ATH A900 pics [major 56k warning] and impressions to come
May 21, 2004 at 12:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

furiousgeorge

Head-Fier
well i headed off to the post office finally and got my headphones. first thing i did was take a ton of pictures for you nerds. theres 25 or so
eggosmile.gif
. ill post my impressions possibly early next week (i am busy all friday and weekend).

in chronological order:

3.jpg

8.jpg

13.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

edit: sorry folks, i got a warning email from photoblucket so im limiting the number of pics. wheres ipod studio when you need him...
tongue.gif

hope you enjoyed them!
i know i am!

May 21, 2004 at 12:45 AM Post #3 of 40
I'm glad you were finally able to get them. Now maybe after burn-in you can let your dad hear what you were ranting about..

Of course, he may not get it. My husband never gets it. "Yes, they sound like headphones." But he's just insane.
wink.gif

May 21, 2004 at 4:13 AM Post #6 of 40
Great to see you convinced you parents to let you get those, now let them burn in and tell us what you think of them..

May 21, 2004 at 7:01 AM Post #8 of 40
Glad I have high-speed connection..........Enjoy those A900's as they are superb. Give them a few days of constant use for burn-in and you'll be sooooo happy.

May 22, 2004 at 1:08 AM Post #10 of 40
heh...

anyway, first impressions are: wow.

i cant say they are miles ahead of my eggos in any respect. the thing is where there are improvements (bass, detail, soundstage), the benefits are huge. ive only burned in for maybe 15 hours so far so im gunna put them in a drawer tonight with a mix of all the different types of music i like. im hoping they improve even more. from the little burn in ive gotten i think there has been some improvements.

in comparison to the eggos: the sound is more...balenced. on my rio karma i had the eq set with the bass pumped and the treble toned down a bit. with the a900s, i just set the eq to off. i dont feel any need to tamper with the sound. the only thing that bothers me is i keep increasing the volume (to fairly loud levels sometimes) to try to "open up" the music a little more. i wouldnt call it a "veil" so to speak but more like the music "pops" or upshifts at a certain volume. i think this is something an amp could possible solve.

before i got them i figured i would wear them out in public on occasion. once opened the box, that idea disappeared. these things are ENORMOUS. its not the cup size so much as the two bars across the top that bother me. those things just stick out too far.

ill probably give enev further impressions when i break them in more and in the mean time im gunna try to figure out more audiophile terms to try to describe the sound.

edit: one other thing, i noticed some very very harsh treble on the very beginning of the track "Inertiatic ESP" by The Mars Volta on my PCDP but i think that was just because its a piece of crapola. in fact im listening to the track from my karma and there wasnt any distortion. that kind of renders this edit pointless but oh well.

May 22, 2004 at 1:15 AM Post #11 of 40
Make sure you burn them in with bassy music! When I first burned mine in, it was mostly classical/alt rock and such. I didn't really notice the lacking bass, until I threw some hip hop on later and though, "Wheres the bass?" I took them out and re-burned them in with bassy music--world of difference! This, coming from someone who previously didn't even believe in burn-in!

May 22, 2004 at 1:36 AM Post #12 of 40
Oh man, I'm getting these for my high school graduation. I CAN'T WAIT!!! I guess I'll leave them at home for a week burning while I go to the beach. But that will be so sad.

Man, how do they sound? they look so nice!

how well does your rio power them?

May 22, 2004 at 2:04 AM Post #13 of 40
You know? The artist of prodigy makes some really heavy, and at times, incessant bass sounds. Nice purchase man..
I saw my cousin's A900s, and they were Huge. He looked so funny walking around the house with those on... not to mention he couldn't hear anyone screaming at him.
biggrin.gif

Let the audiophilic bliss flow on!

May 22, 2004 at 2:59 AM Post #14 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by pnrgi
Oh man, I'm getting these for my high school graduation. I CAN'T WAIT!!! I guess I'll leave them at home for a week burning while I go to the beach. But that will be so sad.

Man, how do they sound? they look so nice!

how well does your rio power them?

the rio powers them quite nicely. the volume on the rio goes from 0-30 and with my eggos i ususally hover around 16-18. with the a900's im usually around 20.

May 22, 2004 at 3:06 AM Post #15 of 40
i'm kind of confused! from what i've heard previously, the a900s dont really need that much burn-in, because it doesnt really affect the sound all that much, but now you guys are saying they should get at least a few days burn in! if i were to burn mine in for a period of time, how long should i do it for?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back