ATH-A700 vs ATH-AD700 vs ATH-A900 vs ATH-AD900
Mar 20, 2007 at 3:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

stevodotorg

100+ Head-Fier
Odd post yes, I know this has been brought up before but I wanted some more opinions..

Is there a huge difference between the 900 series and the 700 series?

What AKG headphones could I maybe relate the 900's and the 700's to?

And then as far as the A vs AD (open / closed) .. I am no bass head, but music wise I mainly listen to rock and trance. I'm a casual gamer, but please take this as a grain of salt, between open and closed vs. a pair of crappy gaming headphones I am sure either one of these will do just well in that area. The open phones seem like they would be more pleasurable on the head comfort wise, But in the end do both have the same comfort level? Bass wise, I am not looking for my head to rumble but a nice little punch to the ear is always nice.

The best pair of headphones I have right now are my KSC-75's sadly, and the only amp I have is a LDM+

anyway hope to get some good opinions from everyone, thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 20, 2007 at 4:51 AM Post #2 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevodotorg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Odd post yes, I know this has been brought up before but I wanted some more opinions..

Is there a huge difference between the 900 series and the 700 series?

What AKG headphones could I maybe relate the 900's and the 700's to?

And then as far as the A vs AD (open / closed) .. I am no bass head, but music wise I mainly listen to rock and trance. I'm a casual gamer, but please take this as a grain of salt, between open and closed vs. a pair of crappy gaming headphones I am sure either one of these will do just well in that area. The open phones seem like they would be more pleasurable on the head comfort wise, But in the end do both have the same comfort level? Bass wise, I am not looking for my head to rumble but a nice little punch to the ear is always nice.

The best pair of headphones I have right now are my KSC-75's sadly, and the only amp I have is a LDM+

anyway hope to get some good opinions from everyone, thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

i think you should just go with the A700's. there is not that big of a difference between the a700 and a900 series. some people say there is, but i say save your money, it won't be worth it. as for the open ones, i was sent a pair of ad700's instead of a700's, and i prefer the a700's (which i returned later). they are both REALLY comfortable but the ad700's have velour which i liked a little better. you can't go wrong with either the a700 or the ad700's. ad700's offer what open cans offer which is soundstage and IMO better sound, and the a700's offer what closed cans offer which is isolation and better bass. all in all pick one of the 700's for what you need most. i would say to get the ad700's if isolation is not a problem. you'll love them, although i prefer the looks of the a700's
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 20, 2007 at 5:48 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think you should just go with the A700's. there is not that big of a difference between the a700 and a900 series. some people say there is, but i say save your money, it won't be worth it. as for the open ones, i was sent a pair of ad700's instead of a700's, and i prefer the a700's (which i returned later). they are both REALLY comfortable but the ad700's have velour which i liked a little better. you can't go wrong with either the a700 or the ad700's. ad700's offer what open cans offer which is soundstage and IMO better sound, and the a700's offer what closed cans offer which is isolation and better bass. all in all pick one of the 700's for what you need most. i would say to get the ad700's if isolation is not a problem. you'll love them, although i prefer the looks of the a700's
smily_headphones1.gif

so which headphones did you end up keeping exactly? You enjoyed the a700's but you liked the ad700's better?

anyone else?
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 20, 2007 at 5:51 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

so which headphones did you end up keeping exactly? You enjoyed the a700's but you liked the ad700's better?

anyone else?
smily_headphones1.gif

i didn't keep either
smily_headphones1.gif
. in my opinion these audiotechnicas aren't worth it unless you get up to the W5000's or something. If I were you and you like to listen to rock, I would go alessandro/grado. MS-1's are a great pair of cans. You can go hd580's if you really like a warm deep bassy sound. Open cans are generally better unless you want isolation.

Mar 20, 2007 at 6:16 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i didn't keep either
smily_headphones1.gif
. in my opinion these audiotechnicas aren't worth it unless you get up to the W5000's or something. If I were you and you like to listen to rock, I would go alessandro/grado. MS-1's are a great pair of cans. You can go hd580's if you really like a warm deep bassy sound. Open cans are generally better unless you want isolation.

Isolation from outside sounds?/Isolation from other people hearing the music? As far as grados and senn cans go, I really want to go with phones that are circumaural and have the AKG/AT Style headband that is oh so comfortable
smily_headphones1.gif

At the same time i'm not looking to drop $200 right now, well, maybe, but then I would get something like K601's, but at the same time I don't have the money to drop on something that is power hungry.

Like I said though, I love circumaural and I love the AKG/AT style headbands
eggosmile.gif

Mar 20, 2007 at 7:34 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Isolation from outside sounds?/Isolation from other people hearing the music? As far as grados and senn cans go, I really want to go with phones that are circumaural and have the AKG/AT Style headband that is oh so comfortable
smily_headphones1.gif

At the same time i'm not looking to drop $200 right now, well, maybe, but then I would get something like K601's, but at the same time I don't have the money to drop on something that is power hungry.

Like I said though, I love circumaural and I love the AKG/AT style headbands
eggosmile.gif

then get the a700's or ad700's

Oct 12, 2008 at 7:17 PM Post #7 of 14
BUMP on this old tread. I have desided to give Audio technica a chance to see if i like them. Im thinking of either the a700 or the a900. going to listen to electronica with them.mostly goatrance.my budget is 300$ so if there is another audio technica phone up to 300$ that fits my electronica better please tell. (i could steach to 340$ to the ad1000 if they are another leage?but nobodys got em so im not shure) thanx

Let me throw in a second question too if there are some grado people that read this. How would the ms2i be with psytrance?

Oct 12, 2008 at 7:31 PM Post #8 of 14
I see that the a700 max input is 500mW
and the a900 is 2000mW. what does that mean? can i play alot louder or does it take a bigger amp do drive the 900s???

Oct 13, 2008 at 9:41 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by HippieTom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see that the a700 max input is 500mW
and the a900 is 2000mW. what does that mean? can i play alot louder or does it take a bigger amp do drive the 900s???

If I'm not mistaken(which I very well could be), a higher max input would imply that there would be more of a potential benefit to be had with amplification on the A900.

Oct 13, 2008 at 10:23 PM Post #10 of 14
in reality, there's almost no difference between A700/A900 imo, both doesn't benefit from amping huge deal either.

AD1000 is closer to AD900 than AD2K imo, and I didn't think it was a very big step up from AD900 or AD700.

AD2000, on the other hand, is a completely different beast from other AD/A series. If you can spend the money for it, grab one - it won't disappoint.
wink.gif

Oct 14, 2008 at 3:06 AM Post #11 of 14
Thanks for the inputs.

Feb 16, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #13 of 14
GOING To be wanting to carry these around daily http://www.brenthaven.com/catalog-prostyle-bp-xf.html that is my bag that i use

i am going to compare these to http://salkaudio.com/soundscape%2012%20home.htm which is what i have at my house.

http://www.avahifi.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=70&Itemid=231 cant find the amp and dac listed but its by the same company.

also i am going to be hooking my can up to the system for comparison.

if there is any other brand feel free to throw them out there open to all suggestions.

also under$200.00

Feb 16, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #14 of 14

Users who are viewing this thread

Back