Asus Xonar U7: Does it support stereo and line-in upmixing to surround?
Apr 26, 2015 at 2:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

bonoz

New Head-Fier
Hi there,

I want to use my laptop to produce 7.1 surround sound. I would be happy to go with something like Xonar U7. However, having already tried a creative audigy 2 NX and another cheap 7.1 USB sound card, I wasn't able to upmix the LINE IN signal so that it gets outputted to all 7 speakers rather than just the front two. 

Additionally, I'd want functionality where soundcard is intelligent to play surround audio as surround and play stereo audio as 'virtual' surround (much like Creative's CMSS or stereo surround mode). 

Can I get this with Xonar U7?

Thank you

Apr 26, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #2 of 6

Realistic surround
  1. Surround decoder ― converts 2-channel audio sources to multi-channel, so you experience more immersive sound
  2. Surround virtualizer ― delivers stunning virtual surround playback for standard stereo headphones or speaker

http://www.asus.com/Sound_Cards/Xonar_U7/overview/

Apr 27, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #3 of 6

Realistic surround
  1. Surround decoder ― converts 2-channel audio sources to multi-channel, so you experience more immersive sound
  2. Surround virtualizer ― delivers stunning virtual surround playback for standard stereo headphones or speaker

http://www.asus.com/Sound_Cards/Xonar_U7/overview/

Thank you! That's exactly what I was looking for. 

Also, do you think this decoding would apply to 'line-in' input as well?

Thanks

Apr 27, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #4 of 6

Thank you! That's exactly what I was looking for. 

Also, do you think this decoding would apply to 'line-in' input as well?

Thanks

no, but I can see if my receiver can do it with the analog line in, if that is of any help to you? But i think your best bet is to send a email to Asus. 

Apr 27, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #5 of 6
  no, but I can see if my receiver can do it with the analog line in, if that is of any help to you? But i think your best bet is to send a email to Asus. 

Thanks that would be great. I have also sent email to ASUS and awaiting their response. 

But don't you think that if line-in comes in as a stereo, then with the surround decoder option you mentioned, it should play the line-in to all the other speakers in your setup?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back