used a temperamental pair. They're more fun than the DT770 though.

Actually, the gist of the sound of these is veiled, with a bit of a lower treble spike and bass that tends to smear. Something like the bastardized child of the worst parts of the HD650, K701, and something like the...I really don't know what has bass like this. It's smeared and not very prominent. Not at their (the former pair) tier though. It's the pads of these that kill the sound though. I tried some other pads and the spike disappeared.

And I just made an update to my review. These leak a bit of sound too.

Jan 29, 2011 at 8:13 PM Post #7 of 14
MDR-V700DJ
HD280
K-81DJ
HFI-450

Just some guesses.

A couple of local acquaintances have told me the Sony MDR-NC7 is a good all-rounder, though I have never tried them myself.  They are not audiophiles so who knows, but you should be able to try them somewhere or buy them with a 30-day return so you can take your time auditioning them.

Jan 29, 2011 at 11:38 PM Post #8 of 14

Quote:
MDR-V700DJ
HD280
K-81DJ
HFI-450

Just some guesses.

A couple of local acquaintances have told me the Sony MDR-NC7 is a good all-rounder, though I have never tried them myself.  They are not audiophiles so who knows, but you should be able to try them somewhere or buy them with a 30-day return so you can take your time auditioning them.

thanks for you input, but all of those are too bulky, and not my style
hmm this is becoming harder than i expected

Jan 30, 2011 at 10:20 AM Post #9 of 14

Quote:
Quote:
MDR-V700DJ
HD280
K-81DJ
HFI-450

Just some guesses.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/536880/review-fashion-vs-function-phiaton-ms400-b-w-p5-monster-beats-solo-v-moda-crossfade-sony-xb700-hd25-1

Jan 30, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #10 of 14

Quote:
Quote:
MDR-V700DJ
HD280
K-81DJ
HFI-450

Just some guesses.

K81 is bulkier than ES7?
That thing folds up smaller than ES7/ESW9 if I'm not mistaken.

closed_cans_shoot_01.jpg

Alternatively, you could try ATH-FC700 or EP700 (small, fold flat like ES7), but those are less "hifi".  I'm not too familiar with the portable 'phones around $100 and under, just throwin' ya something to look into.  Headphonia.com has done a few shootouts with portable headphones and there's a large review thread with portable full-sized 'phones in the portable headphones forum here.

Oh, and I can assure you the NC7 isn't bulky.  It is about the size of the ES7/ESW9, perhaps slightly smaller.  I used to own ESW9.  I would've liked it better if it could fold up like a DJ headphone rather than folding flat.

Jan 31, 2011 at 2:20 AM Post #11 of 14
what I mean by bulky and size is when you're wearing them.
I don't feel so good walking around with full-sized headphones on my head.

I'd say that I wouldn't want anything larger than the beats studio

Jan 31, 2011 at 7:28 AM Post #12 of 14
That leaves you with the K81 (iirc), ESW9, ES7, HD25, MS300/400 (I think the latter is smaller. Never tried them though.), and T50 for good portables.

Jan 31, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #14 of 14
Also, i just looked at the Jaybird Sportsband
I really like the look, and the fact that its wireless, but how is the sound quality?
I realize it will be a step down from wired, but I'm definitly not an audiophile, and as long as they sound better than my sennheiser HD 202's, i probably won't notice too much of a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back