asus STX to schiit lyr
Oct 8, 2013 at 11:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

MoonSung

New Head-Fier
Hi, I currently own an asus STX and would like to purchase a schiit lyr to add to the chain.  What sort of connection should I make between the asus stx to the schiit lyr?  Should I simply use RCA cables or is there any benefit of using S/PDIF from the STX?

Oct 8, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #2 of 4
  Hi, I currently own an asus STX and would like to purchase a schiit lyr to add to the chain.  What sort of connection should I make between the asus stx to the schiit lyr?  Should I simply use RCA cables or is there any benefit of using S/PDIF from the STX?

As you can not connect directly to the Lyr using S/PDIF.
Using RCA to RCA from the STX to the Lyr is going to be the best possible direct connection.
Using the STX's  RCA output bypasses the STX's headphone surround sound, so the RCA outputs only provide basic 2-channel stereo audio source (which should provide great music audio).

Low cost "Premium" RCA cable.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021814&p_id=5346&seq=1&format=2

In the future, you could get an external DAC, connect the STX to the external DAC (Bifrost?) using S/PDIF (optical or coaxial) and use RCAs to connect the external DAC to the Lyr.
This way you could still use the STX headphone surround sound features.

Oct 8, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #3 of 4
Using RCA to RCA from the STX to the Lyr is going to be the best possible direct connection.
Using the STX's  RCA output bypasses the STX's headphone surround sound, so the RCA outputs only provide basic 2-channel stereo audio source (which should provide great music audio).

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021814&p_id=5346&seq=1&format=2

In the future, you could get an external DAC, connect the STX to the external DAC (Bifrost?) using S/PDIF (optical or coaxial) and use RCAs to connect the external DAC to the Lyr.

Thanks for being very helpful PurpleAngel

Feb 9, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #4 of 4

-----

Users who are viewing this thread

Back