AT support "wings" washable?
Apr 14, 2004 at 5:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

GanChan

500+ Head-Fier
I'm about to buy an AT-A500, and I'm curious about questions of basic maintenance, i.e., keeping them clean. Obviously the pleather pads won't require more than the occasional wiping off, but what about the velour head support pads? I mean, I wash my hair regularly, but let's face it, oil happens, and over years of use, well...

So is there anything you AT oweners do to keep the wings clean? Or is it just a non-issue?

Apr 14, 2004 at 5:48 PM Post #3 of 21
You misunderstood the question. He's asking about cleaning the 2 triangle support pads on top of AT cans. These are glued on from what I can tell (I'm not gonna rip them off just to show an example).

a900_3d.gif

I guess you could use alcohol wipes or high concentration propronyl alcohol to clean them. Because I also put the hood of my sweats over my head before I put the giant cans on, thus I don't really have to clean the cans after use. I'm quite oily, so if I forget to put the hood on, the pads gets a wax.

Apr 14, 2004 at 6:13 PM Post #4 of 21
I think they are made of velour. So maybe I could apply a spot-cleaner for delicate fabrics or something like that.

Alcohol evaporates quickly, which is a good thing. Hopefully it wouldn't be hard on the pads.

Apr 14, 2004 at 6:22 PM Post #5 of 21
They are not velour and they are pretty tricky to wash. What I tend to do is to occasionally dab a sponge which is steeped antiseptic/barbicidal solution and leave it to dry.

Apr 14, 2004 at 6:51 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by bangraman
They are not velour and they are pretty tricky to wash. What I tend to do is to occasionally dab a sponge which is steeped antiseptic/barbicidal solution and leave it to dry.

Can you tell what kind of material it is? Or is it one of those inexplicable Japanese mysteries....

Apr 14, 2004 at 7:41 PM Post #7 of 21
From the looks of them, you could buy the larger 'foamies' - the kind that would fit portapros, and slip them over the wings to make a cover. Then you could wash, or throw away the foamies when they got dirty.

I'll check to see if that would work when I get home tonight.

Carol

Apr 14, 2004 at 9:07 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Tolovana
From the looks of them, you could buy the larger 'foamies' - the kind that would fit portapros, and slip them over the wings to make a cover. Then you could wash, or throw away the foamies when they got dirty.

I'll check to see if that would work when I get home tonight.

Carol

And if that doesn't work, I can always wear a dishcloth or something on my head.
smily_headphones1.gif

A500 + dishcloth = photo op.
600smile.gif

Apr 14, 2004 at 11:57 PM Post #9 of 21
The 3D-Wings can be removed...you just snap them off...you can take the "inner" thing too...it snaps off. I guess you could take the inside out, but I haven't tried that...

p.s. the pad cover is made of the same material as those water-balls for in the pool...lol
tongue.gif

NEW!!...I just took out the inside and they appear to be bicycle-helmet style pads...lol, but they are.

I'm not adventurous enough to try to take off the smooth part (gelly feeling thingy...), but it's probably glued on, so I don't suggest tossing it in the washer.

edit: I just accidentally popped out the silky-type gel thingie...and there's a metal or something thing that holds them in, so you can take them out
biggrin.gif

Apr 15, 2004 at 3:12 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Andrew_WOT
biggrin.gif

That 's a good one. LOL

Well, phrases like "accidentally popped out" make me nervous. I don't want anyone to damage their phones on my account....

Apr 15, 2004 at 5:44 PM Post #13 of 21
i just tried with my w1000 and
a)i don't think 3d wing itself should be snapped out. too scary.
b)pad can be removed. it's cotton jersey type cloth wrapping some form, heat glued to thin plastic panel.

2dab.jpg

showing backside of the pad

you just have to pull it out and snap it back in. just go easy when you wash it.

Apr 15, 2004 at 7:56 PM Post #14 of 21
I 'popped' them out of my 900's last night - and they're exactly as described above. (and the went right back in)

Personally, I'd put a little Dawn (cause it's so good at cutting grease, and is otherwise non-damaging) in a small bowl of warm water, put the pads in, squeeze them a few times to get them full, and leave them set for a few minutes. Then I'd just do the same, without the dawn, to rinse them out. I don't think I'd put them in the wash with everything else.

A normal foamie ear phone cover is too small to cover the wings.

Maybe someone should design some fashion "wing-booties" to go over them.
evil_smiley.gif

Carol

Apr 15, 2004 at 8:11 PM Post #15 of 21
you would think audio-technica would make replacement wing support pads... all of mine seem to come off (I took it off the L3000, but the other ones seem harder to be secured more tightly). I'll try contacting audio-technica when I am there in the summer about this and if they have replacements. after a few washes they would surely become worn out....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back