ATH-ANC7 or Denon AH-D1001
Nov 28, 2008 at 8:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Cipher7

New Head-Fier
Looking for some portable full sized cans with good SQ. After trying some IEMs, I realize I do not like the feel of in ear. My budget is around $100 and amazon has both of these for less than 100.

So my question to you guys is, which one has better SQ? I am going to play this on mainly ipod touch. I think the design on the Denon's is way better and they are cheaper by a few bucks. Will I notice any difference between these two? Looks also play an important role and the sturdiness of the product (being able to withstand throwing inside a backpack).

Thanks for your advice!
L3000.gif

Nov 28, 2008 at 7:28 PM Post #2 of 11
If you give the ANC7 about 200-300 hours of burn-in with the power on they will sound better than an unamped D-1001. But you really need to leave the power turned on with the ANC7 or they sound closed.

Nov 29, 2008 at 2:14 AM Post #3 of 11
Sorry to see only one reply...
frown.gif

But anyway, are you pretty much recommending me to get the ANC7? My take is that battery may be a small nuisance, but if I can just get the D1001 straight up and pretty decent quality (coming from senn cx500), will I be set?

Thanks for your reply!

Nov 29, 2008 at 2:20 AM Post #4 of 11
Personally, I recommend Audio Technica ATH-M50. I just ordered a pair myself. It's a great sounding, very comfortable circumaural closed can in the $100 range. I think it will sound better than both of the ones you mentioned and isolates much better than the Denons for sure.

Nov 29, 2008 at 2:36 AM Post #5 of 11
I wouldn't recommend the Denons are portables if, by portable, you mean you'll walk around with them. I do sometimes, but on the streets I can't listen to podcasts at all and only pretty rockish stuff gets through. Not enjoyable. No comment on the ATHs.

Nov 29, 2008 at 2:52 AM Post #6 of 11
Yes by portable I mean walking around, listening somewhere not at home - only powered by ipod, and my goal is to get something similar to the bose Triport on ear/over ear or their Quiet Comfort lines.

These Bose headphones are really good for comfort and out of house use. I was wondering if there were any other brands that had this quality like the Bose. I have a pair of ATH-ES7, but those hurt my ear after one hour (sadly).

Nov 29, 2008 at 3:00 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cipher7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes by portable I mean walking around, listening somewhere not at home - only powered by ipod, and my goal is to get something similar to the bose Triport on ear/over ear or their Quiet Comfort lines.

These Bose headphones are really good for comfort and out of house use. I was wondering if there were any other brands that had this quality like the Bose. I have a pair of ATH-ES7, but those hurt my ear after one hour (sadly).

ATH-M50 is as comfortable as Bose, but sounds way better.

Nov 29, 2008 at 3:36 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cipher7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry to see only one reply...
frown.gif

But anyway, are you pretty much recommending me to get the ANC7? My take is that battery may be a small nuisance, but if I can just get the D1001 straight up and pretty decent quality (coming from senn cx500), will I be set?

Thanks for your reply!

I did not like the D1000 as much - they sounded cheap to me when compared to the D2000 or D5000. I haven't heard the D1001, only the D1000.

I have not heard the ATH-M50, but I have owned Bose QC1, QC2 and OE and IE, and the ANC7 are definitely better than the Bose. But the ANC7 sound best with the power on and after they are fully burned-in with the power turned on (so the driver and electronics both get burned in). They can be used with the power off but then they don't sound as good as the D1001. But with power turned on and plugged into an iPod the ANC7 are better than D1001 straight out of the ipod.

I was only answering your question about the two headphones, and I'm not familiar with other closed headphones in that price range.

Nov 29, 2008 at 4:05 AM Post #10 of 11
Well the ANC7 are cheaper by 50 dollars and chances are battery replacement will run pretty cheap for awhile haha... I will see if I can test out the ANC7 vs the M50. Any further input is greatly appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back