Asus STX/ST TPA6120 - super or crap ?
Sep 9, 2009 at 12:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

thoppa

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I'd like to hear from anyone who has one of these sound cards !
regular_smile .gif
Please let me know what headphones you're using, and what ATX or other power supply you're using, and what you think of the sound quality !
L3000.gif

I have HD650s (silver baffle) and I've been using an ATX or an alternative smps psu, neither of which have made much difference to the bright sound and somewhat muted bass response through the headphone out.

If you've managed to get decent sound out of this amp, please let me/us know and, of course, how ! If, like me, you don't think it is all that, please also say why.

Thanks !

Tom

PS. ok, so I know this might turn into yet another opamp thread, so please, if you MUST mention op amps, keep it brief. Thanks.

Sep 9, 2009 at 1:36 PM Post #5 of 22
Are you joking ? This isn't an op amp thread ! I've used lots of different ones and now I'm using the best ones, okay ?
wink_face.gif

Some ppl here are saying the TPA is not-so-hot on this card. Is it ? Of course, you must have rolled a lot of op amps to know, but I think cans and power might be major factors too. So that's why I'm asking....

EDIT : I see you use LME49720HA. I have tried the MA (smt on adapters). I prefer AD8599.

Sep 9, 2009 at 1:54 PM Post #6 of 22
both a friend & I have tried it on the DX1k/DT770 600Ω/cd1k(same drivers as cd3k)...and well, what can I say? the trebles are harsh, the sound is agressive.

luckily the line-out has pretty high gain, far better specs(only on the STX, the ST doesn't match the STX crosstalk on the line-out..nor the ST HP out)

if you want an agressive sound w/ distorted trebles, the HP amp is a great choice! I'm not kidding, some ppl are really not looking for a laid-back neutral sound(metal, harcore techno and what not).

the line-out carries far better RMAA specs, together w/ the ability of rolling all the op-amps...I personally favored the OPA2132P...far better sounding than this $2.25 "part"(for lack of a better word
tongue.gif
)

Sep 9, 2009 at 2:09 PM Post #8 of 22
well, a serious HP amp like the RSA Hornet...doesn't quite cost $2.25
wink.gif

and when a company decides to put a more serious discrete HP amp(Forte 7.1), they fill it w/ the crapp*est op-amp on earth(NJM4580)
rolleyes.gif

yes, ATX(BeQuiet 500W and Corsair 520W)

Sep 9, 2009 at 2:15 PM Post #9 of 22
Don't forget the IC is only a fraction of the cost of making an amp. The EVM for the TPA6120 costs US$100 and that doesn't include a PSU. People have commented that even that is cheap. Plus, I've looked through the DIY threads and ppl have been successful with the TPA6120....just maybe not in the ST(X).........maybe...I'm hoping someone out there has, and knows the "magic" formula....

Sep 9, 2009 at 4:13 PM Post #10 of 22
I really don't understand what the fuzz is all about. For such a price I doubt you can find a better amp/DAC combo, but then again, if you argue that the ST/STX's amp is better than a, say Hornet, you definitely aren't getting the point of it.

With that in mind, I have an Audio-GD C2C incoming in a week or so, and will make extended comparisons when it arrives. In the meantime I must say the HD650s (silver baffle) sound satisfactory out of the HP amp (3x LME49720s, PC PSU - Hiper HPU-4M880). I did a comparison of the HP amp vs line out to Headroom Total Airhead and preferred the onboard amp - has a lot more driving force and extends dynamic range.

So, if you want it put into numbers, I guess 2.25$ > 100$.
rolleyes.gif

Sep 9, 2009 at 4:23 PM Post #11 of 22
Satisfactory for the money hits the nail on the head.
beerchug.gif
I'd like more than that though, and I wonder if it is ATX power that limits the sound to 'reasonable'.

Please post your impressions when your new amp arrives !

Thanks

Sep 9, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by thoppa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Satisfactory for the money hits the nail on the head.
beerchug.gif
I'd like more than that though, and I wonder if it is ATX power that limits the sound to 'reasonable'.

Please post your impressions when your new amp arrives !

Thanks

The amplifier chip itself is only part of the equation. The DAC,opamps..caps..etc..all play a part when your talking about the output quality of the headphone output.

There are a couple guys that already built custom supplies for the STX when they were first released, have you talked with any of them?

Sep 9, 2009 at 9:26 PM Post #14 of 22
Hi,

I hope ppl will share in a forum, not by PM, so can you post links to other threads if I've missed the TPA discussion going on elsewhere ?

Have you got the TPA/headphone out to perform well ? I think not from what you've said elsewhere. So what cans and power are you using ?

Thanks,

Tom

Sep 9, 2009 at 11:36 PM Post #15 of 22
I've only found documentation of +12 from the PC supply - if the card splits this and you lose a Volt off each side from op amp output swing limit then you may not have enough Vswing for low sensitivity, high impeadance cans

The TPA6120 excels at high output current for a op amp so may be a better match to low Z cans when the supply V is limited

I've used it with +/-15 V supplies in multiloop amps as the output with no complaints

Users who are viewing this thread

Back