Asus Xonar DX + Astro Mixamp, redundant?
May 3, 2015 at 5:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Degree

100+ Head-Fier
Alright so I used to play a lot of console back in the day and got a astro 40 + mixamp.

Since then I've put away the A40 and got the ATH-M50X, so now I'm running with the Asus Xonar DX + Astro Mixamp + ATH-M50.

Is the mixamp redundant? Should I just be using the Xonar DX sound card and put away the mixamp? Currently I have the mixamp connected to the soundcard via S/PDIF.

Thanks guys!

May 3, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #2 of 6
The Xonar DX/D1 models do not have a built in headphone amp. So I wouldn't be surprised if the Astro Mixamp works better. However, do you have an optical port on your computer? If so, then might as well take out the DX if you like the Mixamp better as the DX wouldn't be helping the Mixamp since it has Dolby virtual surround, right?

However, since you own both, you should make your own judgement based upon how they sound. What we think doesn't matter :)

May 4, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #3 of 6
  Alright so I used to play a lot of console back in the day and got a Astro 40 + mix-amp.
Since then I've put away the A40 and got the ATH-M50X, so now I'm running with the Asus Xonar DX + Astro Mix-amp + ATH-M50.
Is the mix-amp redundant? Should I just be using the Xonar DX sound card and put away the mix-amp? Currently I have the mix-amp connected to the sound card via S/PDIF.

The Xonar DX and Mix-amp both come with headphone surround sound, but the Xonar DX's CS4398 DAC chip offers better audio quality.
The only negative with the Xonar DX is the high (100-Ohm) impedance of the headphone (line-output) jack.
So get the FiiO E11K headphone amplifier ($60), connect the Xonar DX's headphone jack to the line-input on the E11K and plug the M50X into the E11K headphone jack.
The E11K's >1-Ohm output impedance should improve audio quality, over plugging the M50X directly into the Xonar DX.
The Schiit Magni headphone amplifier would also work well with the Xonar DX.
The only reason for keeping the Astro around is for console gaming.

Hopefully you disabled the motherboard on-board audio, in the BIOS, before you installed the Xonar DX and the Asus software/drivers.

May 4, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #4 of 6

The Xonar DX and Mix-amp both come with headphone surround sound, but the Xonar DX's CS4398 DAC chip offers better audio quality.
The only negative with the Xonar DX is the high (100-Ohm) impedance of the headphone (line-output) jack.
So get the FiiO E11K headphone amplifier ($60), connect the Xonar DX's headphone jack to the line-input on the E11K and plug the M50X into the E11K headphone jack.
The E11K's >1-Ohm output impedance should improve audio quality, over plugging the M50X directly into the Xonar DX.
The Schiit Magni headphone amplifier would also work well with the Xonar DX.
The only reason for keeping the Astro around is for console gaming.

Hopefully you disabled the motherboard on-board audio, in the BIOS, before you installed the Xonar DX and the Asus software/drivers.

Alright thanks!

Can't afford to buy the amp yet so I'll save up for it.

I didn't disable the on-board audio, I just left it on auto. Is there a problem if I did install the Xonar DX Drivers when I didn't disable the onboard audio? I installed the UNi Xonar drivers instead of the official ones also.

Is the DTS/DDL important? I thought the only way to get that is through the mixamp and connect it to the soundcard.

Also one last question, I have it set to 8 CH in C-media, should I change that?

May 4, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #5 of 6

Can't afford to buy the amp yet so I'll save up for it.
I didn't disable the on-board audio, I just left it on auto. Is there a problem if I did install the Xonar DX Drivers when I didn't disable the on-board audio? I installed the UNi Xonar drivers instead of the official ones also.
Is the DTS/DDL important? I thought the only way to get that is through the mix-amp and connect it to the sound card.
Also one last question, I have it set to 8 CH in C-media, should I change that?

Sometimes active on-board causes issues with an add-on internal sound card, sometimes having active on-board and and add-on sound card works great.
I think it's just safer to leave the on-board fully disabled, in the BIOS.
I prefer the Uni drivers over the Asus.
You have to have DDL (enabled) to get the Astro Mix-amp to provide headphone surround sound, otherwise the Mix-amp only provides stereo audio.
An Asus Xonar DG or DGX sound card ($25-$35) is about roughly equal to an Astro Mix-amp.
Maybe sell off the mix-amp and use the cash for the E11K?

Setting the Xonar DX Audio Channel to Ch 8 is fine for movies and gaming, but might be a little better to set it to 2-ch, for music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back