ATH-A700 or ATH-AD700? Which is right for me?
Jun 24, 2008 at 6:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

jupitersj

New Head-Fier
HI everyone!
smily_headphones1.gif

This will be my first set of "introductory hi-fi" headphones. I've never owned decent speakers(though I have extensively researched diy home theater previously...but the funds fell through
frown.gif
)

I am finishing up a new computer build and these headphones will be primarily used for gaming. I do listen to music but nowhere near as much as all of you! Once in a bluemoon I'll pop on some Pink Flyod/Grateful Dead/Jazz/Metallica/Classical but it was usually while raiding in EverQuest(gave up that 9 year "hobby" last year).

Now there is a clincher...I was looking at headphones instead of speakers because they isolate more and I do play at night...so I originally was set on the a700's. However they are 25% more expensive at places I can trust like AC and the marketplace sellers on amazon for these have poor reseller ratings(except adorama which I couldn't find doing a search here). This room is 12x9 and I will be the only person in said room gaming. There is a small guest room that shares a wall with mine across the other side from where I sit to game(shortwise, not longwise... picture the room as a rectangle). My tv(Sony KD-36XS955) is against that shared wall as are my wall mounted speakers(part of a garbage $200 receiver+speaker 5.1).

My mother sleeps in the guest room frequently and apparantly has dog hearing because she even hears the tv and/or speakers at night with my computer room door closed when I'm listening at low settings.

Suggestions? I'm hoping that even though the ad700's leak that they wouldn't leak so loud as to pass through the opposite wall/ or under door to that room enough to be heard. They are cheaper and easier to find at good prices through reputable dealers and seem like they would be more comfortable.

Also, how are clip-on mics with open air headphones? I was going to get a zalman clip-on but it's not like the boom type with the big foam covering like traditional headsets so I was wondering if the ath-ad700's sound will come out and affect the mic in games?

thank you,

jupitersj

Jun 24, 2008 at 7:58 PM Post #2 of 12
No advice on the headphones per se beyond I've really enjoyed the ATH-ESW9's I got recently, but Adorama is a very reliable vendor. They're one of the 2 really big NYC camera shops (B+H being the other) and I've ordered lots and lots of camera gear from them w/no issue.

i.e. I wouldn't hesitate to order these phones from Adorama, whatever you decide to do...

If you're overly concerned about any noise escaping, go closed, but given your conditions I wouldn't expect open to be an issue with a closed door. Whether it might give feedback to your mic though, I don't know...

Jun 24, 2008 at 9:08 PM Post #5 of 12
I own the AD700s and while they do leak (they are open-back) even with the headphones on the table, music playing through them at my usual listening volume, it's hard to hear them from a few feet away.

If you have any kind of fan or AC or your PC is really loud, then the leak of the AD700s would be totally drowned out.

Jun 24, 2008 at 9:56 PM Post #6 of 12
Thanks for all the advice. I've been reading conflicting reports on these two headphones as everyone says the opens have more soundstage with lighter bass...

but then I read posts where people say closed is better because it has better positional soundstage O.o so I get confused >.<

I have a feeling the ad700's will sound better because they are open. I'm just wondering bout those gamers out there on this forum who use them and use mic's in their games?

Everybody recommends the zalman clip-on mic but I hear it has terrible sound quality??
confused.gif

I'll listen for some more comments if anyone has something to chime in before I make my final
smily_headphones1.gif
decision

p.s. the headphone smiley is broken... it only shows a normal smiley
mad.gif

Jun 24, 2008 at 10:10 PM Post #7 of 12
I don't think you can go wrong with either, both are supposed to have great positional sound and soundstage, although I would assume that the open ad700's would be slightly better.

Basically you're going to hear conflicting reports about anything you read, everyone has different experiences. I haven't heard too many complaints about the zalman clip-on, so just get that if you need a mic.

And whichever 'phone you choose, it'll be great. Just decide if you want a bit more airy sound or a bit more bass impact.

Jun 24, 2008 at 10:15 PM Post #8 of 12
I own the AD700 and it has angled drivers so it has a wide, 3D sound stage which I've heard is good for gaming though I've never used it this way. All open phones leak sound but you need to be near the AD700 to hear it. Amazon sells the AD700 for $115 and has a generous return policy so you could try them and see if your mother hears it. Other Amazon merchants sell the A700 for $120 excluding shipping but I don't know what their exchange policies are.

Jun 24, 2008 at 10:58 PM Post #10 of 12
I went with the ad700's and the clip-on.. wish me luck
biggrin.gif

upgrading from athlon xp to:

e8400
dfi lp lt x38
corsair tx750
cosmos s
2x2gb g.skill ddr2-1000
true w/noctua 9 blade
xfx 9800gtx black edition
wd 6400aks

gonna be a kickass system
eek.gif

Jun 25, 2008 at 11:35 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by jupitersj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

e8400
dfi lp lt x38
corsair tx750
cosmos s
2x2gb g.skill ddr2-1000
true w/noctua 9 blade
wd 6400aks

eek.gif

Enjoy.

The AD700s are a fine all-round headphone. No, the bass won't be as strong as the A700s, but the balance of the spectrum will be better. And if you Mother can hear them in the next room with the door closed, then she needs ear plugs - as the sound leaking from the AD700s is very soft indeed (i use them to watch TV in my bedroom with my wife asleep in the bed and they bother her not at all).

For an in-depth look at the AD700s click here:

SoundStage! All In Your Head

Jun 25, 2008 at 11:38 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by jupitersj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

e8400
dfi lp lt x38
corsair tx750
cosmos s
2x2gb g.skill ddr2-1000
true w/noctua 9 blade
wd 6400aks

eek.gif

Enjoy.

The AD700s are a fine all-round headphone. No, the bass won't be as strong as the A700s, but the balance of the spectrum will be better. And if you Mother can hear them in the next room with the door closed, then she needs ear plugs - as the sound leaking from the AD700s is very soft indeed (i use them to watch TV in my bedroom with my wife asleep in the bed and they bother her not at all).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back