At What Point Does a Selection of Headphones Become a Collection?
Dec 14, 2015 at 2:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

paradoxology

100+ Head-Fier
This topic may already have been discussed, but I am curious to know if anyone has given any thought to location of the line in the sand at which one's precious selection of carefully chosen headphones becomes a collection of headphones that covers a broader and deeper range of styles and types. The very definition of selection and collection is up for discussion, in fact. The point is to find out if we can even make a meaningful distinction between the two terms and then determine the point at which one becomes the other. The corollary to this question is, of course, at what point does a interest in headphones become an obsession but that is a topic for discussion at another time.

Dec 14, 2015 at 3:16 AM Post #2 of 17
I'd say at about 5 pairs.........I have over 40 pairs, had over 60 pairs a month ago, but gave away a bunch, had over 100 pair in February. 

Dec 14, 2015 at 6:24 AM Post #5 of 17
+1 I like to think it's 3 since that's how many I have, and they all feel like a happy little family, but the Shure SRH-840 always fights with the Bang & Olufsen H6, I had to break it up again tonight :xf_eek:

Dec 14, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #6 of 17
When you have more than 1 open back, 1 closed back and 1 in ear, it's a collection...that's my opinion. My wifes opinion would be when you have more than 1 pair, period.

I suppose the next question would be "when does a collection become a sickness"?

Dec 14, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #7 of 17
When you have a bunch of headphones that are similar, it is a collection. I have a collection of affordable headphones that are considered to be a bargain in the pricerange (below $60).

I'd like to own stax sr-009 (e-stat), hifiman he1000/abyss/lcd-4(ortho) and hd800 v2 (dynamic) For me that makes 3 different headphones with different technologies, not a collection...just a variety of headphones.

Also closed e-stat(can't think of any), lcd-xc(ortho),  r10 (dynamic.

That would make 6 headphones, with three different driver techniques with open and closed variants. Not a collection imo.

Portables, iems, buds.. I think one could easily own 15 headphones and it is not a collection.  :)

I suppose the next question would be "when does a collection become a sickness"?

When you run out of money. Until then it is just a hobby :) Or when it becomes a hoarding kind of thing.

Dec 14, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #8 of 17
  When you have more than 1 open back, 1 closed back and 1 in ear, it's a collection...that's my opinion.

When you have a bunch of headphones that are similar, it is a collection.

What a subjective point of discussion. Personally, it's a combination of what you two said. Between a complimentary open and closed set I feel you can cover most to all bases satisfactorily. The IEM is just for variety/balance. So about 3 total. If you "upgrade" any one of the three, you try to get rid of the usurped one. Past that it seems more like a collection to me. IMHO, if you even own more than one pair of headphones, count your self very lucky and Blessed.
beerchug.gif
That's a lot of folks on Head-Fi. But overall, "Everything in Moderation" is an important life saying to always keep in mind.

Dec 14, 2015 at 7:42 PM Post #10 of 17
  When you have more than 1 open back, 1 closed back and 1 in ear, it's a collection...that's my opinion.

I would agree with this. There's sufficient differences and advantages/disadvantages to each kind of headphone that I think it's reasonable to own one of each type without calling it a "collection". Once you get into multiples of each type, then it's a collection.

Dec 14, 2015 at 9:59 PM Post #11 of 17
What's a collection?  If you think of a collection as a set (in the mathematical sense), then it's possible to have a collection of 5 headphones or a collection of 10 headphones.  It's also possible to have a collection of 0 headphones (null set) or a collection of 1 headphone (it's still a collection, just not a large one).  However, if you think of a collection from the collecting things point of view, the question shifts, are you collecting them?  If not, you don't have a collection, even if you have 100 pairs (though some might argue you're collecting at that point).  If you are, even if you are just starting with 1, it's a collection.  Not a large one, but a collection none the less (a collection in the making).  

Dec 15, 2015 at 3:49 AM Post #12 of 17
  What's a collection?  If you think of a collection as a set (in the mathematical sense), then it's possible to have a collection of 5 headphones or a collection of 10 headphones.  It's also possible to have a collection of 0 headphones (null set) or a collection of 1 headphone (it's still a collection, just not a large one).  However, if you think of a collection from the collecting things point of view, the question shifts, are you collecting them?  If not, you don't have a collection, even if you have 100 pairs (though some might argue you're collecting at that point).  If you are, even if you are just starting with 1, it's a collection.  Not a large one, but a collection none the less (a collection in the making).  

I think the (currently) agreed upon number of 3 works best because almost every headphone can do more than just one genre and you can satisfy a few different voicing tastes with 3 as easily as 7; after that your just chasing slight variations. A lot of arguments are really there to satisfy significant others :D

Dec 15, 2015 at 7:47 AM Post #13 of 17
I think if you own 3 or more headphones then it becomes a collection. I currently own 5 but in total have had 11. I think all you need in this hobby is 1 of each type ( 1 closed-back, 1 open-back and 1 on-ear). After that, it is just collecting imo.

Dec 15, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #14 of 17

Sorry about quoting myself but I wanted to explain that this was intended to be somewhat humorous. I should have put a smiley at the end. I hope no one was offended.
I myself have had so many speakers at one time my den looked like the Grateful Dead's wall of sound.

Dec 15, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #15 of 17
A similar, if not equivalent, question would be one of the Collector vs. the User. I have two headphones (well, amongst others) that sound similar and make sound similarly, and I use both. At this point, I would not buy a headphone primarily to possess that headphone for its historic or aesthetic value.

So, a selection would be any number as long as they are all primarily for use, and a collection would include pieces which were primarily there for some other reason than use.   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back