ATH AD900X or Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro for Gaming and Music
Feb 16, 2020 at 12:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Lurkeyyy

New Head-Fier
Hello there!

I'm looking for a new open back headphone to replace my Sennheiser Game Zero. I've never used an open back headphones before and would like to try because i heard good things about them having a wider sound stage and feels more natural.

I'm looking towards these headphones mainly cause i hear good reviews about them regarding their sound stage for competitive gaming (Well more to the AD700X but i heard that the AD900X have more bass).

My main usage for this headphone would be gaming (competitive and non-competitive). I play a lot of FPS, Open World games, RPG games, and sport simulation. My secondary usage would be music and movies, i listen to a lot of music (mostly pop, rock and folk) and the quality of music would be important to me as well. With that being said, i am looking for a more all around headphone as i don't only game competitively, but i will also use one of this headphones for casual gaming and listening to music. I'm not a bass head but i do like to have some bass. I'll be using these headphones on my PC, which would be on my room (so i'd prefer open back) and using them with my FiiO K3 DAC/AMP

Now i do have the Sony WH1000XM-3 but i usually use them on my phone for commuting. I would like to ask another advice if would it be better if i just buy these headphones for a more competitive side and use the Sony for the casual side, or are these headphone good enough to use both for competitive as well as casual.

I've previously used the Sennheiser Game Zero, HyperX Cloud, ATH M50X and while i've been fairly pleased by them, i am looking to have a better quality overall but mostly, sound stage and clarity.

If there are any more recommendations, i would gladly consider it. My budget is around 200$

Thank you!

EDIT: after using my Sony's again, i really love the sound of my music with this.

So i'd say i'm looking for something that is similiar in Sony's sound for my music but has a wide soundstage (basically great and detailed for gaming)

ALSO, since i've seen a lot of people advicing other people to try them on personally, i could not because i live in Indonesia which has a really few headphone store and does not sell many headphone products, but i will be buying the headphones from Australia (my girlfriend will be bringing me the headphones when she goes home)

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2020 at 12:43 PM Post #2 of 4
The Soundmagic HP200 open headphones are like an improved DT990.
In general, I would take the AD900X, over the DT990.
The AD900X, has bass, but not a lot, the DT990 has a much louder and slightly bloated (lose) sounding bass.
There are those that like the DT990 for FPS gaming.
The AD900X could easily be driving by a phone or low cost headphone amplifier.

Feb 16, 2020 at 6:51 PM Post #3 of 4
The Soundmagic HP200 open headphones are like an improved DT990.
In general, I would take the AD900X, over the DT990.
The AD900X, has bass, but not a lot, the DT990 has a much louder and slightly bloated (lose) sounding bass.
There are those that like the DT990 for FPS gaming.
The AD900X could easily be driving by a phone or low cost headphone amplifier.
Thank you for your reply!

Have you had any experiences with these? and something that i'd like to ask is if the AD900X has a similiar soundstage to the 700X? or if the bass would affect it?

Feb 16, 2020 at 9:46 PM Post #4 of 4
Thank you for your reply!

Have you had any experiences with these? and something that i'd like to ask is if the AD900X has a similar soundstage to the 700X? or if the bass would affect it?
I own the AD700 and A900X (closed) and the DT990 (250 & 600) headphones and HP200.
Have never been into FPS gaming, but would easy take the AD900X, because at least it has more bass, then the AD700(X).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back