1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

At what age can I get a custom IEM?

1. daniel521
    I'm just turned 17, and I'm a bit worried that if I get a CIEM, mh ears will continue to grow, and therefore I will no longer be able to use it. Does anyone know at what age your ears stop growing so that I could get my first custom in-ear monitor?

2. kenman345
    Your ears are constantly growing/changing through life. I would say you should wait till around 20 or so, that is when the rest of your body will likely have slowed/stopped growing so much. I got mine as a 21st birthday present to myself and I love them but indeed my ears have changed a lot from my original impressions due to a lot of weight loss soon after. They still fit nice and snug but if I got new CIEMs the impressions would look drastically different on the inner ear section. These are some of the thing you need to be aware of when you decide at a young age to get monitors. 

I recommend custom sleeves for your IEM's now so that you save some money and still get a lot of the advantages you were looking for.

Other options include CIEM's with soft canals or what my CIEMs have which is hyper-coating on the tips that get more snug when they are inserted.