ATH-AD900 or SONY MDR-F1....OR AD700? (psy/goa/idm/ebm)
Oct 21, 2008 at 4:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

HippieTom

500+ Head-Fier
Hi. Now its time to try my first open cans. I have one week to deside before my money comes
smile_phones.gif

I have the k271s no and im very happy with them. But im very interested in getting me a good set of open cans to. Have never tried it before.

Im a oldtime goa fan and would love a can that is a little more fun than the akgs but also good SQ. toe-tapping i think is the term
jecklinsmile.gif

Orderd a little dot I+ and it was sent on monday so that should be here soon. I also use Juli@ as source.

What would be the best choice you guys and girls think? AD900 or the F1s.

Help me out please
regular_smile .gif

Oct 21, 2008 at 4:58 PM Post #2 of 24
I've heard good things on the AD700's, so the AD900's should be an extension of that

my personal tastes in open headphones lean towards Grado and Sennheiser though, I love my HD 580's, especially for the majority of genres you've listed, granted the 580's aren't for sale any more (new), however the HD 600's are available for around the price of a new MDR F-1 pair

Oct 21, 2008 at 7:26 PM Post #3 of 24
Yes but i think im going to stay with just one of the two iv mentient. the LD I+ is made for low impedance phones so will stick to that for now.But great to hear the senns working out in this genre

Oct 21, 2008 at 8:00 PM Post #4 of 24
well the F1's are certainly low impedance

based on what I've read about the two of them, I'd go for the AT's, as they should have more LF extension and impact, while the F1's have been described as airy and holographic, great for imaging and highs/mids ,but the low end isn't really impacting, because they're so open

Grado would be another consideration, as they are very easy to drive with any source, so you might want to consider the SR-225 or SR-325i as well, although, the LF isn't quite as impacting as it would be with a closed 'phone

Oct 21, 2008 at 8:07 PM Post #5 of 24
I got some low frequency test tunes, and any suggestion that the F1 hasn't got impacting bass sure ain't what I experienced. It hasn't got bass that has been generated through air pressure built up in the confines of a sealed enclosure, but bass firing directly from the headphone surface. So you don't get any boomy bass. It is solid with very good attack and decay times.

Oct 21, 2008 at 8:14 PM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by StanleyB1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got some low frequency test tunes, and any suggestion that the F1 hasn't got impacting bass sure ain't what I experienced. It hasn't got bass that has been generated through air pressure built up in the confines of a sealed enclosure, but bass firing directly from the headphone surface. So you don't get any boomy bass. It is solid with very good attack and decay times.

ignoring your attack on closed headphones
L3000.gif

I would conjecture that while an open phone, say the F1, or something less open, like the HD 580, it will be capable of producing bass, but it won't be in the quantity or ability of something like the D2000, DX1000, W1000, etc

furthermore, test tones are nothing like music, so the drivers themselves aren't able to push just the LF freq in a playback scenario, they have to carry all freqs, which means less impact on a given range (just like the amplifier shouldn't be tested on held freqs, its efficient, and gives you nice numbers, but it isn't realistic)

Oct 22, 2008 at 3:58 AM Post #8 of 24
I recommend to replace AD900 with AD700 in your equation. AD700 has bigger soundstage and better instrument positioning, probably due to angled drivers (AD900 drivers are not angled). AD900 has better midrange and softer sound overall. This is good for jazz, not trance.

Choice between AD700 and F1 is not easy, both are very good. I may take friend's AD700 and compare it to my F1, if you are willing to wait a couple of days.

Oct 22, 2008 at 5:57 AM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ignoring your attack on closed headphones
L3000.gif

Am I attacking them, or offering a comparison?

