ATH-A500s have arrived - Opinions from a newbie :)
Mar 9, 2004 at 3:09 AM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by lindrone
Line out makes a pretty significant difference in the sound quality. Reason being, the line-out is a pure signal coming out from the iPod without any amp in place. All headphone outs has some sort of an "amp" circuitry behind them to drive the headphones, even though this amp is nowhere near the quality of an external headphone amp, without it the headphone out just wouldn't function.

The line-out of the iPod by-passes this completely, similiar to RCA outputs you would get from the back of any other conventional player. So it allows a pure signal to be passed through, no amp is processing the sound. It allows your amp to perform whatever it needs with a pure signal, rather than an already processed signal.

You should definitely try it out.

DOH! Haha I sold my Dock as soon as I got my iPod to offset it's insane cost and b/c w/ my 15GB one I *never* touched the Dock. Ah well, I'll never use the iPod as my source w/ my amp after today, it'll either be my Pioneer or my computer
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 9, 2004 at 3:23 AM Post #17 of 25
You'd be surprised at the output quality of the iPod, actually. A lot of people complain about the flatness out iPod's output when they use it in a portable situation. Ironically the "flatness" of iPod's output makes it almost perfect for audiophile listening, where the output is flat, fluid and musical, then the amp and headphone gets to perform its magic on them.

That's why I enjoy my Shure E5c directly out of my iPod so much, if I had a Zen Xtra or something, the bass would've been boosted out of balance. (Of course, a good portable amp with the iPod is even better, but that's also because really good amps gives you a nice balance of the sound, not just boosting certain frequency ranges)

iPod's output quality is almost like my CE775 before it was modified, in fact, it was actually much warmer and fuller than the CE775, with slightly less detail. I can use my CD3000 directly out of the iPod and get decent sound, meanwhile using it with my CE775's output was thin and nasty. This is alongside an Emmeline HR-2! CE775 is another one of these "budget" players that's supposed to yield good quality... Of course, the main attraction is that you can modify it to much higher levels.

I know the Pioneer you're getting has been highly tauted as a very economical beginner source. It is supposed to be very good for its money. However, I would not throw out the possibility that your iPod's line-out might sound almost as good as the Pioneer. Especially if you use WAV files on the iPod to compare to the CD on the Pioneer.

Mar 9, 2004 at 2:52 PM Post #19 of 25
Thanks a lot for the advice lindrone, that was most helpful...I'll do some comparisons once my source arrives (today! yay!) and I can't wait to try an SACD in it
wink.gif

As for the comparison, I read a few...try the "Search" button and type "a900 a500" in there
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 9, 2004 at 2:55 PM Post #20 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by lindrone
You'd be surprised at the output quality of the iPod, actually. A lot of people complain about the flatness out iPod's output when they use it in a portable situation. Ironically the "flatness" of iPod's output makes it almost perfect for audiophile listening, where the output is flat, fluid and musical, then the amp and headphone gets to perform its magic on them.

That's why I enjoy my Shure E5c directly out of my iPod so much, if I had a Zen Xtra or something, the bass would've been boosted out of balance. (Of course, a good portable amp with the iPod is even better, but that's also because really good amps gives you a nice balance of the sound, not just boosting certain frequency ranges)

iPod's output quality is almost like my CE775 before it was modified, in fact, it was actually much warmer and fuller than the CE775, with slightly less detail. I can use my CD3000 directly out of the iPod and get decent sound, meanwhile using it with my CE775's output was thin and nasty. This is alongside an Emmeline HR-2! CE775 is another one of these "budget" players that's supposed to yield good quality... Of course, the main attraction is that you can modify it to much higher levels.

I know the Pioneer you're getting has been highly tauted as a very economical beginner source. It is supposed to be very good for its money. However, I would not throw out the possibility that your iPod's line-out might sound almost as good as the Pioneer. Especially if you use WAV files on the iPod to compare to the CD on the Pioneer.

I agree, the ipod headphone out sounds great with my A900s. Although with my E3's it sounds kind of flat. This is probably due to the extreme detail in the E3.. Ipod + A900 is exremely musical and sounds like the best thing I have ever heard.

I use 256-320Kbps encoded files.

by the way, I dont know what the exact difference is between the A900 and the A500. I doubt its as big as, say, the E3 to E5.
If you have the extra $100 to spend, get the A900, you wont regret it. If you are on a tight budget, get the A500, and forget about The A900. Ignorance is bliss, so they say!
wink.gif

Mar 9, 2004 at 3:00 PM Post #21 of 25
on a complete side note in responce to blux:
is "ignorance in fact bliss" and if so have you found that telling yourself this maxim really creates contenment within you.
i'm not challenging i am just asking philisophically.

Mar 9, 2004 at 3:11 PM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by Scholarlymonk
on a complete side note in responce to blux:
is "ignorance in fact bliss" and if so have you found that telling yourself this maxim really creates contenment within you.
i'm not challenging i am just asking philisophically.

Heh, well although this isn't my Q, I wanna say...

It's a fact that if the A500s are the best phones you've ever heard, then you will fully believe they are the best phones you've ever heard. Until you hear the CD3000s or something. Then you'll think differently, but until then, they're AWESOME to you. But "ignorance is bliss" can only go so far, because the human desire to acquire "bigger & better" is always there; it's impossible to truly satisfy. The yearning for a more expensive pair will surely come when someone hears how good even the A500s sound...they'll think "Man, if these sound this good, I can only imagine what the *insert expensive pair here* sounds like!" Or maybe I'm wrong, hehe
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 9, 2004 at 3:23 PM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by SouthPaW1227
Heh, well although this isn't my Q, I wanna say...

It's a fact that if the A500s are the best phones you've ever heard, then you will fully believe they are the best phones you've ever heard. Until you hear the CD3000s or something. Then you'll think differently, but until then, they're AWESOME to you. But "ignorance is bliss" can only go so far, because the human desire to acquire "bigger & better" is always there; it's impossible to truly satisfy. The yearning for a more expensive pair will surely come when someone hears how good even the A500s sound...they'll think "Man, if these sound this good, I can only imagine what the *insert expensive pair here* sounds like!" Or maybe I'm wrong, hehe
smily_headphones1.gif

Thats why I bought the A900.. haha

I like them a lot... I know there is better out there, but I dont have the money to waste. So I guess ignorance is not bliss. But knowing that there is better and living with it, is the point I was trying to get accross.

You can't have everything that you want. Its just not possible, for me anyway...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back