ASUS Xonar Essence ST with ASUS Xonar H6 (Extension Card) + Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speaker System!!??
Sep 22, 2010 at 1:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

LiquidExtreme12

Head-Fier
Hi all. As most of you are familiar with the ASUS Xonar Essence STX sound card, the ST model is pretty much the same card, but can also be attached to the ASUS Xonar H6 extension card, which gives it full 5.1 channel support via RCA analogue cables.

The problem I have is that my Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speaker System uses 3 inputs for the analogue surround sound, but the card uses 6. On my Z-5500, I have inputs for the Black, Green, and Orange RCA cables. This is how everything is set out:

Logitech Z-5500:

Black cable: Takes care of Centre channel and Subwoofer.
Green cable: Takes care of Left and Right channels.

Orange cable: Takes care of the Rear Left, and Rear Right channels.

ASUS Xonar H6 (Extension Card):

Output 1: Right.
Output 2: Left.
Output 3: Centre.
Output 4: Subwoofer.
Output 5: Rear Right.
Output 6: Rear Left.

I don't know how to connect my speaker system via analogue cables to the card. The sound card itself also has Coax and Optical inputs, but the whole point of buying the extension card was so I could use the DAC of the sound card instead of the DAC of my speaker system (which isn't that great).

Please help me guys, I don't know what to do!    

Sep 30, 2010 at 6:49 AM Post #2 of 14
Hello, I think I might be able to help. The bad news is that the solution will cost you a little. On the actual soundcard, there should be two phono outputs (I think thats what they are called). They will be red and white I think. Those are for the front left and right. You will need a cable like this one . As you can imagine, the phono ends go into the soundcard, the 3.5 mm jack goes into the logitech control pod. You will need another one of these cables to connect the back L/R speakers via the H6 card. Finally you will find, on the back of the H6, a channel for centre/sub. This can be connected using one of these . I have not tryed this, so I can't guarantee it will work. But the logic behind it seems valid. Good luck.

Oct 3, 2010 at 7:17 AM Post #5 of 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenerDiode /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Not with the Essence ST unfortunately cladisch. I don't know what comes with the H6 expansion board, but I'm guessing that didn't include the aforementioned cables either.

The only thing that came with the extension board was the internal cable that is used to connect the actual sound card with the extension board. That adapter you were saying, is it an RCA to 3.5mm Y cable? It says on the box that one is provided, but only one!

Oct 3, 2010 at 4:12 PM Post #6 of 14
Yes, RCA to 3.5mm Y cable sounds right. The one that came with the card is female 3.5mm I think. 3.5mm jacks combine left and right channels into one connector. With RCA connectors, as seen on the Xonar H6, there is a separate cable for left and right. The Y cable should allow you to combine the left and right from the card into one 3.5mm connector.

Oct 3, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #10 of 14

Quote:

I'm a bit tired, so don't take my word for it, but I think it should look something like this. That should give you an idea anyways.

I understand exactly what you mean, thank you. However, I'm a little confused about the Centre/Subwoofer channels. How will I know which is the Red and which is the White? I understand how it works for the Left and Right channels but what about these?

Oct 3, 2010 at 7:43 PM Post #11 of 14
I understand your dilemma. After searching all over the place, I still have no answer. I think the sub may be the red connector. Will it do damage if you get it wrong? I doubt it. The sub will get the frequencies intended for the center, and the center will get the frequencies intended for the sub. I am afraid I have no definitive answer 
frown.gif
I'll keep searching.

Oct 3, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #12 of 14

Quote:

I understand your dilemma. After searching all over the place, I still have no answer. I think the sub may be the red connector. Will it do damage if you get it wrong? I doubt it. The sub will get the frequencies intended for the center, and the center will get the frequencies intended for the sub. I am afraid I have no definitive answer 
frown.gif
I'll keep searching.

Well, I appriciate all your help. If you can find me an answer, I would be forever greatful to you. Thank you for taking the time to do the diagram, it really helped!

Nov 26, 2010 at 1:28 PM Post #13 of 14
@LiquidExtreme12, have you tried to plug this center/sub cable in anyway and test with a well known surround sample? You can get here (or mirror here). It's supposed to play in this order: front left, front right, center, back left, back right and subwoofer. I think that with this you'll know if you're using the RCA plugs in the right position. :)

Jan 12, 2011 at 7:37 AM Post #14 of 14
Hi.
If there is a Philips MCD908,Mini Hifi system(tube preaplifier, class D power amp,and three way speakers with ribbon twitter,so has a very good quality,besides its 500 Euros price),plus the above Logitech Z-5500,Asus ST+H6 combo,how can I put them together,so as to have as the front R-L the Philips speakers,taking the front  R-L  Logitech speakers, out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back