Quote:

I would conjecture that while an open phone, say the F1, or something less open, like the HD 580, it will be capable of producing bass, but it won't be in the quantity or ability of something like the D2000, DX1000, W1000, etc

Sorry I got to break the news to you, but guesses on your part won't turn them into facts
wink_face.gif

Quote:

furthermore, test tones are nothing like music, so the drivers themselves aren't able to push just the LF freq in a playback scenario, they have to carry all freqs, which means less impact on a given range (just like the amplifier shouldn't be tested on held freqs, its efficient, and gives you nice numbers, but it isn't realistic)

Who said anything about test tones? Not me. I use test tunes. But for linguistic purposes I shall expand the phrase and mention that a tune is another word for a song
biggrin.gif

Oct 22, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #10 of 24
Thanx for all the inputs guys.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kostalex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recommend to replace AD900 with AD700 in your equation. AD700 has bigger soundstage and better instrument positioning, probably due to angled drivers (AD900 drivers are not angled). AD900 has better midrange and softer sound overall. This is good for jazz, not trance.

Choice between AD700 and F1 is not easy, both are very good. I may take friend's AD700 and compare it to my F1, if you are willing to wait a couple of days.

Hmm.Interesting. Thats good too hear. under half the price of the 900s too so if it gonna be the ATs its going to to be the 700s.

Im VERY interessted in what you think would be the most involving cans of the 700s and F1s. The HP that can make the electronica most toe-papping I WANT
smily_headphones1.gif

Im not buying before 31. this mont so i have a week to deside so post as much as you want( and thats to all of you
normal_smile .gif
)

Oct 22, 2008 at 5:27 PM Post #11 of 24
added ad700 to the title. what about bass impact in these 3 phones?

Oct 22, 2008 at 5:49 PM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by kostalex /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Really? I always figured the soundstage would be the about the same. Is the soundstage of the AD900 still large? Also, are the mids on the AD900 slightly recessed like on the AD700?

Oct 22, 2008 at 8:19 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by StanleyB1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Am I attacking them, or offering a comparison?

Sorry I got to break the news to you, but guesses on your part won't turn them into facts
wink_face.gif

Who said anything about test tones? Not me. I use test tunes. But for linguistic purposes I shall expand the phrase and mention that a tune is another word for a song
biggrin.gif

no where did I state facts, I just said that open headphones (ALL open headphones) in my experience (which is also generally backed by most writing about the topic) have less bass impact than their closed bretheren

and furthermore, based on what I've read, the MDR-F1 is somewhat less potent in terms of total low end "thump", than something like the HD 600/650 or K701/K702, and cannot even get in the ring with something like the D2000/D5000, however, I've never heard the F1, and I've stated this a few times

based on that, and based on my experience (in terms of what I own) with open 'phones (Grado and Sennheiser), I pointed him towards what I know, or to Audio-Technica, as they're an equally good 'phone (and some bucks cheaper than the F1)

just because you're on the other side of the pond, doesn't mean you have to get sore when an ami doesn't wanna kowtow
beerchug.gif

Oct 22, 2008 at 8:39 PM Post #14 of 24
I have the AD900s. They are wonderful for most of the genres I don't listen to like jazz and classical. The soundstage is startling. Since I listen to blues mostly, I'm selling them. If you listen to electronica, trance, or dance, you'll want more bass than the ADs provide (either the 900 or 700). You might want to check out a pair of Grado SR60s. Even if you buy new you won't lose money and they'll certainly tap your toes for you.

Mooch

Oct 23, 2008 at 3:58 AM Post #15 of 24
Ooops, I did it again. It is the second time when I made a wrong comparison between AD700 and AD900 basing strictly on memories. Sorry. So, I checked my logs (sometime I write down my HP impressions) and found the following:
AD700: all-arounder, plays anything, including fast music , like metall. Endless soundstage and rare involving (almost hypnotic) abilitiy make it best choice for new age, ambient and, probably, trance. Though it lacks bass impact for trance, IMO. Comfortable. Overall better than HD595, excluding vocals.

AD900: great all-arounder with no flaws, very accurate bass, deeper and stronger than AD700. Does not involve like AD700, soundstage is even wider. Nice choice for "the only headphone, no amps" approach. The comfort is the same to AD700.
I'll listen to trance with AD700 today and let you know my final thoughts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back