ATH-AD700 vs HD598's
Sep 8, 2011 at 4:33 AM Post #61 of 80

I haven't heard that.  I could have swore that the HD555 and HD595's were the same post foam mod, has that changed with just the xx8 series?

Yes, the HD555 and 595. Those have NOTHING to do with the 558 and 598. I really wish people would stop comparing them as if they're the same. Just because the numbers are somewhat similar, doesn't mean that they are about the same. Just because the foam mod made the 555 sound like the 595, those not translate into the same being for the558 and 598, and FWIR, that seems to be the case.

Sep 8, 2011 at 7:18 AM Post #62 of 80

Quote:
Yes, the HD555 and 595. Those have NOTHING to do with the 558 and 598. I really wish people would stop comparing them as if they're the same. Just because the numbers are somewhat similar, doesn't mean that they are about the same. Just because the foam mod made the 555 sound like the 595, those not translate into the same being for the558 and 598, and FWIR, that seems to be the case.

Couldn't the same hold true for the HD555 and HD595 as well. Just because they hold the same drivers doesn't mean they will sound exactly the same if they are angled differently, have different housing, etc. Also couldn't the frequency response be tweaked as well? I never did the mod nor have I heard the HD595 so Im just wondering if people are hearing what they want to hear so if the HD555 sounds similar but not exactly the same as the HD595.

Sep 8, 2011 at 8:12 AM Post #63 of 80

Quote:
 I never did the mod nor have I heard the HD595 so Im just wondering if people are hearing what they want to hear so if the HD555 sounds similar but not exactly the same as the HD595.

I have both. They are very similar but not the same.
HD595 is more about marketing than anything else, but it has a slightly more pronounced sparkle that stands out a little more than the HD555; there's not much between them though. Certainly not to justify the additional dollars they charged for the HD595. You could easily mistake one for the other.

Over-all, both of them are pretty poor in my books.

Sep 8, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #64 of 80
The dt770 pro can't compare to the ad900. I kept my hfi780 over that. It isn't a bad phone but isn't very clear at all. The ad900 isn't shrill to MOST people who heard it. Maybe you just got some bad ones (or it is your hearing that is damaged). I have the denon d2000 and it is one of the best phones for under $350. The ad900 can compare well with it (I have both and prefer the ad900). The ad900 isn't shrill even in the slightest (not even a microscopic amount). It is very pleasant and smooth with good soundstage. You are unique, just know that.

The ultrasones are sometimes shrill though (they settle after good burn in though).

Sep 9, 2011 at 1:03 AM Post #65 of 80
This is exactly the issue i'm running into, i'm trying to find a gaming headphone that will also be acceptable for other uses. From what i can gather the senns are more comfortable and form-fitting but are significantly more expensive.

Sep 9, 2011 at 1:21 AM Post #67 of 80

Quote:
I dunno about the 598s being more comfortable than the AD700s, quite far from it.  They are the better fitting.  The 598s are definitely the ones to go for music though.

I guess that was what i was getting at, i don't own either so i guess i probably shouldn't share. (But i have to get to 15 posts somehow so i can sell something in the classifieds)

Sep 9, 2011 at 5:13 AM Post #69 of 80

Quote:
The ad900 isn't shrill even in the slightest (not even a microscopic amount). It is very pleasant and smooth with good soundstage. You are unique, just know that.  

Shrill, unbalanced, no bass...call it whatever you want. It's entirely not up to scratch. Airy to the extreme with no fullness or balance whatsoever. Which is why they are branded AIR I guess. For my ears, I couldn't cope 1 minute listening to them (I can hear top-end treble just fine...)

Fatiguing to the extreme.

Sep 9, 2011 at 9:45 AM Post #71 of 80
The Ad900 have enough bass to shake my head while listening to James Blake's "Limit To Your Love". What 99% of people who listen to the Ad900 once don't realize is that positioning makes a huge difference. Push your ears towards the back of the pads and the bass it much higher. Push them towards the front of the pads and there's no bass. Ad900 are somewhat bright, but they're quite possibly the most musical headphones I've ever heard with excellent bass.

There was a user who commented on a brand new pair of AKG K701 vs a pair that were used for years. They listened back and forth, switched pads, and realized that it was the pads that made the difference in sound. It's definitely that way with the Ad900, by default the Ad900 don't clamp much and the pads are stiff. You're not likely to get a good seal at all. Center your ears in the pads and push the Ad900 towards your ears and the bass is more than adequate. I'm more than willing to bet the response charts of the Ad900 would be vastly different with mine vs a new pair and the only difference is my pads aren't stiff anymore.

And at brooce, sorry to break it to you, but the DT770 Pros are far more boosted in the highs than the Ad900.

Sep 9, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #73 of 80

Quote:
I realize the AD700s are overrated but for $90 they do seem to be the best for the price.

Overrated? Hardly...misunderstood is the right word. People recommend them left and right for "gaming", however fail to point out that they're great for competitive multi-player gaming only. If you're priority above else is detail retrieval and positioning and you're willing to sacrifice the "immersive" experience, AD700s can't be beat for the price. If you're just a casual gamer that needs the bass for a good gaming experience, these shouldn't be recommended to you in the first place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back