At last true Hi-Fi sound from your PC! Bring on... Tubes???
Aug 28, 2001 at 8:21 PM Post #17 of 25
I'll try to summarize the info on the Wheatfield USB-DAC/amp. It's a very small device which plugs into your desktop or laptop USB port. The small box contains a DAC and an amp (duh), with a 1/4" jack on the end. It will retail for around $200.

I don't really think that the Wheatfield USB-DAC (I think its codename is the USB-1 right now) will be able to compete with this 12dax7. The Wheatfield is a very small unit using transistor amplification and probably one DAC chip. It's meant more as a solution for travelers, while Ron Sutherland's product is meant for a stationary system.

Aug 28, 2001 at 8:45 PM Post #18 of 25
DanG,

I assume the Wheatfield will be bus powered? Ie by the +5v,-5v rails?

Ron's unit is definitely a mains unit, it won't be portable whatsoever. If the Wheatfield is portable it could be quite interesting...

Aug 28, 2001 at 11:45 PM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

I assume the Wheatfield will be bus powered? Ie by the +5v,-5v rails?

Yes , but also has provisions for an external power supply.I auditioned this device at the HE01 show in NY earlier this year and I was impressed , compact,well put together and the sound was very smooth.This baby ever gets to market and it should be a winner.Perfect solution for the laptop user with DVD or CD

Rick

Aug 29, 2001 at 12:10 AM Post #20 of 25
I have some xp with usb and the more bandwidth is needed the more cpu time it eats up...when ur using its full potential ur cpu load will b close to 100%. I only put low bandwidth devices like mouse and keyboard on the usb port.

Just a thought...have u tried scanning a high res pic and transmitting it from the scanner to the computer or have a usb nic and use it to its full potential and look at the cpu load?

My guess is u need a fairly beefy cpu to run this thing when ur using most of the usb's bandwidth.

I think firewire would have been a better choice.

Since it costs about 3 gran aussie it better be better than a Live
biggrin.gif

When I 1st got my Live I thought it was the best sounding thing till I heard my bro's system:

marantz cd63ki cdp
rega brio amp
tdl speakers

Aug 29, 2001 at 1:03 AM Post #21 of 25
I guess I miss the point about this product.

Take an ART DIO card ($150) from your computer and connect it via a digital out Toslink cable to an external DAC such as a MSB Link DAC III ($399), then connect this to whatever headphone amp of your choice (a Corda HA-1 for example - $300) and you will get very good sound and a few sawbucks leftover to boot. You get all of this for $800 vs. $1500 for this preamp, including a good headphone output.

Or instead of a Corda, hook up to a real good preamp, such as a Bottlehead Paraflow (with mods - still $300) - and great tube sound too. True, no headphone output, but still a comparable setup.

I guess I just don't get it. Plus, in order to use this device, I would have to keep my computer and sound system beside each other. With my option, it is cheap enough to have a seperate sound system.

Finally, I concur with an earlier comment - a $1500 preamp to listen mostly to MP3's? I guess you can hook up your computer to an Audio Note Oganku amp ($75K) and use the same argument too, that it makes MP3's sound better.

Aug 29, 2001 at 1:11 AM Post #22 of 25
Number9, I'll have to correct you...

The Art DI/O is itself a DAC, and many say it is awesome, better than the MSB Link DACs...

You'd need some sound card to output to the DAC, like an Audiophile 24/96 ($150).

So there you go, an excellent source for $300 that can put some multi-thousand dollar systems to shame.

Aug 29, 2001 at 7:19 AM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

I think firewire would have been a better choice.

In terms of bandwidth, definitely. FireWire is superior to USB in every way. The problem is that while there is a USB audio standard, there isn't a FireWire audio standard
wink.gif

Quote:

My guess is u need a fairly beefy cpu to run this thing when ur using most of the usb's bandwidth.

Probably. That's the problem with USB -- very poor traffic management, and too much dependence on the CPU. I really wish USB wasn't becoming a popular path for digital audio. It simply can't handle the traffic.

Aug 29, 2001 at 8:02 AM Post #24 of 25
Chych, who has said that the Art DI/O is better than the MSB Link DAC III? I've only seen one comparison, and that was at modwright.com -- and they claim that the MSB is better than the Art DI/O. I just don't see how the Art DI/O can be as good -- it is very inexpensive and even has a built-in ADC which uses its sole tube. How can it possibly be better than the MSB? If it uses high-quality parts, it simply would not be profitable for the price.

Aug 29, 2001 at 4:48 PM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

DanG said...

Chych, who has said that the Art DI/O is better than the MSB Link DAC III? I've only seen one comparison, and that was at modwright.com -- and they claim that the MSB is better than the Art DI/O. I just don't see how the Art DI/O can be as good -- it is very inexpensive and even has a built-in ADC which uses its sole tube. How can it possibly be better than the MSB? If it uses high-quality parts, it simply would not be profitable for the price.

I have seen several reviews stating the Art DI/O outperforms the MSB. Which is really tempting me to buy one, just to do a direct comparison for myself. Anyway, you can find these reviews at both AudioAsylum and Harmonic Discord. Some of the questions you asked are also discussed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back