ASUS Xonar Essence STX II
Jan 11, 2019 at 2:38 PM Post #721 of 888
I also lost the ability to switch between sensitive ohms and big can ohms.
The original drivers did not allow 192/24 but optical playback.
Be good to get the ohms switch ability back.

Jan 13, 2019 at 4:05 AM Post #723 of 888
I don't notice any problems with original STX II drivers. Plus, I have the latest Audio Centre GUI, latest ASIO and GX drivers. And, of course, I can connect IEMs without a buzz.
10225945_thumb.jpg

As I said, try it, you will see. I was disappointed.

Attachments

• info panel.jpg
    info panel.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 0
Feb 8, 2019 at 7:08 PM Post #724 of 888
I'm looking into getting a STX with daughter board for my next computer build. The only ones I can find are on ebay and are from Japan. Will there be any issue with getting one of those? I plan to feed the 8 channels into a Marantz 6013 going to polk monitor 70s, 50s, and 40 speakers for movies and games. Any suggestions on opamp upgrades?

Feb 9, 2019 at 1:53 AM Post #725 of 888
@gf113 Suggest populating the STX II maincard and accompanying H6 daughtercard with National Semiconductor®/Texas Instruments® LME49990NA dual amplifiers (8 total) in the I-V and Signetics® NE5534P dual amplifiers (4 total) in the line-level buffers. The 49990 is an affordable step up from the stock Japan Radio JRC2114D's for accuracy across the frequency range in the I-V position.

Feb 9, 2019 at 3:30 AM Post #726 of 888
Guys, I have that card for 2 years by now and i'm very happy with it :)
Tho, I think it's time to upgrade my OPAMPs (the ones of amped headphones connection)

I'm looking for an even more detail, bigger soundstage and transparency. suggestions please?

Feb 23, 2019 at 2:22 PM Post #728 of 888
Hi,
i've upgraded my STX2 with 3 burson V6 Vivid opamp, and the sound is outstanding, both in terms of details and audio separation. It's really a huge improvement over my (already not that bad) z390 Aorus Master audio output (wich uses an ESS 9118 and ALC1220)

The only drawback on the burson V6 is that they are tall, and you need to check if you have enough space for them

Mar 2, 2019 at 11:56 PM Post #729 of 888
I have recently installed the Unified Driver for the STX II and I can confirm it definitely makes my HD6xx headphones sound better. A definite noticeable difference. My next thing to do will be to get Burson V5 or V6 op amps to put in this thing. I probably won't do that until some time in the summer though. I just bought the HD6xx headphones off Massdrop and my wallet needs a break. This card is amazing. I noticed on NewEgg, that EVGA has released a similar "audiophile grade" sound card. Does anyone have any experience with that card? It looks like a lot of the components are from a company called "Audio Note" or something to that effect. Are they well known in the biz? I'd like to hear from people who have tried the STX II and that EVGA card also.

Mar 3, 2019 at 8:32 PM Post #730 of 888
anyone getting low volume on their microphones using the stock driver or the unified driver + mic boost? I'm having trouble with it when talking to friends on discord, they say that my voice is too low

Mar 6, 2019 at 5:18 PM Post #731 of 888
anyone getting low volume on their microphones using the stock driver or the unified driver + mic boost? I'm having trouble with it when talking to friends on discord, they say that my voice is too low

No I don't. I use Discord as well and people can hear me just fine. Did you go into the Discord settings and turn up your mic volume?

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2019 at 6:02 PM Post #732 of 888
I’d had this problem with the original drivers and I had to go into the settings to set High gain on the mic.
I can’t find the setting In the newer drivers

Mar 6, 2019 at 9:30 PM Post #733 of 888
Hi,
i've upgraded my STX2 with 3 burson V6 Vivid opamp, and the sound is outstanding, both in terms of details and audio separation. It's really a huge improvement over my (already not that bad) z390 Aorus Master audio output (wich uses an ESS 9118 and ALC1220)

The only drawback on the burson V6 is that they are tall, and you need to check if you have enough space for them
In fact I did, and I've no such space, as both my systems have the PCIe x1 and x16 slots immediately adjacent; both put the video display adapter on the component side of the XONAR Essence. I'm currently waiting on Burson Audio to build a V6i dual amplifier using a monolithic transistor array consistent with, but not necessarily identical to, that in the V5i. The ASUS® CM1630-06 where I had my STX prior to 2016 also runs an EAH6850DC video card alongside the Creative Laboratories® SB1550 (installed 2016) that Microsoft® Windows® 10.0.17763.320 better tolerates; the EAH will go into my Gigabyte® GA-MA78GM-S2HP-based ubuntu® rig, once I've an RX-series DirectCUII® VDA (currently supported in Win 10) to replace it. The STX runs happier than a hog in slop under ubuntu 16.04.5-LTS, as ALSA snd-virtuoso has access to more controls than the C-Media® CMI-8788 drivers MaxedTech® packages in the UNi XONAR Audio Software.

Mar 7, 2019 at 5:53 PM Post #734 of 888
In fact I did, and I've no such space, as both my systems have the PCIe x1 and x16 slots immediately adjacent; both put the video display adapter on the component side of the XONAR Essence. I'm currently waiting on Burson Audio to build a V6i dual amplifier using a monolithic transistor array consistent with, but not necessarily identical to, that in the V5i. The ASUS® CM1630-06 where I had my STX prior to 2016 also runs an EAH6850DC video card alongside the Creative Laboratories® SB1550 (installed 2016) that Microsoft® Windows® 10.0.17763.320 better tolerates; the EAH will go into my Gigabyte® GA-MA78GM-S2HP-based ubuntu® rig, once I've an RX-series DirectCUII® VDA (currently supported in Win 10) to replace it. The STX runs happier than a hog in slop under ubuntu 16.04.5-LTS, as ALSA snd-virtuoso has access to more controls than the C-Media® CMI-8788 drivers MaxedTech® packages in the UNi XONAR Audio Software.

Don't forget that the Xonar uses a PCIEx1, and as such, you can put it in ANY PCIEx port, wether it is a x1, x4, x8 or x16
It won't fill the full length of the port x4 and up, but it doesn't matter, it'll still works flawlessly.

You can't put it in a x1 port ? Put it in a x8 or x16.
Doesn't even require any adaptor or anything.

Mar 7, 2019 at 10:19 PM Post #735 of 888
Don't forget that the Xonar uses a PCIEx1, and as such, you can put it in ANY PCIEx port, wether it is a x1, x4, x8 or x16
It won't fill the full length of the port x4 and up, but it doesn't matter, it'll still works flawlessly.

You can't put it in a x1 port ? Put it in a x8 or x16.
Doesn't even require any adaptor or anything.
The problem is, both my systems have only one PCIe x1 and one PCIe x16, with two legacy 32-bit PCI slots. Had I an ST rather than the STX, I could run up to three Sparkos® SS3602's, Burson® V5i's, or competitive, as the closest slot to case bottom is PCI for both rigs; there's not quite enough room for the full-size Burson V's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back