ATH-A900 / X-fi. Which amp to go with?
Oct 26, 2008 at 10:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Morb

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I just ventured into the head-fi scene and so far i'm enjoying my new ATH-a900 headphones.
darthsmile.gif

(thinking that i've spent so many money on crap gaming headsets, bah)

I've connected my ath-a900 on my I/O front panel of my X-Fi card.
But, i'm wondering if it's worth it for me to connect a headphone amp to this headphone setup. Will i notice the difference?
If so, any suggestions to go with? Little Dot II, or any other types? Little dot MKV III, etc... ?

My main usage for this is music and gaming.

Rgds,

Kenny

Oct 28, 2008 at 12:22 AM Post #6 of 13
What about a little dot I+? great fun little amp if you want a amp to your phones.

Oct 28, 2008 at 5:22 AM Post #8 of 13
I would personally recommend a warm sounding solid state amp. I had a Meier HeadFive with A900s and it sounded pretty nice to me. A hybrid would probably also be good.

Tube amps in general don't seem to be a good fit power wise, although I have seen someone say they thought they were good for the A900s.

There's several amps that are "biased" towards low impedance headphones, I'd recommend checking them out. I think the Cute Beyond, Octavart O1 (there's a DAC and non-DAC version), the Little Dot I+, Eddie Current ECSS (maybe the Lunchbox as well), and some others that I forget or are difficult to come by now.

I would also consider checking around and see what DIY amp you might could get in that range (maybe see if someone is selling one or would build you one).

Oct 28, 2008 at 11:50 AM Post #9 of 13
I don't think i will be heading into the DAC direction as i heard this isn't really advised for gaming?

Atm i'm looking at the little dot mk III or the darkvoice 336i? Are both overkill and should i just go for the little dot I ?

Oct 28, 2008 at 1:20 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think i will be heading into the DAC direction as i heard this isn't really advised for gaming?

Atm i'm looking at the little dot mk III or the darkvoice 336i? Are both overkill and should i just go for the little dot I ?

Why?, do games have something against sound quality? Little-Dot 1+ will drive you ATs better because its a hybrid. Stick with a Hybrid or Solid State for a low impedance can like that.

Oct 28, 2008 at 1:28 PM Post #11 of 13
I'm not 100% sure, but some guys said that DAC's tent to do something with the soundstage.. which is important for gaming?

If this isn't the case... then ofcourse i would be interested in looking in to a DAC/AMP.. that's what you mean with hybrid's right?

rgds,

Kenny

Edit: My god! I'm loosing my mind
smily_headphones1.gif

You say i should better stick to a little dot I+ for these cans.. but what if i upgrade to other cans... then i will need to change my amp as well?? Why isn't it advisable to go for a LD mkv III or some other amp with these cans?

Once again.. sorry for the noobish questions

Oct 28, 2008 at 9:39 PM Post #12 of 13
Hybrids = Solid State + Tube amp in one (correct me if im wrong.) LD 1+ is that.
If you go for that i think you will be very happy.

And if you go with DV 336 you have plenty of power if you go with other phones in the future.

The soundcard you have should give you good enough sound.

Or maby you can try the Zero dac/amp. Very good reviews. Takes most of the phones and have a dac too.

Hope i didnt comfuse you more
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 28, 2008 at 11:18 PM Post #13 of 13
hmmm.. that Zero is indeed interesting
smily_headphones1.gif

As i found on some page here it states :

Normally, only the DAC section is in operation, with output going straight to the rear RCA jacks. If the Preamp button is pressed, the output goes through the amp/pre-amp section as well, controllable with the volume knob. If headphones are plugged in and the Preamp button is pressed, the ZERO becomes a headphone amplifier.

So it can only use 1 of the 2 at the same time? Only DAC or Amp?

tnx...
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back