ASUS Xonar Essence STX II
Sep 24, 2018 at 3:56 PM Post #691 of 888
Hey guys, been through this entire thread, I've had the card for a few weeks now and I'm enjoying the upgrade having given up my RealTek on board audio. Things are working well, I've switched to the UniXonar drivers (yes donated ten bucks because it was a very worth while upgrade). I also did get the Burson V5-I but haven't installed them yet. Waiting to become really familiar with things so I can better judge the changeover once I do it. I'm 50/50 speakers and headphone The speakers are Kef Q100 and the headphones are the Massdrop Sennheiser HD58x.

So; basic intro out of the way, here's the question.

I really dislike the "process" of switching from 2 Speakers Out to Headphone Out, especially when it's just a quickie thing I want to try or listen to, and then the same process of switching back. If I get an inexpensive DAC/Headphone amp can I simply run the S/PDIF out from the card (COAX) into another DAC and use that simultaneously along with the speakers?

Sep 25, 2018 at 2:43 AM Post #692 of 888
Hey guys, been through this entire thread, I've had the card for a few weeks now and I'm enjoying the upgrade having given up my RealTek on board audio. Things are working well, I've switched to the UniXonar drivers (yes donated ten bucks because it was a very worth while upgrade). I also did get the Burson V5-I but haven't installed them yet. Waiting to become really familiar with things so I can better judge the changeover once I do it. I'm 50/50 speakers and headphone The speakers are Kef Q100 and the headphones are the Massdrop Sennheiser HD58x.

So; basic intro out of the way, here's the question.

I really dislike the "process" of switching from 2 Speakers Out to Headphone Out, especially when it's just a quickie thing I want to try or listen to, and then the same process of switching back. If I get an inexpensive DAC/Headphone amp can I simply run the S/PDIF out from the card (COAX) into another DAC and use that simultaneously along with the speakers?

Or you can buy Cinch splitter for RCA output: http://viablue.de/cn/y_adapter.shtml
... and buy some headphone amp.

Oct 2, 2018 at 4:13 AM Post #694 of 888
Yeah, STX II works well as a pre-amp. Especially with a good filter op-amp.
Headphone amplification on STX II is not as good for hungry headphones.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2018 at 2:20 AM Post #697 of 888
@dB Cooper I've had no issues with the Antec® TruePower® New™ 750 Blue™ on either of my two rigs - four +12VDC rails and a +5/+3.3VDC joint capacity of 170W. Have yet to utilize any of the six-rail LEPA® supplies in a build; but if they can run as clean as the Antec® TruePower® Quattro™ 1200, they're winners.

Oct 31, 2018 at 8:32 AM Post #699 of 888
@dB Cooper I've had no issues with the Antec® TruePower® New™ 750 Blue™ on either of my two rigs - four +12VDC rails and a +5/+3.3VDC joint capacity of 170W. Have yet to utilize any of the six-rail LEPA® supplies in a build; but if they can run as clean as the Antec® TruePower® Quattro™ 1200, they're winners.

Likewise, I've had no issues, then again I'm using a Corsair HX850 Gold. It's a little long in the tooth since I bought it in 2011 but it sat unused for four years since I never got around to building the build I was intending it for. The HX series is a fantastically clean line.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2018 at 10:39 PM Post #700 of 888
hi, all. i've had a titanium hd since 2013. i am looking to buy the stx 2. back then i had looked at the original stx but was a soundblaster fan at the time. had a few cards from them before getting the titanium hd. i decided to upgrade the soundcard or see if there was anything better. i don't game at all really which seems to be the thing for creative cards. at the time i was a heavy gamer on pc but was also becoming a music lover. So i am looking to get it mainly for music playback. i also don't know and have not read much into upgrading the components on the card. my titanium hd is just the stock card. It seems spec wise the stx 2 is definitely better than the titanium hd and if the stx original was considered better for music i'm thinking the stx 2 would be a good investment. i may look into upgrading parts on the stx 2 if i buy it but would read into it a bunch before ever trying it out. Please let me know what your guys thoughts are for a titanium hd to stx 2 upgrade specifically for music playing. i've recently gone to windows 10 and the titanium hd works just as good as it did on windows 7.

