AT-LP 120 USB not enough volume.
Jan 31, 2017 at 8:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

buke9

Headphoneus Supremus
Watercooler Travel Team
Help and Recommendation Contributor
I have the for mentioned TT and at max volume of my setup Denon AVR-3310CI it is not that loud. I even hooked it up straight from the TT to my Adcom GFA 555 thru a Schiit Sys to regulate the volume and still not that loud. It has a internal preamp but doesn't get that loud. I tried a old Akia and the same from my receiver. Do I need a phono pre amp to get it to play as loud as my CD player or did I buy the wrong TT? I'm not heavily invested in vinyl but I have some stuff that I would like to hear.

Feb 6, 2017 at 9:42 AM Post #2 of 4
How do you have the TT connected to the Denon (i.e. what input are you plugging the cables from the TT into)? Also, how do you have the pre-amp selector switch set on the back of the TT (next to the USB port)? I would suggest setting it to "LINE" if you haven't done so already- this will set the TT to output a much stronger signal. Looking at the specs quickly, the Denon's rated output when using the PHONO IN jacks is pretty low. I can't recall exactly, but if you set the pre-amp selector on the TT to LINE, then try using an AUX input on the Denon.

Most CD players will output a 2V line-level signal, and the line-level signal from the TT set to "LINE" will be 150mV (even lower if it is set to "PHONO"), so you will definitely need a higher volume on the Denon or any other gear to reach a similar level.

Feb 6, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #3 of 4
There is no difference between phono with pre amp off and pre amp on thru aux . Pre amp on in phono is very distorted ( had to give it a try ).

Feb 12, 2017 at 2:26 AM Post #4 of 4
I yanked the on board preamp out of my at lp120 and am using it with the Klipsch powered bookshelves with a preamp built on to them. Prior to this bit of surgery the sound was thin, sharp, coarse with a high noise floor with very little volume. Despite switching the on board stage off and on I was never able to get decent sound out of it. Pure garbage. Now, through what is probably a very low grade digital phono stage the sound is much fuller with more texture and life. The noise floor fell out. The mod isn't for the faint of heart but there's plenty of videos on how it's done. I got it done for the price of el zero. I reused the stock rca outs and had some wire and spade connectors from which to fasten a ground wire. The lp120 is a great starter deck with a pretty good cartridge and a dead steady platter speed with a decent sound as long as you're willing to throw some time and effort at it. It's durable and forgiving but does have some drawbacks. It's not my main rig; it's in the kitchen for music while I cook and consume meals/beers/morning coffee. Bare in mind once to decide to crack it open and convert it you're on your own. Warranty is gone and even unplugged there's probably a risk of catching a bit of a shock. I don't regret either the purchase of mine or the conversion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back