AT Clip-on Headphones
Mar 5, 2006 at 3:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

boead

100+ Head-Fier
AT Clip-on Headphones

What’s the general opinion on these earphones?

I have the KOSS 75’s and think they are great sounding. They are certainly incredible for the low cost.

These audio-technica earphones are really beautiful but how do they sound?
How do they feel on your ears?

ATH-EM7 GM, Aluminum Clip-on Headphones
ath_em7_gm.jpg

At 109 dB/mW at 1 kHz, 32 ohms they appear to be very efficient.

ATH-EM9r, Aluminum Clip-on Headphones
ath_em9r.jpg

At 102 dB/mW at 1 kHz, 29 ohms they appear to be efficient but less so then the above.

ATH-EW9, Wooden Clip-on Headphones
ath_ew9.jpg

At 105 dB/mW at 1 kHz, 29 ohms they appear to also be efficient.
How does the wood cups compare to the aluminum?

Then what about these?
ATH-EC7 GM, Ear-bud/clip-on Hybrid Headphones
ath_ec7.jpg

At 100 dB/mW at 1 kHz, 16 ohms they appear to also be efficient.

ATH-CM7Ti, Titanium Ear-bud Headphones
ath_cm7ti_2.jpg

ATH-CM7 SV, Aluminum Ear-bud Headphones
ath_cm7_sv.jpg

I’ve never seen anyone with these nor do I know anyone that has ever heard of them no less have them. I’d love to know what people think of them. The specs sure seem impressive.

http://www.audio-technica.com/cgi-bi.../headphones.pl

Mar 5, 2006 at 3:15 AM Post #2 of 9
A lot of people have these, especially the CM7s in fact I think there was a pretty extensive thread about them last week, but the CM7s sound really nice, the mids are somewhat rolled off but the highs are extremely clear and the bass resposne with foamies is unbelievable however, they do require an extensive amount of burn in 'til they reach their full potential I would reccomend at least 100 or so before you can judge them, they are a bit uncomfortable if you don't use foamies though as the lip cuts in to your ear. As for the clip-ons idk I've never really been a fan of them, I listened briefly to the EW9s and frankly wasn't impressed, it was only for a few minutes though with the music the store had so maybe it was an unfair review?

Mar 5, 2006 at 5:41 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889
they are a bit uncomfortable if you don't use foamies though as the lip cuts in to your ear. As for the clip-ons idk I've never really been a fan of them, I listened briefly to the EW9s and frankly wasn't impressed, it was only for a few minutes though with the music the store had so maybe it was an unfair review?

foamies?

How would you describe the differences? How’s the bass on the CM7's? Aluminum and Titanium?

Mar 5, 2006 at 5:55 AM Post #5 of 9
Foamies are the foam pads that come with earphones, I stole the ones that came with my old Creatives and stuck 'em on the CM7s and it made a big difference, they're of course not too be confused with the foamies that are used with iems. The bass without them is pretty lacking since I couldn't really get a good seal, but with them I think they probably rival my HD650s. The titanium ones and aluminum ones sound the same, as for the EW9s, idk I tried them out back in October when I went to Japan and all I can remember was that they looked good, they didn't really leave any lasting impressions on me.

Mar 5, 2006 at 9:04 AM Post #6 of 9
I've heard the EW9, EC7 and CM7Ti.

The clip-on EW9 sounded good if I pressed them against my ears with my hands. When they were just hanging on my ears, they sounded thin and didn't have much bass. I think they are fit-dependent and will sound different to people with different sized and shaped ears. The clip spring's tension wasn't strong enough for my ears, and they always felt as if they were slipping off.

The EC7 sounds similar to the CM7Ti, and I chose the EC7 based on comfort. It also felt a bit lighter than the CM7Ti. IIRC, the CM7Ti had a thicker translucent plastic piece surrounding the metal earbuds, and people with larger-sized ear canal openings might get a better fit with the CM7Ti. Both earbuds sound fuller with more bass if pressed into your ear canals and I also think they are fit-dependent to a lesser extent than the EW9. Fit and comfort can be adjusted slightly with different types of foamies with varying thicknesses and material.

Mar 5, 2006 at 9:54 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889
Foamies are the foam pads that come with earphones, I stole the ones that came with my old Creatives and stuck 'em on the CM7s and it made a big difference, they're of course not too be confused with the foamies that are used with iems. The bass without them is pretty lacking since I couldn't really get a good seal, but with them I think they probably rival my HD650s. The titanium ones and aluminum ones sound the same, as for the EW9s, idk I tried them out back in October when I went to Japan and all I can remember was that they looked good, they didn't really leave any lasting impressions on me.

Are you saying that the ATH-CM7 earbuds sound comparable to the Sennheiser HD650's??
eek.gif

Mar 5, 2006 at 4:16 PM Post #8 of 9
Thanks guys, much appreciated responses.

Very mixed opinion on the EW9 woodies! Some love them and some hate them. I mean comments that they are the worst headphone ever heard to I absolutely love them. Gee, why such differences in opinion? Maybe like Elephas said, they need to fit your ears properly. So is the disconcert for them based on user error?

The sheer lack of bass make me uncomfortable with trying them. I like a rich bass and fatigue easily with too much treble or a pronounced midrange. The popular PX100 is not in my favor, neither are Grados. I just don’t care for the sound. I like the HD-25’s, I LOVE the HD-600’s and AKG 701’s and of course the KSC 75’s.

So I can assume of the clip-on’s, the woodies sound the best, in that they have more bass and are fuller after a grueling break-in period.

Also the earbuds appear to actually have a fuller sound then the clip-on’s with the proper fommie modification?

Skyline889’s comment that the CM7 bud has as much bass as an HD-650 is a strong statement, I’ve listened to the 650’s and own the 600’s and they have lots of bass, more so then most. If that’s true then these earbuds should be a winner.

What about the Hybrid model earbud with the earclip? IS there an advantage to the fit? It appears to have the same driver as the CM7.

Mar 5, 2006 at 4:21 PM Post #9 of 9
I should've pointed out in my previous post that I had the EC7. Yes they are extremely comfortable. Even with my glasses the hook thing doesn't bother me at all and it's amazing how much soundstage they have, IMHO. They are extremely light weight, although putting them away is a sort of hassle because of the hooks and they look fragile. They came with a bag but it's pretty useless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back