Thanks all

Dec 25, 2018 at 5:24 AM Post #702 of 888
hi, all. i've had a titanium hd since 2013. i am looking to buy the stx 2. back then i had looked at the original stx but was a soundblaster fan at the time. had a few cards from them before getting the titanium hd. i decided to upgrade the soundcard or see if there was anything better. i don't game at all really which seems to be the thing for creative cards. at the time i was a heavy gamer on pc but was also becoming a music lover. So i am looking to get it mainly for music playback. i also don't know and have not read much into upgrading the components on the card. my titanium hd is just the stock card. It seems spec wise the stx 2 is definitely better than the titanium hd and if the stx original was considered better for music i'm thinking the stx 2 would be a good investment. i may look into upgrading parts on the stx 2 if i buy it but would read into it a bunch before ever trying it out. Please let me know what your guys thoughts are for a titanium hd to stx 2 upgrade specifically for music playing. i've recently gone to windows 10 and the titanium hd works just as good as it did on windows 7.

Thanks all

I was a heavy game myself until around 2012 when started losing interest in gaming and eventually stopped playing completely early 2015 when became devoted to music listening and bought the STX II. Before that I was using the SB XtremeGamer for both gaming and music which was much better than the onboard audio. With the stock STX II, I was stunned by the performance improvement. If you ever have the chance to try some very expensive external DAC/amps (up to 2000 Euros I can comment) you'll realize that the STX II sets the stage for the "audiophile" experience. From there on, by spending more and more for external high-end stuff you'll get better sound quality but the same music concept. It is the same as Playstation 1. It was a massive improvement back then and a new "picture" in gaming over the previous consoles. With the PS2 and until this moment we have the same 3D concept but with better graphics, sound, realism etc...So, consider the STX II as the PS2 (Not the PS1!), and you get the picture.

And like Webber1 said above, the Burson op amps is the luxury upgrade for this card which almost doubles the cost but....Once you put on that card 3 dual channel towers you'll say goodbye to the Titanium HD without remorse and possibly with a smile on your face.

From my experience, I'll tell you that the weak point of this card compared to external stuff is the amplifier. You should expect to hear some resonances/sibilance with heavy/crowded vocals and instruments at higher volumes occasionally but this is normal for a 200 Euro DAC/amp sound card. With a decent desktop amp these small problems go away.

Despite I own the Burson Conductor V2+ which produces much cleaner audio across the board I sometimes find myself switching to the STX II DAC-out for its slightly different sound signature and I enjoy it too, this says a lot for the DAC performance of this card.

Lastly, don't forget that migrating from Creative to Asus means new DNA of audio. Different dac chips, codecs etc. You may like the change, you may not! But from a performance stand point, switching from the TiHD to the upgraded STX II will be a big jump ahead.

Hope that helps :beerchug:

Dec 25, 2018 at 12:53 PM Post #704 of 888
hi, all. i've had a titanium hd since 2013. I am looking to buy the STX 2. back then i had looked at the original stx but was a soundblaster fan at the time. had a few cards from them before getting the Titanium HD. I decided to upgrade the soundcard or see if there was anything better. I don't game at all really which seems to be the thing for creative cards. at the time I was a heavy gamer on pc but was also becoming a music lover. So i am looking to get it mainly for music playback. I also don't know and have not read much into upgrading the components on the card. my Titanium HD is just the stock card. It seems spec wise the stx 2 is definitely better than the Titanium HD and if the STX original was considered better for music i'm thinking the stx 2 would be a good investment. i may look into upgrading parts on the stx 2 if i buy it but would read into it a bunch before ever trying it out. Please let me know what your guys thoughts are for a Titanium HD to stx 2 upgrade specifically for music playing. I've recently gone to windows 10 and the Titanium HD works just as good as it did on Windows 7. Thanks all
I myself prefer Asus sound cards over Creative sound cards.
I used the original STX card (with AD797BR op-amps) for years, before replacing it with a $400 (unit + shipping) external DAC/amp (Audio-GD).
But if I was you.
I would disable the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS (if not done already).
And get a headphone amplifer and connect it to the line-output (RCA) jacks on the Ti-HD (Titanium-HD) sound card.
As long as the Ti-HD functions on your Win 10 PC, I do not see a good enough reason to replace it with a newer sound card (unless you just want to, for whatever your reason would be).
In the future, if music is still your biggest audio need on your PC, replace the Ti-HD with an external DAC/amp (Audio-GD NFB-11.28?)

Dec 25, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #705 of 888
thank you both for the information. some cool stuff out there. for now i'll stick with the stx 2 and perhaps get the burson amps soon after. but i'm definitely looking forward to it. and those burson boxes look awesome.
Technically, the line-output (RCA), on the Ti-HD is better then it's headphone jack (audio quality wise), as the line-output takes advantage of all the op-amps on the Ti-HD, while the headphone jack only uses two of the TI-HD's opamps.
And I would prefer a $100 external headphone amplifer (Magni, O2, Atom, etc), over the headphone amplifer built into the STX & STX II cards.
What headphones do you use?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back