Asus Xonar Essence ST + RHA T0i Headphones
May 27, 2015 at 1:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Newbie87

New Head-Fier
Hi again. Since my first post got ignored, probably because my question was too specific, I decided to buy the RHA T10i in-ear headphones.
This question is gonna be short. I don't have much of experience and maybe for some this question will sound stupid, but anyway, here it goes:

I'm currently listening to music via the Realtec 892 Audiochip that my motherboard came with. I came across the Asus Xonar Essence ST and so I was wondering if my choice of headphones is even good enough so I would benefit from a dedicated soundcard such as the Asus Xonar Essence. What do you think? Should I even bother testing or would that be in vain altogether?

Thank you.

May 27, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #2 of 4
A dedicated sound card is almost always going to be a better option than onboard.

You are also much better going through the sound card ports rather than the front audio ports on your pc case (which in most cases are poorly shielded and could have interference in the audio signal).

May 28, 2015 at 5:04 AM Post #3 of 4
  Hi again. Since my first post got ignored, probably because my question was too specific, I decided to buy the RHA T10i in-ear headphones.
This question is gonna be short. I don't have much of experience and maybe for some this question will sound stupid, but anyway, here it goes:

I'm currently listening to music via the Realtec 892 Audiochip that my motherboard came with. I came across the Asus Xonar Essence ST and so I was wondering if my choice of headphones is even good enough so I would benefit from a dedicated soundcard such as the Asus Xonar Essence. What do you think? Should I even bother testing or would that be in vain altogether?

Thank you.

Hey Newbie87!

The T10i are optimised for use with mobile devices, you might get a bit of improvement in the performance with a dedicated card, but they'll perform pretty well with the built in chip.

Cheers,

RHA Team

May 28, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #4 of 4
I'm currently listening to music via the Realtek 892 Audio chip that my motherboard came with. I came across the Asus Xonar Essence ST and so I was wondering if my choice of headphones is even good enough so I would benefit from a dedicated sound card such as the Asus Xonar Essence. What do you think? Should I even bother testing or would that be in vain altogether?

The Essence ST's headphone jack has a10-Ohm output impedance, which is not the best for use with the 16-Ohm RHA T10i in-ear headphones.
Where as the FiiO E10K and Schiit Fulla (USB-DAC-amps), both have an output impedance of less the 1-Ohm, much better match for 16-Ohm headphones.

The FiiO E11K headphone amplifier, $60, has an output impedance of less then 1-Ohm :)
and can be used with an Asus Xonar DX (or D1) sound card (CS4398 DAC chip), used $50 on eBay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back