ATH-A900's on the way... what's next and...
Oct 17, 2008 at 5:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

tspinning

New Head-Fier
Hey all-

Almost a "long time" lurker here- and I've finally pulled the trigger on a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-A900's from fellow Head-Fi member Faust2D [THANKS!]
so my question to you is...

How do you manage the wait while they ship?! I'm so excited to move up to a fuller sound stage and return bass to my listening experience that I don't know how well I'll be sleeping this weekend.

Oh... and one of my other pastimes, FPS PC Gaming is about to be brought up a notch too I imagine!

Now for the next "big thing" can any one recommend a good low cost (haha) amp for these? I've read mixed reviews of how necessary an amp is for these cans and my source is primarily my computer which doesn't have a sound card at the moment. Other source is iPod touch 1G, and Yamaha 5240 receiver fed by PS2, or (crappy) DVD player.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 17, 2008 at 9:57 PM Post #2 of 7
Waiting for my little dot I+ so i know what you talking about
biggrin.gif
. and im thinking of buying these phones too. Ill think the LD I+ will be perfect with these low impedance phones.and so little and cute(and cheap) im pretty new to this game so i can be wrong.But i think im right
beyersmile.png

I see you got grados too. Those are perfect match for the amp i mentiond from what i have been reading

Oct 18, 2008 at 12:39 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks Tom,
I'll read up a bit, I'm probably going to want these babies to really shine and the idea of tubey goodness excites me even more!

Did you order your from eBay, or a fellow Head-fi'r or something else entirely?

Oct 18, 2008 at 12:48 PM Post #4 of 7
You should listen to them first. My experience with the A900 was that an amp really didn't do much for them.

Oct 18, 2008 at 1:22 PM Post #5 of 7
I will definitely give them some time on their own as the wallet can't quite stomach two new additions to my sonic arsenal at this time!

I notice you sold a pair mere hours after I bought mine, seems like a quick moving market for these phones~ I hope that's a good thing!

::edit::
I appreciate your honesty and the advice to (gasp) hold back on an amp for a bit! It's sometimes a rarity in the quest for audio perfection around here
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 18, 2008 at 4:16 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by tspinning /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey all-

Almost a "long time" lurker here- and I've finally pulled the trigger on a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-A900's from fellow Head-Fi member Faust2D [THANKS!]
so my question to you is...

How do you manage the wait while they ship?! I'm so excited to move up to a fuller sound stage and return bass to my listening experience that I don't know how well I'll be sleeping this weekend.

Oh... and one of my other pastimes, FPS PC Gaming is about to be brought up a notch too I imagine!

Now for the next "big thing" can any one recommend a good low cost (haha) amp for these? I've read mixed reviews of how necessary an amp is for these cans and my source is primarily my computer which doesn't have a sound card at the moment. Other source is iPod touch 1G, and Yamaha 5240 receiver fed by PS2, or (crappy) DVD player.
smily_headphones1.gif

My ATH-A900 sound wonderful with my new iBasso D3 USB DAC amp, which can be your external sound card. It is very detailed and transparent, and does a good job controlling the bass and giving them a nice a wide soundstage.

The only thing is my A900 were modded by -=germania=- and have a silver plated copper cable and extensive internal dampening mods done, which brings them to a much higher level (and similar to my APS V2 cabled Denon D2000 but not quite better, although closer than I would have expected and much cheaper).

Oct 18, 2008 at 4:31 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by tspinning /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Tom,
I'll read up a bit, I'm probably going to want these babies to really shine and the idea of tubey goodness excites me even more!

Did you order your from eBay, or a fellow Head-fi'r or something else entirely?

Yes i was buing it from David at ebay.109$ + shipping(45$ to norway).He is very fast and answer your questions quick.
Have only read warm things about this little amp.So if you are going to buy a first amp this wont be wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back