ATH-ES7 Essential Mod (w. Headshots)
Mar 14, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #46 of 71
I've been using ES-7's for ~3 months now and I absolutely see no reason to mod them. I really don't think their clamping is too strong.

May 21, 2009 at 10:50 AM Post #48 of 71
Quote:

But don't they look weird on your head with the elbows sticking out like crazy?

OK, they looked weird, but I don't use them outdoors.
I tried this mod - it's better now.

May 21, 2009 at 11:53 AM Post #49 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by sputnikmoments /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I went and got myself an ES7. However, I find that it can be abit uncomfortable to use. My ears will feel slightly painful after awhile. Is this normal for someone using earphones for the first time? Or should I do the headband mod right away?

I had the exact same problem as you man. Do the mod and it'll be better. I was quite cautious when doing it so I bent it slowly while constantly re-reading this thread haha.Initially the pain came on after around 1 or 2 hours of listening, now its more around 2-3 and its more comfortable on the skull as well. And like the rest have said, it looks better now without the metal "elbows" sticking out.

Jun 21, 2009 at 9:01 PM Post #50 of 71
I just received my ES7's and want to do this, but I still can't really figure it out. I read threw this whole thread, and I put my fingers where I'm supposed to, and bend, but it doesn't do anything. Pictures and/or videos of this process would be really great!

Jul 15, 2009 at 1:43 AM Post #51 of 71
Thanks for this 3X0, and this adjustment greatly improves comfort.

Perhaps the new ones are manufactured differently (mine is 2008-06) or my head is shaped differently, but I found that I only had to bend it a touch to get the desired effect. I thought I didn't do anything, but when I put them on, they were basically in line with your image.

Aug 13, 2009 at 1:50 AM Post #52 of 71
Aug 13, 2009 at 8:37 PM Post #53 of 71
3X0, imho you have provided one of the best bang for the buck mods on this site. (ie a mod that can be done in under 2 minutes and results in big improvements)

Aug 13, 2009 at 8:41 PM Post #54 of 71
This mod really improved the comfort of the phones for me. This was a pleasant surprise, as I mainly did the mod to improve the looks and so they'd conform to my head better. Excellent. It does almost feel like the manufacturer meant for the user to do this -- they should put this in the user manual under "customizing your phones via bending" heh

Nov 16, 2009 at 10:19 PM Post #55 of 71
Ran across this thread and tried this mod on my ES7's. It took about 10 minutes to do and it's well worth it!

They fit much more comfortably now and not only do they not stick out as much, they also don't put as much pressure on my ears as they did before.

happy_face1.gif

Nov 25, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #56 of 71
I've been wanting to try this mod but the fear of snapping the plastic has prevented me from doing so... the metal seems VERY hard and thick (unlike something like HD650 headband bend, which is soft and was easy enough to do) and feels like it will require a significant amount of force. I realize that you are supposed to adjust the headband first to only one click, but is the plastic really durable enough?

Nov 26, 2009 at 6:52 AM Post #57 of 71
Question: Are the ES7's in the first post indeed black? I was under the impression that ES7s only come in silver.

Nov 26, 2009 at 7:02 AM Post #58 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiComm4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Question: Are the ES7's in the first post indeed black? I was under the impression that ES7s only come in silver.

If anyone tries to sell you silver ES7s, run ...

There is a white model, but the standard ES7 has been designed to resemble the mahogany on the more expensive ESW9/ESW10:

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs30/f/20...y_GCTHawk7.jpg

If there is a silver one, I've never seen it. Mine look exactly like the photo above (warning - its the size of Kansas ..)

Nov 27, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #59 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If anyone tries to sell you silver ES7s, run ...

[snip]

If there is a silver one, I've never seen it. ...

Hmmm .. the Audio-Technica site itself does not agree with this: they show silver backs with either black (like mine) or white headband. We are talking ATH-ES7's here, yes?

See

Audio-Technica - Microphones, headphones, wireless microphone systems, noise-cancelling headphones & more : ATH-ES7 : Portable Headphones

or just search for "ATH-ES7" from the home page of www.audio-technica.com. The silver backs couldn't be clearer -- see Picture #4.

Nov 27, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #60 of 71
ok - I can see a pair that I would describe as 'white' and a pair I might describe as 'black/mahogany', in terms of the colouring on the cans themselves. If they make a silver pair, so be it - I no longer listen to mine, so its not really something I'm going to lie awake at night over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back