AT A500 opinions
Mar 14, 2006 at 6:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

elec999

New Head-Fier
I am wanting to get these headphones. Can you guys give me your opinions on them. I am sure you guys allready know the specs on these, but here they are
# Specifications
# Type: Closed Dynamic
# Driver Unit: 53mm, CCAW voice coil
# Magnet: Neodymium
# Frequency response: 5-30,000 Hz
# Impedence: 64Ω
# Max. Input Power: 500mW
# Sensitivity: 100dB
# Plug: Gold-plating stereo mini plug
# Cord length: 3.0m (Wrapping / OFC)
# Net weight (without cord): 290g
Thanks

Mar 14, 2006 at 6:38 AM Post #2 of 8
its a great closed headphone for gaming and a good all rounder, easy to drive and pretty comfortable... it does have a recessed mid-range though...

Mar 14, 2006 at 12:00 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by )v(ajin_R_
its a great closed headphone for gaming and a good all rounder, easy to drive and pretty comfortable... it does have a recessed mid-range though...

Agreed
biggrin.gif
... But it's not noticable for non audiophile ears. overall rich sound. It's already having too much pros.... what we can expect more in $107.

Mar 14, 2006 at 4:07 PM Post #4 of 8
Sound decent (or great if coming from crap headphones), they are very comfortable, they do some half decent isolation. The cons I guess would be that they ain't portable, and they are made a little delicate.

I loved mine, for the price, I wouldn't anticipate regret.

Mar 14, 2006 at 5:07 PM Post #6 of 8
I'm begging that burnin helps my 555's at the moment because I would argue the sound is almost the polar opposite of the A500's. A500's have boomier bass, less bright highs and recessed mids whereas the 555's for me have tighter bass, quite bright highs and prominent mids.

The A500's are vastly larger and more comfortable than the 555's but the cost would be that the 555's are a german tank compared the A500's in duribility.

555's don't know what isolation means whereas the A500's actually provided quite decent isolation.

A500's don't need an amp whatsoever (although I admit I never tried them with one) but the 555's beg for it.

It depends on what you need them for, although this is under the assumption they are the same price. I wouldn't pay more for the 555's
biggrin.gif

Mar 14, 2006 at 5:29 PM Post #7 of 8
Same thing I realised when I connected my A500 to ipod (Boomier bass and lacking mids) but when I connect it to my PC then it becomes stable.
biggrin.gif

Actually I am using equalizer to balance the frequencies
very_evil_smiley.gif
I bought this phone for my pc use only.

But one thing is confusing ! overall A500 gives more pleasure and rich sound OR HD555 ???

Mar 14, 2006 at 5:32 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by manchau
I am pleased to see HD555 in your phones inventory "SeptemberWasp". Can you please compare this with A500
smily_headphones1.gif
...Please.

HD555 and A500 (and similarly, HD595 and A900) comparisons have been discussed numerous times in the forums. Try a search and you should get plenty of results.

To sum it up quickly, they are quite complementary phones. The AT strengths lie in the lows and highs, while the Senns excel in the mids. The ATs are more comfortable, but tend to cause sweaty ears. The Senns are of a sturdier design and material. The ATs do not require an amp (I noticed no significant improvement amping them with my PIMETA), whereas the Senns improve nicely when amped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back