Asus Xonar U7 DAC/AMP Impressions Thread
Aug 25, 2015 at 2:36 AM Post #482 of 734
It's all written in the manual:

Low Gain: 0dB for < 32 ohms
Medium Gain: 6dB for 32 ~ 64 ohms
High Gain: 12dB for > 64 hms

Most likely you should be fine with the Medium setting, but you can also try the High Gain. U7 is not ment to deliver so much power anyway, so will not blow your head away, unless sensitive 8-16 ohms IEMs are used. :)

Aug 25, 2015 at 8:54 AM Post #483 of 734
I haven't received my DT 770s yet but I tested the U7 with my Shure 750s (32ohm) and either this isn't very good or there's something wrong with my unit.

When on medium gain and max power its no where near loud enough and the sound quality is about on par with my onboard sound, the lows are seriously lacking. When I put it on high gain the max volume is loud enough but the highs are so high it makes you cringe and is just uncomfortable, and again the lows are almost non-existent.

I thought maybe my old Shures had just stopped working correctly but then I plugged them into my laptop with a Schiit Fulla and at 50% volume I was blowing out my ear drums, also the sound quality was just so much better, especially the lows which where making the cans shake.

If it performs so poorly with a 32ohm headset I cant see it performing very well with an 80ohm headset.

Is this normal? Should I RMA the card or just send it back for a proper AMP and DAC later down the road?

Aug 25, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #484 of 734
Could you please check posts http://www.head-fi.org/t/669127/asus-xonar-u7-dac-amp-appreciation-impressions-thread/465#post_11815396 and http://www.head-fi.org/t/669127/asus-xonar-u7-dac-amp-appreciation-impressions-thread/465#post_11815992? Maybe it's related to U7's headphones plug issue. Basically, you need to plug your headphones only 90% and not 100%; see if this improves the sound or not.

In case this is not your issue, then feel free to test your U7 on another computer or try a different driver (complete uninstall, restart, then install another driver).

Also, might worth checking all settings from UT's control panel, just in case some effects or volumes are having a wrong setup.

Aug 25, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #485 of 734
Managed to get the Xonar U7 Echelon working passably well in windows 10 today.
Downloaded and unzipped the Xonar U7-8.1.11.19(3.13-WHQL) drivers.
Installed the latest U7 Echelon edition drivers, rebooted, and went into device management and forced the dac to use the old U7 driver instead by going update driver, browse computer, let me pick from list, removed the check mark by supported hardware, have disk, pointed at the u7 driver folder and hit next. Dolby Home Theater is working fine, mic is working in steam, and everything seems fine for now.
Only been an hour or so though, so time will tell.

Aug 26, 2015 at 1:20 AM Post #486 of 734
Can this be plugged into a USB to A/C plug to power from a wall socket?
so I can use it as a portable amp to power things like gameboys and ipads?

also, does this transfer ground loop noise from a PC?
I am worried because it is USB only.

Aug 31, 2015 at 6:39 AM Post #487 of 734
Hello fellas, i'm having a few problem with my U7 Echelon. Since my upgrade to windows 10 steam stopped recognizing the microphone, which is quite a pain for me since i can't use the steam voice chat... Any fix for this? I'm using the most recent windows 8.1 64bit drivers for the echelon edition. 

Cheers

-JRT

Sep 7, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #489 of 734
My Xonar D7 on Windows 10 using Xonar_U7_8_0_11_17 driver, microphone doesn't work? There is no sound through the mic input and it makes a slight hissing/crackling noise when you turn mic right up. I've tried each driver, and each produces the same result. The mic itself is fine, I've tested it successfully on multple devices, and it works fine, and I tried my other headset on the Xonar and same problems. I'm using HyperX Clouds if that helps.

Sep 8, 2015 at 5:22 AM Post #490 of 734
  Hello fellas, i'm having a few problem with my U7 Echelon. Since my upgrade to windows 10 steam stopped recognizing the microphone, which is quite a pain for me since i can't use the steam voice chat... Any fix for this? I'm using the most recent windows 8.1 64bit drivers for the echelon edition. 

Cheers

-JRT

I ended up having to go with the Xonar U7-8.1.11.19(3.13-WHQL) drivers (not echelon). That sorted my issues with the mic on my headset in steam chat etc.
To get Dolby working, I had to install the latest Echelon drivers, and then go into device management and manually chose the U7 drivers I installed previously again. Now both work fine, but the U7 camo launcher software still crashes whenever I try to launch it. Will probably have to wait for a new version for that, none of the tricks I've tried have worked so far.

Sep 9, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #491 of 734

I ended up having to go with the Xonar U7-8.1.11.19(3.13-WHQL) drivers (not echelon). That sorted my issues with the mic on my headset in steam chat etc.
To get Dolby working, I had to install the latest Echelon drivers, and then go into device management and manually chose the U7 drivers I installed previously again. Now both work fine, but the U7 camo launcher software still crashes whenever I try to launch it. Will probably have to wait for a new version for that, none of the tricks I've tried have worked so far.

ok, is your card the normal or echelon version? Also, those drivers are pretty old, are they the best ones?

Thanks

Sep 10, 2015 at 4:48 AM Post #492 of 734
ok, is your card the normal or echelon version? Also, those drivers are pretty old, are they the best ones?

Thanks

I have echelon too and installed the latest beta for software and then switched to the whql drivers and steam mic works too. What you don't have with old drivers is the fine tuning of virtual surround and bass and eq options, microphone noise suppression, and the in game sonic radar

Sep 10, 2015 at 8:49 AM Post #493 of 734
Hi, I've found a way to trick games into sending 7.1 signal to the U7 when used as headphone amp.You need to install Razer Surround and select Headphones (2- Xonar U7) as an audio interface and turn it on, then enter the game, wait until you can play, press Alt-Tab, go back to Razer Surround and turn it off. You can verify in Sonic Studio Pro if it's working (I only tested in Witcher 3 and MGSV:TFP ).

Sep 10, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #494 of 734
Hi at all guys!
I bought this audio card one year ago, and I'm using it with my bose companion 2.1
Right now i want to search for some better speakers, like two monitor with maybe a subwoofer.
For example i found this pari: BEHRINGER B1031A Truth
are this good?
Sorry if i ask here, but i don't really know other good forum where ask about that :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back